[DONE] basic image review options - eg simulate post-process exposure change

Started by sea, July 21, 2012, 03:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sea

would be handy if when reviewing images, you could simulate using the exposure control in lightroom or exposure image adjustment in photoshop to rebalance an image.

often i'll take a photo, review it and think 'yeah, i'll _probably_ be able to fix this in post', only to find that the blacks are crushed or the whites are clipped.

if we could do a simulated +1ev, -1ev on an image, you'd quickly see if the range is ok, or if it needs another shoot. I'd love to say that I shoot 3 image brackets every time, but that rarely happens. :)

ooh, an even awesomer feature (yes its a word) would be to show 3 versions of the image, regular exposure in the middle, simulated -1ev on the left, simulated +1ev on the right.

other controls like lift/gamma/blackpoint/whitepoint etc would be nice, but just seeing faked exposure would be very handy.

(edit) yes I'm aware of the histogram, but that's not the same nor as intuitive as just checking the image range visually in the way i described.

a1ex

That means re-developing the RAW shot with new parameters - extremely difficult.

I think some new cameras have this in the playback menu though.

sea

Yeah, I could imagine trying to process raw with the on board proc would be heavy. What about limiting it to jpegs then?

Leon

Sounds useful.  Is this in main release ML 2.3 or need to get a new build?  If it's in the main one, how do you access it?

a1ex

sea