Is it My Camera or the SD Card?

Started by DJHaze596, October 19, 2012, 04:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJHaze596

I have a T3i with a 32GB Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s Card.   I can Comfortably take it to 1.4x CBR, but i can also take it to 3.0x "Sometimes"...  Sometimes it stops,  Sometimes it will let me record for 5 Minutes Straight.  I Just don't get it,  All i know is if i take the ISO to 1250,  It stops immediately.  So keeping it at Low ISO's Obviously helps but it's still not Consistent like 1.4x even if i Disable Audio.  So my Question is,  Is it My Camera or the SD Card?  And would a Sandisk Extreme 64GB 95MB/s Card Help with this or will it just be a waste of Money?

1%

ISO + Complexity affect the actual rate. That card probably doesn't have enough sustained write to keep up. 45MB/s is just a burst read speed for marketing.

You need something that can do 18-20MBytes/s sequential write to get the highest bit rates/qualities. Pretty much sandisk "pro" cards and a few other tested exceptions in the SDXC realm.

It will never be consistent. Some scenes MAX quality makes 70mbps, some scenes it makes 199mbps. Difference was worth ~$60 patriot card for me, $180 pro card... that I don't know. Good cards should be giving you "2.0x" at least under most conditions.

But.... MJPEG will need high rates too so you're kinda future proofing.

ilguercio

Do a bitrate test and tell us what the results are.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

DJHaze596

Quote from: 1% on October 19, 2012, 06:38:44 PM
ISO + Complexity affect the actual rate. That card probably doesn't have enough sustained write to keep up. 45MB/s is just a burst read speed for marketing.

You need something that can do 18-20MBytes/s sequential write to get the highest bit rates/qualities. Pretty much sandisk "pro" cards and a few other tested exceptions in the SDXC realm.

It will never be consistent. Some scenes MAX quality makes 70mbps, some scenes it makes 199mbps. Difference was worth ~$60 patriot card for me, $180 pro card... that I don't know. Good cards should be giving you "2.0x" at least under most conditions.

But.... MJPEG will need high rates too so you're kinda future proofing.

Ok,  So what kind of Card do you Recommend or think i should get?

Quote from: ilguercio on October 19, 2012, 06:42:00 PM
Do a bitrate test and tell us what the results are.

You mean like Bitrate Info?

1%