5d MkII and Marshall V-LCD50-HDMI Issue and Question

Started by thinkstopthink, December 20, 2012, 03:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thinkstopthink

Hi,

Just using the FPS Override for the first time and love it! Was shooting for about 12 minutes and the screen on my LCD went a little crazy, then shut off. I thought the batteries ran down (no battery indicator! C'mon Marshall!), so I unplugged the HDMI and replace the batteries. All of this with the camera still running (I thought). When I plugged the monitor back in and switched it on, there was a black screen but the audio indicators were moving (shouldn't be in FPS Override mode). I then looked at the top of the camera and saw "Busy" flashing, and assumed it was writing the end of the file. But then the entire LCD started flickering with strange patterns. I popped out the battery as fast as I could. Stuck it right back in, fired up the 5D, and started recording again. So... just FYI, it seems like your HDMI device can't shut off while recording or things will go sideways really fast.

Anyone else have this experience? I'm guessing this is expected behavior?

Question: is there any limit to how long you can record in the FPS Override mode? Other than battery strength and card capacity, of course.

Thanks!

Jon
www.jonwitsell.com

Francis

The only other limits are the 4gb file size or 30min of resulting video.

thinkstopthink

Quote from: Francis on December 21, 2012, 04:42:08 AM
The only other limits are the 4gb file size or 30min of resulting video.

Hi Francis, thank you for that. Would I be correct to assume that since I'm shooting a very low frame rate, that the 30 minute hard limit is going to be the limiting factor?

Have any idea of how to calculate this? In other words, there has to be a crossover point (a certain FPS) where you hit the 4gb file size before you hit the 30 minute hard limit of the camera.

An example would be this: at what FPS can I shoot at, that will allow for a 30 min video and nearly a 4 gb file? What is the fastest FPS that will maximize video length while nearly hitting the 4gb limit.

I'm not asking for academic purposes. I'm going on a trip to some very secluded areas in SE Asia and I'd like to have a rough indicator on how long a video I will be able to shoot with a given frame rate. I'd hate to be in the middle of an amazing once-in-a-lifetime video and then have recording stop because I don't know how long I can record at those settings.  ;D

I guess I could just set different frame rates and check with a timer when the recording stops, but I'm guessing there is a mathematical way of figuring it out.

Any ideas?

Jon
www.jonwitsell.com

nanomad

There's no standard answer because the bit rate varies with the complexity of the scene.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

thinkstopthink

Quote from: nanomad on December 28, 2012, 03:46:36 PM
There's no standard answer because the bit rate varies with the complexity of the scene.

Thanks. Guess I have some reading to do:

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Bit_rate

:o

Jon
www.jonwitsell.com