Canon t3i Video

Started by MrMidnite, September 29, 2012, 08:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMidnite

Does magic lantern provide a different video codec to record videos? I just got the t3i and I was crushed when I found out that it records in apple video.

Any one have a way they combat the annoyance?

nanomad

Nope, not yet.
All you can do is increase the bitrate
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

MrMidnite

Oh. That sucks. You would think that they would use a more user friendly codec and container. What's wrong with plain old mp4? Or even ogg?

nanomad

Every half-decent video editor can open canon's video these days
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

MrMidnite

Yeah but now I have to buy a video editor to watch video on my computer. That's not cool.

a1ex

You can buy VLC or mplayer, they have the same price as ML ;)

Andy600

Sorry MrMidnite but what are you actually doing on a forum like this if you don't understand the absolute basics?  :o

I presume you're on a windows machine!?

Quicktime player is free!

You can change the wrapper (.mov) to .mp4 or .avi and it will play back in Windows Media Player (albeit with a gamma shift).

There are countless players out there that are free and more than capable of playing back the movies you record on your T3i.

If you want to transcode you can use GoPro's Cineform Studio FREE. That will give you Cineform 10bit AVI or MOV files. Google it.

I suggest you jump on Youtube and familiarise yourself with the basics of your camera before getting into anything Magic Lantern related.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

Also quicktime alternative will keep most of the badly made products off your system. Quicktime is like internet explorer and adobe flash combined. Not to mention the constant forced installs of safari.

Kromofone

Hmm, I might suggest, you try Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (Plain and simple - the best) with ffdshow decoder installed. Works perfectly for me, never failed, not a big stress on CPU and GPU. Very efficient, very awesome! :P

If you decide on it, tell me, what do you think of it.

MrMidnite

Thanks. I just installed Quicktime alternative. That allowed me to play it. Also I transcoded with MediaCoder. Nothing Apple will ever touch my pc.