Moving around with camera: Pseudo manual settings?

Started by Mister Paul, December 11, 2012, 06:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Paul

Hi,

sorry for this naive question but I need your advises for shooting handheld in a place where I'll not create the light.
I mean that I'll not be placed behind a tripod with my settings fixed for the planned scene with fixed enlightenment,
but I'll be in real life moving everywhere following and filming people that are themselves moving around...

So there will be movements!
And exposition will change... I need to let something automatic, no?

What would be your settings approach ?
Manual video mode with a global setting made (aperture, shutter speed) and keep WB, ISO in automatic mode to adjust automatically?

Thanks for your advises for best practice
;)
Paul

Mister Paul

Oops too long question...
:P

I should have asked:
have you full manual settings for documentary or TV news when DSLR is handheld and moved around the place?
;)

Malcolm Debono

Depends mostly on your style.

I shoot a lot of weddings and most of the time (a good 90%) use natural light which can vary quite a lot in certain places (for example having a lamp on one side, and a large window on the other side). I prefer leaving everything on manual as I have more control over what's happening, and I don't like my camera to decide how bright/dark something is.

Let's say you have a well-lit person with a dark background. You know that the person is lit correctly so you can easily expose for the person, but the camera doesn't. So if you do any pans etc., when the background takes a large part of your shot, the camera will expose for the background thus overexposing your subject.

The only thing I do leave on auto when I know I don't have loads of time to keep changing settings is WB, and from experience that works quite well (and if it isn't 100% accurate I can easily fix it with some colour correction in post).

You have to go out, experiment, and see what works best for your scenario to answer your question  ;)
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

Mister Paul

Thanks

After you create your global settings for a scene, on what parameter do you act to adjust them?
Is it ISO like Bif in this post?
http://www.t2iforum.com/video-specific-general-discussion/how-to-reduce-noise-in-video/msg21188/#msg21188