[WAS DEFECTIVE BEFORE INSTALLING ML] Dead 50D

Started by kaijo, December 11, 2012, 02:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaijo

Hello. My 50D is dead. This is how it happened.

I managed to install ML and I was going through info screens on my camera's back display when my 50D suddenly turned itself off after few minutes. Battery sign was blinking on LCD top screen. I'm pretty sure I switched the camera off and then I took out the battery as I was afraid that some program loop might overheat my camera  and kill it.

Now 50D doesn't start up anymore. No lights, no response to any button presses. I found out things to do when camera is bricked:
-I took off lens, CF card, battery and small battery and also the lens. Then I put them back and tried to turn on the camera but nothing happened.
-I repeated previous steps and tried to power it up without CF card, but nothing happened
-I formatted the CF card and tried to start up my camera, but nothing happened.

Before I installed ML, I downgraded 50D firmware from 1.0.9 to 1.0.8 because http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Install   tells that ML works only with 1.0.8. After downgrading I got ERR 06 (sensor) every time I turned on the camera. Then I disabled automatic sensor cleaning. Then I tried installing ML without succes (not 100% sure  if I remember this correctly). Then I found out that I CAN use 1.0.9 firmware.  I se-install 1.0.9 back to my 50D, but sensor error ERR 06 was still there. I disabled it automatic sensor cleaning, and then I installed ML. Installation was success. I restarted the camera and started reading info screens and after few minutes my camera was dead

I believed the advertisement talk that "hundreds of professionals are usin ML and they have had no problems with it". I am a professional and I had my camera die...
Thank god it was not my 5D II!
Dear people of this forum, I count on your help to fix my 50D.

KAI

a1ex

QuoteBattery sign was blinking on LCD top screen.
Did you recharge it?

QuoteAfter downgrading I got ERR 06 (sensor) every time I turned on the camera.
This means you had some problems with your camera before installing ML, so I doubt your problem is related to ML.

The SPT mailing archives (SPT is a camera service network) also mention a problem with a 5D2 with blinking battery sign, but the battery is charged (another hint of possible hardware problem).

g3gg0

hi.

sad to hear that your camera is dead.

but from reading your post, i just see that you had a SEVERE error right before Magic Lantern was involved.
cmon. an ERR06 is nothing like "oh it will go away soon, just lets continue".
i wold have stopped right there and checked where this error came from.

did you
a) replace your battery?
b) check the button cell battery in your camera?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

kaijo

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 11, 2012, 02:43:07 PM
did you
a) replace your battery?
b) check the button cell battery in your camera?

Yes I tried with three batteries fresh from charger.
Then about the sensor cleaning error ERR 06  and the button cell battery:
When I had sensor cleaning error (err 06), I removed battery many times. Soon I figured how to get around sensor cleaning error by opening and closing battery door while power was on, and then disabling automatic sensor cleaning function. The button cell battery works because it kept the time and date information before during battery removals. This was before ML was installed
ERR 06 appeared after I succesfully installed firmware 1.0.8 from 1.0.9 (downgrade).

I tried LED blinkin diagnostics program. I downloaded the autoexec.bin file to CF card and put it to camera and tried to turn it on but nothing happened. No led blink.

Should I try something else?

kaijo

kaijo

Perhaps my 50 D camera would be alive now, if there hadn't been conflicting information about what firmware should be used?
Sensor cleaning error came after I succesfully downgraded my 50 D firmware. It's funny how that can trigger ERR 06

One page says firmware 1.0.8 should be used for 50D http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Install
Another page says firmware 1.0.9 should be used for 50D http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install

I don't believe in this theory, but I'm not an expert.
I'm sure that no matter what software was put into camera, it should be possible to ge it removed and get the camera back normal.

Francis

If is was indeed the "successful downgrade" that caused the ERR06 then it was not so successful. I'm sorry you were mislead by a very out-of-date install guide on a different site. We'll have to find someone with the rights to change or delete that wiki page. Considering the specificity of (some) of Canon's error codes, this sounds like a hardware issue and not related to your firmware downgrade. The timing is impeccable if it is coincidence. It might need to go in to Canon for service.

g3gg0

Quote from: kaijo on December 11, 2012, 03:45:39 PM
Perhaps my 50 D camera would be alive now, if there hadn't been conflicting information about what firmware should be used?

the firmware you put on your camera is original canon software.
any error raised due to fw up/downgrade is clearly beyond our responsibilitiy.
if there smth went wrong, its not our fault.

i am not sure if it matters which version of canon firmware you use on that model.
there are models that have minor firmware updates that dont differ in software.
it might be possible that both 1.0.8 and 1.0.9 work.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

kaijo

Thanks for many quick answers. I appreciate it.
The problem seems to lie in firmware installation which might have been not so successfull. Maybe my cheap CF card was corrupted.

Could anyone here suggest what I could do to fix the camera? I'd like to try something before I send the camera to repair shop. It's still worth of having it repaired.

KAI

deleted.account.01

Quote from: kaijo on December 11, 2012, 02:03:04 PM
Hello. My 50D is dead. This is how it happened.

I managed to install ML and I was going through info screens on my camera's back display when my 50D suddenly turned itself off after few minutes. Battery sign was blinking on LCD top screen. I'm pretty sure I switched the camera off and then I took out the battery as I was afraid that some program loop might overheat my camera  and kill it.

Now 50D doesn't start up anymore. No lights, no response to any button presses. I found out things to do when camera is bricked:
-I took off lens, CF card, battery and small battery and also the lens. Then I put them back and tried to turn on the camera but nothing happened.
-I repeated previous steps and tried to power it up without CF card, but nothing happened
-I formatted the CF card and tried to start up my camera, but nothing happened.

Before I installed ML, I downgraded 50D firmware from 1.0.9 to 1.0.8 because http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Install   tells that ML works only with 1.0.8. After downgrading I got ERR 06 (sensor) every time I turned on the camera. Then I disabled automatic sensor cleaning. Then I tried installing ML without succes (not 100% sure  if I remember this correctly). Then I found out that I CAN use 1.0.9 firmware.  I se-install 1.0.9 back to my 50D, but sensor error ERR 06 was still there. I disabled it automatic sensor cleaning, and then I installed ML. Installation was success. I restarted the camera and started reading info screens and after few minutes my camera was dead

I believed the advertisement talk that "hundreds of professionals are usin ML and they have had no problems with it". I am a professional and I had my camera die...
Thank god it was not my 5D II!
Dear people of this forum, I count on your help to fix my 50D.

KAI

u was try format memory card with ( i dont remember program name :/ )   that program what is needed to ML ?

some not long time ago i was made few tests and one another one i was have something similar..
i was thing camera just Die`d... but reason was only bad formated memory card..

i knwo it can sounds no sense but ..happend

Edit :

Quote from: kaijo on December 11, 2012, 03:45:39 PM
One page says firmware 1.0.8 should be used for 50D http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Install
Another page says firmware 1.0.9 should be used for 50D http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install

if i remember  good . corect me if am wrong..

nightly  = 1.0.1
2.3 V     = 1.0.2

and i got still same camera..maybe thats why u saw  these things

Edit :

some electronical devices got Reset button..maybe canon got one to..i knwo silly stuff but maybe..

i will try conect camera to some another batterys or to computer .. or something blockin mechanical parts in side.