600D or 60D With EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens For Trade Show?

Started by Ma2T, December 08, 2012, 02:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ma2T

Hi guys,

I've been following ML for over a year now, and am very impressed.

I'm attending CES trade show early next year and am planning on filming a lot., (with a directional mic).

I currently have the 450D with the newer EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens.

I'm on a tight budget. I was planning on getting the T3i (600D), but for about $100 more I can get the 60D body only.

I'm now leaning towards the 60D and using my EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens / 50mm prime.   For just $100 more it seems to make sence to make the jump up the ladder some what.

I have been looking around for the last few hours.  I hope I'm not missing anything.  And assume it will work with my lens okay.

I'm a keen photographer, but plan on filming tradeshows, and maybe some more arty stuff.

Thank you SO much.  I'd really appreciate an input or 2 cents.

1%

60D has better build quality. 600D has better video. Kit lens will work on pretty much anything, but you usually need something better than that. Audio will limit video quality on both cameras. Its more or less a tossup.

Ma2T

Many thanks for your reply 1%.

I like the idea of the better build quality, I often leave my camera out for timelapse, and dew can build up etc, and will look to upgrade the lens when I can.  I'm hoping audio won't be too much of a problem with an external mic.

Slightly disappointed to hear video is better on the 600D.  Maybe I ask how it is better?

Thanks so much.

1%

Crop mode and files over 4gb as well as a few more bit rate hacks.

Ma2T

Ah okay. Thanks so much for your expert input 1%, really appreciated.

I'll take a look into both of these.

It would be great it there was a page showing differences, pros / cons for each camera for people looking to buy a camera with ML in mind.

Thanks again 1%!

scrax

The build quality is better doesn't meat that build quality of 600D can't resist to staying outside...
there are some magnesium part on the 60D but despite older X0D it's not tropicalized, at leat that is what i remember.
Biggest differences I can remember are double battery life and better/faster shutter mechanism but no video crop mode for 60D.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

phunkyboy

I've a 550 D ,the build quality is fine . If you're used to a 7D ,it will feel like junk much in the same way if you drive a ferrari ,you wont be impressed by a Ford. The kit lense isn't a great choice as it's very soft. Of course it's usuable for a scene or two (for variety) but i wouldn't recommend shooting all day with it because  of that reason .I used one once on a video and the footage was useless. Plus if you're indoors at a car show the environment is a low light environment in places. I video and shoot indoors at bboy competitons and I swear by the 50 mm lense 1.8. I recently got a 1.4 and i personally don't buy lenses over aperture of 3 because I don't have the luxury of artificial light to help me.

This video explains perfectly why a kit lens is not a good choice in low light situations.

http://youtu.be/5w2q8JM317I

Tmunah

Quote from: scrax on December 15, 2012, 11:37:49 AM
The build quality is better doesn't meat that build quality of 600D can't resist to staying outside...
there are some magnesium part on the 60D but despite older X0D it's not tropicalized, at leat that is what i remember.
Biggest differences I can remember are double battery life and better/faster shutter mechanism but no video crop mode for 60D.

What is video crop mode?

scrax

Quote from: Tmunah on December 26, 2012, 07:15:30 AM
What is video crop mode?
On 600D you can have a 3x-10x digital zoom. More than 3x is interpolated so it will reduce quality, instead 3x is not.
It will record from a crop of the sensor so you will have less moire at the price of less DOF control.
So far this function is present only in 600D.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

1%

Heh, for build quality, 6D feels just like a 600D only a bit more solid. So its not bad by any means.

Chungdha

600D is the only camera with the video crop mode in the Canon Range and it increases the zoom range quite allot with out using the quality and keeping it 1080p, just only don't zoom in too much or else you loose quality, mainly if you dont go pass the 5x zoom it still is good too use. Also is great as you don't need to carry more lenses with you as you can add this bit of extra zoom. 600D is much better option, the better build is nothing to brag about, only if you are afraid of dropping the camera. But mainly be always pretty careful with the camera. I atleast drop my 550d from heights above 1meter several times mostly busted several lenses and got several scratch marks but still works, still not really recommended to drop a dslr.