[SCRIPTING] Auto set focal distance to hyperfocal

Started by Dingus, December 01, 2012, 05:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingus

Hello all, this is my 1st post.

My eos-m is on its way back from being converted to infrared with a 850nm filter (my third modified camera). I consider camera bodies to be attachments for my lenses.

The feature that would save me time would allow me to set the camera to the HyperFocal distance for the focal length and aperature (and sensor CoC) I was using.

My current procedure is to -

• 1 Look up the HF distance on my cheatsheet or use a nomograph.
    2 Measure off that distance between my camera and a wall.
    3 Do a 1 time autofocus on the wall
I use wideangle lenses and only turn the AF on momentarily for setting up as I just described.

As an alternative, a list of focus distances that I could create and select from would work just about as well and wouldn't require the camera to do the HF calculation.

Thanx for asking  :)

Francis

I had to look up the definition of a nomograph :)

This technically could be possible but the big limitation is what data is reported from the lens. Currently there is a hyperfocal calculator built in to ML, however setting the focus to that distance with 1 button push could be difficult. Some lenses do not report the focal distance at all. Others only report at large intervals (e.g. reports .5m, 1.5m, 3m, 5m, etc) which might jump over the hyperfocal, especially if you are dealing with wide-angles.

Also splitting this off into a feature request so it might be better found in the future.

makofoto

Can't you just use a smart phone app to determine HF distance?

Audionut

Quote from: makofoto on June 11, 2013, 10:54:43 PM
Can't you just use a smart phone app to determine HF distance?

It won't be smart enough to automatically set the lens to that distance though ;)

a1ex

Look in the scripting area, there is one script that does something similar (posted by Greg IIRC)

cameron12x

Has any more thought been given to this? 

I think that all of us have had shooting situations where we wanted everything in focus from infinity to the hyperfocal distance indicated by the lens focal length and aperture setting.  It would be a great time saver!