Bitrate

Started by RGAlix, October 12, 2012, 05:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGAlix

Hi,

Magic Lantern is able to increase the bitrate of the camera. In my case, when I choose how much I want to increase it by, after 1,5x, the figures become red. What does it mean? Will it work, but with a risk? Will it refuse to work?
In doubt, I didn't try.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thank you.  :)

ilguercio

You did well, its processor could fry due to heat.

No, it is just to remind you, since you didn't read the user manual, that recording might stop, depending on your card, audio on or off and blahblahblah.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

RGAlix

Okay. So that means I can increase the bitrate as long as it stays white, right?
Is it really safe? I mean, ist there any chance of overheating even in the white figures?

ilguercio

Quote from: RGAlix on October 12, 2012, 05:11:40 PM
Okay. So that means I can increase the bitrate as long as it stays white, right?
Is it really safe? I mean, ist there any chance of overheating even in the white figures?
I don't know why the overheating thing is getting many people scared. Overheating happens, if you try to record for quite a long time under the sun the camera can overheat and tell you to stop. Things get hotter when they work, just as you do when you lift a weight or do jogging. ML doesn't do any magic. There are things you should avoid doing (leave the camera ON if it's frozen or remove the card right after you've opened the card door) but apart from that it doesn't change any hardware and your camera will get as hot as it could before installing it.
Those figures are shown in a different colour just to remind you to think twice about using them if it's the first time and you're on an important shooting or recording session. You're camera won't explode or catch fire unless you want it to.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.

1%

I've only had the overheat warning once on a 100deg day. The camera didn't shut off, it just put a little thermometer on the screen.

I've crashed/frozen and pushed way higher than the "red" numbers go. Camera still works. Its no delicate flower.

RGAlix

Ok, so I can go as high as I want, and it will just stop record or get frozen, right?
You say overheating existed before ML, but I just want to make sure that in conditions where overheating might normally happen, I won't kill my CF card by increasing too much the bitrate in addition to these conditions.

nanomad

Bugs aside, the camera will shut off if it gets too hot
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

RGAlix

Thank you (I just need to be very clear with it)!

One last question: how can I know the actual bitrate when I have figures like 1.5x?

nanomad

You open the file on the PC and look at the birate with tools like http://www.winhoros.de/docs/bitrate-viewer/
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

RGAlix

Ok, thank you both nanomad and ilguercio! No more question about that!  ;D

ilguercio

Quote from: RGAlix on October 12, 2012, 06:44:15 PM
Ok, so I can go as high as I want, and it will just stop record or get frozen, right?
You say overheating existed before ML, but I just want to make sure that in conditions where overheating might normally happen, I won't kill my CF card by increasing too much the bitrate in addition to these conditions.
CFs don't die of "too much data".
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.