HDMI-ETHERNET adapter for remote liveview...

Started by is.videoproduzioni, December 18, 2012, 02:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

is.videoproduzioni

Hello everyone!
I was wondering if we could ever use an HDMI-ETHERNET adapter like this http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17prlaql0885ijpg/original.jpg
to send canon's HDMI output directly inside the LAPTOP Ethernet IN, and then decode the VIDEO LIVE STREAMING with a software like VLC.

All this could maybe permit us to use our laptop as external monitor without the need of an HDMI video card, or the use of the LOW FPS usb tethering shooting software.
Nikon D4 already have something similar..

It's just a wrong idea or it could be done?

Thank you,
Jack

Michael Zöller

It's just an extender that lets you use different cables. It does not decode the video signal in any way.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

is.videoproduzioni

I know this, it would be just to solve the lack of "HDMI IN" in almost all of the laptops.

To decode the video stream, we could use VLC with the right codec and settings. It

Jack

nanomad

That adapter doesn't convert HDMI signal to Ethernet, it simply routes the HDMI through the Ethernet wires. It's handy because a long ethernet cable is cheaper than an HDMI one
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

scrax

Quote from: is.videoproduzioni on December 18, 2012, 06:33:48 PM
To decode the video stream, we could use VLC with the right codec and settings.
If that's true I don't see why it should not work
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Michael Zöller

:) Guys, nanomad is right. Again, the signal at the other end of the LAN cable won't be a network signal, the network card won't know what to do with it. Worst case, it might even harm it. The cable is not supposed to be put into a network card.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

scrax

I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

1%

This is for running HDMI over long distances. It goes HDMI -> Cat5 -> another HDMI adapter.

vertigopix

Quote from: 1% on December 19, 2012, 01:56:15 AM
This is for running HDMI over long distances. It goes HDMI -> Cat5 -> another HDMI adapter.

That's right !
It use the ethernet cable to "transport" hdmi, it's a sort of passive device... We use it sometimes.

deleted.account.01

Quote from: is.videoproduzioni on December 18, 2012, 02:39:47 PM
Hello everyone!
I was wondering if we could ever use an HDMI-ETHERNET adapter like this http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17prlaql0885ijpg/original.jpg
to send canon's HDMI output directly inside the LAPTOP Ethernet IN, and then decode the VIDEO LIVE STREAMING with a software like VLC.

All this could maybe permit us to use our laptop as external monitor without the need of an HDMI video card, or the use of the LOW FPS usb tethering shooting software.
Nikon D4 already have something similar..

It's just a wrong idea or it could be done?

Thank you,
Jack

i  can streaming Video from my camera on my desktop pc or laptop with Canon EOS Utility.. but i  cant  save it or rec  on hdd in pc..( with photos this stuff is eazy and allready possible  ) .. so if i can have real time Preview of my video from Camera on my computer screan but Canon software what i use not allowing me to save video data on hdd in DesktoPc only on memory card  i thing it its very possible to save this data with out hdmi pciEx card stright on hdd from pc...just matter of ``lie`` software,,or use some not suported software for caputring screan..there must be way for save it with some third part software..

1%

Its doable but the video size is too small. Related to implementing mjpeg as that needs a larger size too and is the same function. USB doesn't have enough bandwidth though and the "video" is going to be pretty laggy.