Intervalometer vs. FPS Override (German/Deutsch)

Started by SidePortTV, November 25, 2012, 09:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidePortTV

Hallo zusammen,
ich habe hier einmal die Intervalometer Funktion mit der FPS Override Methode verglichen.
Ich weiß, die beiden Methoden sind etwas völlig verschiedenes, doch viele Leute haben mich angesprochen und gesagt, dass sie
Timelapses nicht so gerne machen möchten, weil das den Sensor auf Dauer schädigt. Daraufhin habe ich dieses Video erstellt.
Vielleicht hilft es ja jemandem! ;)

I love Magic Lantern. My T2i couldn't live without it.

scrax

I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

SidePortTV

I'm sorry. :( But the pictures speak for themselves, don't they? :)

scrax

yes, and I'm starting to like tutorials in different languages... today i've watched one in portuguese and understood nothing too :D
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

jplxpto

Quote from: scrax on November 28, 2012, 09:10:02 PM
yes, and I'm starting to like tutorials in different languages... today i've watched one in portuguese and understood nothing too :D

Ich werde nichts verstehen Ihres Handbuchs :) ehhehe

stanalekseev

Could you (anyone) translate what are the cons and pros of each as shown in the video?

Francis

I can't translate because I do not speak German but I can come up with a few.

FPS Override
Pros: records timelapse straight to video file so no need for post processing, smaller file sizes, no shutter actuations, instant playback possible
Cons: limit on shutter speed (some models locked to shutter of 1/FPS), limit of interval (longest interval is .2fps or 5s), image quality < stills, no cropping possible without up-sampling.

Intervalometer
Pros: lots of resolution to work with (crop and zoom, higher res video possible), RAW post-processing (WB, exposure adjustment, etc), any interval possible, any shutter speed possible, bulb-ramping
Cons: hard on the shutter (1000 shots ~= 50s of video = 1% of cameras shutter life), lots of post needed, much larger files

SidePortTV

Thanks! That's quite the same what's in the video. :) Good Pros and Cons.

halbmoki

Also FPS-override:
+ very fluent motion (well, that's a matter of taste)
- hot pixels and noise after a while, even with low ISO

I often use intervalometer and silent picture together with my 50D. The resolution is very low (still good enough for web video and many projectors), but it allows you to use any interval and is easier on the battery since ML can turn LV off between shots. Several hours of timelapse (taking pictures every minute) are no problem without killing the shutter mechanism. I guess noise is also less of a problem, though I didn't make a direct comparison yet. Since FPS override also affects silent pictures, shutter speeds to 5sec are still possible and that's enough for most situations except night shots far from the city. For my timelapse shooting of urban life, I find it the best solution.

mr.vijayaraghavan

Quote from: halbmoki on December 03, 2012, 10:27:12 PM
Also FPS-override:
+ very fluent motion (well, that's a matter of taste)
- hot pixels and noise after a while, even with low ISO

I often use intervalometer and silent picture together with my 50D. The resolution is very low (still good enough for web video and many projectors), but it allows you to use any interval and is easier on the battery since ML can turn LV off between shots. Several hours of timelapse (taking pictures every minute) are no problem without killing the shutter mechanism. I guess noise is also less of a problem, though I didn't make a direct comparison yet. Since FPS override also affects silent pictures, shutter speeds to 5sec are still possible and that's enough for most situations except night shots far from the city. For my timelapse shooting of urban life, I find it the best solution.

Hi!  I have just (in a new topic started by me) sought to know how to view the pictures in a computer and also stitch them together to make a time-lapse movie.  Yet to get an answer; in the meantime, I came across your comment.  Since you are already making SILENT time-lapse movies, will you please guide me as to the post-production techniques.  Should I have to download any ML software for that?  Which software is better and fast?  Awaiting your reply

c2s07

I prefer FPS override, and have used it for the 10 timelapses on my channel. In the 9th one though, there's a bit roughly in the middle where the exposure slightly saws back and forth as the scene gets darker and the camera tries to adjust for it. But that's likely my mistake in some way, and fixable.

And one minute taking 1% of the shutter life sounds crazy to me. It's probably true, I'm not arguing with that, but still crazy. :)

jayhas

The shutter count factor was at first a 'deterent' for me to do more intervalometer timelapse. It was like godsend when fps override was made available on ML. But after using both for a while there are more times the oomph of intervalometer TL is a must have and just close my eyes to shutter count:)

Here is a fps speed test video I did sometime ago and have updated to include a short side-by-side fps/intevalometer comparison. http://vimeo.com/48570899

Francis

Remember that the shutter assemblies are very replaceable at a reasonable cost through Canon. I've heard that it ranges 150-200USD but never had to do it myself.

jayhas

Yes I heard the cost of shutter replacement is pretty reasonable, however, the thought of not having your go-to camera for a couple of weeks (at least, where I am) during replacement is not really comforting. Of course there will come the day it will have to be replaced, hopefully not too soon:)