60D Digital Level Control

Started by iannicholson, November 23, 2012, 03:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iannicholson

In the Canon 60D, there is a digital 'spirit level' that helps you to level the camera.

I was just wondering if it was at all possible to capture that information in the log file?

For some VFX instances, it might be useful to know the angle at which the camera was placed in order for the VFX guy to composite the camera image onto a background.

Just an idea!

clint

several months ago I recommended something similar or if it could log the angle changes, but it didn't seem to pick up much interest.
    I agree it would be nice to start recording that data.  Paired with the zoom and focal point data already being tracked, it could be quite handy to import into a Comp project. However, I guess with how easy tracking and match moving is these days with 3D trackers, planar trackers and 2.5D tracking it didn't pick up much interest.  The issue would also be that AE, Nuke, AVID, Blender or whatever your comp app choice might be, it would have to be able to read the log file or we would have to be able to convert the log file into a generic camera transform file.

With all the sensors slowly being added to cameras, I was hoping Magic Lantern would (over time) log enough info from cameras to moved toward a home-brewed steady-cam solution.  Not for layered motion passes, but for importing camera transformation and focal point data into comp and 3d applications.   I think it'll be awhile yet.