High Speed Video Recording

Started by hf4711, October 16, 2012, 08:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hf4711

Relatively new to ML I read the doumentation to the video FPS modes. There is a link to a High-Speed-video-recording on youtube (basketball). It's implied it was made at 1/8000. So , what does that mean?

It looks really slow. Made at 1/8000 at which FPS?

I set exposure override and FPS override. The max FPS seams to be 67 FPS nevertheless. The youtube video looks a lot slower than 3 times the normal FPS.

I fiddled with the A and B setting but I do not understand the user-manual on these. It's very brief on these settings.

How does High-Speed recording with ML work (and my 600D - in that case)?

HF

Malcolm Debono

I think by high speed you mean slow motion, right?

If so, set the video mode to NTSC and set the recording mode to 720p60 so that you record at 60 frames per second (no need to go into FPS override). Set the shutter speed to at least 1/120. If you're shooting fast action, increase the shutter speed (e.g. 1/500 etc.) so that you remove motion blur. While this makes video look smoother, it's best to get rid of it if you intend to slow the video further in post (e.g. using Twixtor in AE).
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

Francis

It was shot using a shutter speed of 1/8000s and then slowed down in post production. To use frame interpolators like Twixtor to slow down footage, you need very sharp images with no motion blur to produce the desired effect. If you are using a slow frame rate you have the motion blur (which is preferred for normal speed video) frozen into those slow motion sequences which looks very strange and makes it harder for the software to do a good job interpolating intermediate frames. FPS override does not allow you to record for super-slo-mo shots .

hf4711

Then my understandings is somewhat wrong....?

a) Short exposure value (ML allows up to 1/8000) can improve sharpness of every single-picture, right?

b) Increasement of FPS from i.e. 50 to 55 means I have 55 instead of 50 pictures per recorded second, which means when I play them back at 5 FPS I have more "material" to stretch. The second slow-mo will be 10% longer at fix playback rate or can be played back faster for the same time. Which both means better quality. Right?

My hope was, that ML could record at much higher frame rates (high speed recording) for a smooth slow motion.

c) This is probably not the case and max FPS is around 60 and can be tweaked somewhat upwards, right?

HF

ilguercio

No, max fps is 65 and it isn't that much faster. Slow motion requires AT LEAST 120 fps for being considered as such.
1/8000 is just there to ensure your frames are perfectly freezed so twixtor (or whatever application you're using) can interpolate the frames better. Why would you have to play back your video at 5fps? A slowmo is captured at xxx fps and played back at 30 fps anyway.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

clausfrederiksen

Quote from: hf4711 on October 16, 2012, 08:40:48 PM
My hope was, that ML could record at much higher frame rates (high speed recording) for a smooth slow motion.

Now THAT would be very useful!!!!!! 120fps. Even for just a short period of time. Anyone know what the challenge would be, from a tec. point of view?
/Claus Frederiksen - Lighting cameraman, photographer and FCP editor

www.clausfrederiksen.dk

nanomad

Simply reverse engineering the whole image readout process. Not really that easy
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

I've never even seen the lv do 120fps.