Way to transfer pics to USB device?

Started by ebroesicke, December 10, 2012, 10:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebroesicke

Not sure if this is possible, but wondering if it is possible to transfer files directly to a USB device (via the camera USB connection)?  Not a PC obviously.  I have a few USB flash drives that i got for free and was hoping someone could come up with a way to use them in the field???

Francis

There is no protocol for the camera to act as the host and transfer. When tethering, it is the computer that is the host and doing the transferring.

SDX

This would require some hardware you'll have to build yourself. Not an easy task though.
If you are interested and skilled enough, I'll sum it up for you:
- You need two MAX3421E or alike for the USB master part. One for the camera, one for the storage device.
- You need a processing unit for handling the protocol, controlling the MAX and basically transferring.
- You might need some sort of buffer. Here it gets really tricky.
- You need to implement the PTP protocol, that's some coding work.

What I want to say with it: Yes, it is possible. But it requires quite allot of skill, time and also resources to do so.

avi

any android device with usb otg (like a galaxy s 3 ) ;)

ebroesicke

well, thanks for the replies guys, I figured it would have been done already if it was possible.  Wishing I had a different phone right about now cause that looks like an interesting solution.  Any coding or hardware solutions are way above my pay grade....