Magic Lantern for 30d

Started by raman_nkp, October 21, 2012, 05:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raman_nkp

Hi ML creators,

Firstly, many congratulations on the great work being done.

I was wondering if ML is possible for 30d also, as it is 90% same as 5dc. There are a lot of 30d users out there who would love to have this.

Thanks again for the stupendous work.

nanomad

No known ML dev has a 30d in his hands.
If you manage to find one, I don't see why it wouldn't happen
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Trampampam

I also own 30d and would really love to have your wonderful ML.
Hope the dev will be found.

I wish I understood all this computer-software things so could take part in developing, but alas :(

jw2k_fr

I have a 30D, and have done a little hacking of devices - android, linkstations, and would be prepared to work with someone as their 'mule' if they can point me in the right direction...

coutts

Here's a good starting point:

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Developing_info

basic steps:

- setup arm toolchain to have arm gcc and compiler tools
- download source code from official repository: www.bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern
- start porting, follow the 5dc and 40d ports since they are both vxworks as well.

first step is to extract a firmware update from a signed canon updater (refer to tools here_. after you have mapped some of the firmware out and understand how it works, begin porting ML.

Adapt cache_hack boot method from 40D init.c (under platforms/40d folder in ML sourcecode) and boot the main firmware, while hooking your first task in.
Then, enable bootflag (to allow booting with autoexec.bin file), then dump the whole firmware (0xFF810000 - 0xFFFFFFFF). enabling the bootflag will allow you to boot with just the autoexec.bin file without packing it into a signed FIR update file.

More info on packing FIR files for older cameras: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Packing_FIR_Files
You can find the tools you need there too (links to them).

salmis

I have 30D. 350D. 60D
I can help by testing or developing, if guided what to do.
what is the status of 30D version? has anybody tried something for that?

@ngel

I was a happy user of ML on a 600D and now I'm getting a 30D
I'd be more than happy to help! Let me know!!!

1%

@ngel

So, is there any developer with a 30D who could help this become true :)

rfdesigner

So..   another call for 30D.

I'm a hardware R&D engineer, used to writing low level firmware and developing hardware from digits to analgue to RF to microwave..  I work in ASIC semiconductor development.

I would be happy to help on any development, beta testing etc, but I'm not an out and out 'softie'.

wes

Hey guys - I know this thread is a little stale, but I have a 20D and some dev skills. I'd love to attempt a port for the 20D, which if completed, would probably be pretty simple to edit for the 30D...

1%

Start reading the 5Dc and 40D threads then follow along. There is no encryption on these cams I think.

eos me

What are some benefits for a 30D with ML? I'd love to have ML running on my 30D with some high usable ISO features.
Using Tapatalk

a1ex

Learning ARM assembly language is one of them :D

Walter Schulz

Quote from: eos me on February 21, 2014, 11:41:04 AMI'd love to have ML running on my 30D with some high usable ISO features.

You mean ISO higher than 3200? No, you won't love it. ISO 3200 on 30D is 1600 pushed up -> decreased dynamic range and ML cannot do much about it.

Ciao
Walter

eos me

Yea that's what I thought. I don't think the 3200 is usable and even sometimes on the 1600 I see noise.. :(  but definitely would love to see ML for the 30D though...
Using Tapatalk

Walter Schulz

Then: No, you won't love ML on your 30D at all.

lippcruz

news about ML for canon 30D?

Stedda

Quote from: lippcruz on August 20, 2014, 01:54:33 PM
news about ML for canon 30D?

Quote from: coutts on December 08, 2012, 05:33:42 AM
Here's a good starting point:

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Developing_info

basic steps:

- setup arm toolchain to have arm gcc and compiler tools
- download source code from official repository: www.bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern
- start porting, follow the 5dc and 40d ports since they are both vxworks as well.

first step is to extract a firmware update from a signed canon updater (refer to tools here_. after you have mapped some of the firmware out and understand how it works, begin porting ML.

Adapt cache_hack boot method from 40D init.c (under platforms/40d folder in ML sourcecode) and boot the main firmware, while hooking your first task in.
Then, enable bootflag (to allow booting with autoexec.bin file), then dump the whole firmware (0xFF810000 - 0xFFFFFFFF). enabling the bootflag will allow you to boot with just the autoexec.bin file without packing it into a signed FIR update file.

More info on packing FIR files for older cameras: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Packing_FIR_Files
You can find the tools you need there too (links to them).

Looks like it's waiting for someone with the camera to start the process.... someone like you...
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

webflunkie

This is by no means a promise to get ML working on the 30D. But after checking this thread a few times wondering if there has been anyone to start the process, and finding that there has been none. I decided to try and begin following the steps provided way back in 2012. I have a bit of time most evenings, and decided it would be an interesting project that would cause me to do a heck of a lot of learning.

So that said, I've completed the following tasks:

• Getting the dev environment up and running (I used the lazy method of the pre-built VM)
  • Downloaded Source Code
  • Extracted Firmware update file

The firmware update file I extracted was the 1.0.6 update, which I then realized my 30D was still on 1.0.5. So I updated my firmware.

Still To Do (in no particular order):

• Map and begin understanding firmware
  • Read much more on the 5dc and 40D ports
  • Not brick my camera
  • Much, much more

This is a start and I'll try and go as far as I can.

webflunkie

I was having trouble getting some of the tools working on the pre-built VM so I decided to create my own VM for this process. Had trouble building the tools at first as I chose Ubuntu 14.04. After getting some help on the forum, thanks to josepvm, I was able to get the tools up and running on Ubuntu 12.04.5.

Currently running the ARM Console against a firmware dump from the 1.0.6 update. The estimated ETA for that process being greater than 13 hours means I'm heading to bed.

zenclimber

hi webflunkie,

any luck so far? i have a 30D lying around gathering dust... if I sell it i can get maximum 100,- (now, but not in a year time) but if ML could be working I could use the 30D for time lapses.

I guess since the LCD screen is a lot smaller, the ML menu part needs to be re-written quite a bit.

what are your intended goals with the ML port for 30D?

I'm a front-end developer, not a lot of low level knowledge but if i can help on parts let me know! do you want to share your develop VM image?

kitor

QuoteI guess since the LCD screen is a lot smaller, the ML menu part needs to be re-written quite a bit.
Not exactly, since 30D and 5Dc had the same screens, and there's ML for 5Dc.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

ghostmanno

Quote from: zenclimber on October 10, 2014, 02:29:31 PM
hi webflunkie,

any luck so far? i have a 30D lying around gathering dust... if I sell it i can get maximum 100,- (now, but not in a year time) but if ML could be working I could use the 30D for time lapses.

I guess since the LCD screen is a lot smaller, the ML menu part needs to be re-written quite a bit.

what are your intended goals with the ML port for 30D?

I'm a front-end developer, not a lot of low level knowledge but if i can help on parts let me know! do you want to share your develop VM image?

Time lapse with ML would have be awesome, not wear out the shutter mechanism. Would have been really nice to have ML on the 30D.

Greg

Just sell 30D and buy 500D.
30D + $50 = 500D  :P