Uninstall ML to update Canon firmare and then ML 2.3

Started by carroticus, November 03, 2012, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carroticus

I currently have Canon firmware 1.1.0 on my 60D and it is suggested I have 1.1.1 to upgrade to Magic Lantern 2.3.

The installation guide suggests I format the card and then update the firmware. If I format the SD card (16GB) and put that back into the camera with the Canon firmare update on it, the camera won't start. I get the flashing light

If I leave the ML files on the SD (so I can boot camera) and try to remove ML from there using following instuctions, I do not get the "remove magic lantern" option on my 60D, the card is just formatted...

Uninstalling ML from one card
∙ Format that card from the camera (select this option: Format card, **remove* Magic Lantern*)
and reboot. Your camera will load the original firmware when you use that card.

I've made several attempts and re-read guides and posts, but I am obviously missing something! Thanks to anyone who can offer advice.
Canon 60D w ML | Tamron 28-75mm f2.8; Canon 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 | Zoom H2n | Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Production Premium & Lightroom

Francis

carroticus

Yes. I tried both the normal and low level format, both times the card would not be read in the camera thereafter.
Canon 60D w ML | Tamron 28-75mm f2.8; Canon 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 | Zoom H2n | Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Production Premium & Lightroom

nanomad

Try using eoscard to disable the boot flag from a pc
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

carroticus

Thanks so much for the suggestion nanomad. I have never done it before but I shall give it a go as per the guide. I will report back shortly!

carroticus

Well, I'm stumped. This is what I did:

1. Formatted card in camera
2. Put card in computer. Ran eoscard and took off the bootdisk, saved
3. I add the 60D 1.11 firmware file to the card
4. When I put card back in camera, a brief screen shows the words "Firmware Update" with a line but no other text. Then the camera won't boot at all.
5. When I put the ML files back on card the camera will boot, so obviously there is something that still needs to be changed to support original firmware...

What am I missing?

scrax

Try this:
1 - download this and unzip it on the card
2 - with ML 2.2 on the card start the camera
3 - from canon menu start the firmware update

if all works you will see a green text with instructions on how to remove the boot flag (I don't remember if is needed to move the scroll-wheel or the mode dial.)

Once the bootflag is removed the text will be white and you can restart the camera and format the card (low level).
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

carroticus

Brilliant! It worked!

I got a red screen that immediately disabled the bootflag (no option) then it sat on a menu that said if I turned the mode dial it would try to find ML. I switched off, restarted, did low level format. When I turned it off it showed the firmware update screen again so I had to remove battery. Put 111 on there, put in camera and it loaded the firmware immediately.

Now I can look at installing 2.3. Thank you so much for your help!