Movie mode: Shutter speed indicated with Red and Green colors?

Started by Mister Paul, September 28, 2012, 11:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Paul

Hi,

I see in ML userguide for Green color:
QuoteShutter speed: in movie mode, values that maintain a certain amount of filmic motion blur (180 degree shutter) are displayed in green.

- If I shoot with a tripod with Green color values, the filmic motion blur shouldn't appear or are we speaking of a blur caused by the moving filmed subject?
- With shutter speed indicated in Red I suppose it's too critical to shoot, in any condition? (I get Red values for a 1/30...)

Thanks for your help
Paul

nanomad

The motion blur is due to the subject (and camera if not steady) moving around.

In this video (I don't remember the exact minute) there's an example of the difference between green (1/2*fps in their test) and red shutter speeds
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Mister Paul

Thanks for the link, but I am still a little confused...

I am shooting in Pal means 25fps

I  get these values:
Red values: 1/33 and 1/42
Green value 1/50 (I thought it should be the more natural shutter speed...)
Blue values: 1/64 -> 1/200
Red values: 1/260 -> 1/4200

So for what I understand;
- Red means unsynchronized shutter speed (=don't shoot)
- Green means synchronized speed but use a tripod
- Blue means synchronized speed and safe without tripod

Am I right?
I don't know if I have to use "FPS override"...

nanomad

If you're going for a filmic look shoot at 180deg shutter (like canon does). You don't need a tripod or a stabilized rig, but it sure helps to avoid shaky shots.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Mister Paul

OK thanks

In Pal, when do you think we get the little strobe effect for the filmed moving subject:
after 1/100 or as soon as it's indicated in Red?

(in their example 1/200 was shown strobed. And in my ML 1/200 is in Blue)

Mister Paul

Well I must apologize but I still need some more explanation about shutter color code in ML as I can't see it in documentation...
nanomad told me about green and red but I don't really understand cyan.
Could you tell me ?

Thanks
;)
Paul

Francis

Shutter speeds under (as in shorter) than 180degrees of framerate are shown in cyan, =180degrees is green, and >180degrees in red. Red shutters give you blurry motion, green is ideal, and cyan will be sharper/less motion/less natural looking.

Mister Paul

Thanks Francis (and sorry for my delayed answer) that's clear!

In Photo mode there's a new color: yellow
So we have: Green  Cyan  Yellow  Red

Green: seems to be fine
Red: blurry

But Cyan and Yellow?