Easy Coding tasks

Started by a1ex, December 22, 2013, 12:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjaja

Ok minimal C skills, check. So if I tutorial and dummy book myself the basics I can help with the (superuberduper) easy stuff?
No need for linux knowledge? That would be great
5DFree, 550D, canon 50mm 1.4

g3gg0

Quote from: tjaja on February 10, 2014, 04:26:34 PM
Ok minimal C skills, check. So if I tutorial and dummy book myself the basics I can help with the (superuberduper) easy stuff?
No need for linux knowledge? That would be great

uhm the exact scale of knowledge is hard to explain...
but it helps when you are able to programm a C program that prints "hello world" without having to look up anything in the net ;)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

eyeland

I am just about as eager to help as I am clueless about writing code, but I am very fast learner and I studied logic syntax quite extensively as a part of my philosophy master so I just need a nudge in the right direction.
Anyone care to link me a few resources for getting started?
(I know that a quick google search is easy, but I tend to OD on information, and sometimes it takes a certain level of knowledge to distinguish good/relevant material from the less good :)
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

Audionut

Johny007

Quote from: g3gg0 on February 02, 2014, 08:40:53 PM
Rework NotifyBox
Current state:
The NotifyBox feature is an useful on-screen display to notify the user of some happenings.
Unfortunately its implementation is quite crude, just printing the text on screen, providing not much usability.

Should I consider this done with this commit? https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/d12a423e5f6786524f136cdb5e37660350a68be4/src/notify_box.c?at=NotifyBoxIcon

g3gg0

i would rather see it as reference. it has still some issues with flicker due to repainting.
will update the post, pointing there.
thanks for pointing out.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Johny007

Any hint how to fix flicker? Temporary stop rendering of other ML GUI?

applewide

i want to help, i got bs and ms in computer science, i think i can do this

Straight_Shooter

Would there be a way to breathe some new life into this thread? That is, to set up some new easy coding tasks for people to work on? I think that having these is a great idea, and it can help to bring in some new people into ML development. Can't hurt to try :)

kitor

With the development stagnation I can't think of any.

All the recent stuff for Digic 7 and 8 is mostly R&D. It would be helpful if someone would be able to test our recent developments on Digic 6 (we assume it should be fairly straightforward), but this is definitely not an easy task.

On the other hand last year I wrote:

Quote from: kitor on October 03, 2020, 10:43:55 AM
Just porting it further is 'above my paygrade'.

and without any previous embedded C skills (and just very basic skills outside PHP/Bash/Python scripting and a lot of interest in vintage computers and consoles hacking from youtube) in just two months with great help (and later collaboration) mainly with @names_are_hard on Discord, this, this, this and recently this had happened.

So it is not that hard, but requires courage and a lot of spare time to understand the basics :)
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

ML700D

@kitor how to start?  :D
maybe I can learn and contribute, if there is an assist.
EOS 700D

kitor

Start with build environment. There are threads in this section - slightly outdated, but on the other hand environment problem solving is slightly easier than actual later work.

After that try to build something from either unified branch on HG or dev on @names_are_hard GitHub clone. If it works, you have a working development env.
And if you go git, you can check on your 700D if our recent changes didn't break anything for Digic 5 ;)

Later I would suggest playing with minimal/hello-world (dev branch on git, digic6-dumper on hg). This is just a code execution on camera, without any real magic lantern code running. Source code built there is pretty simple - there's whole "startup sequence" there (where ML hijacks Canon stuff) and then just a simple task is started that is able to draw on screen and blink a led.
And you don't need to search for any stubs as 700D is already supported camera :)

There's a startup sequence flow chart in some thread on the forum, I forgot which.

As long as you don't poke into memory addresses that you are unsure of, you are relatively safe to play with almost any C code there (in fact, minimal build was a base for doom port on 200D).

In the meantime you can join our Discord - we will be more than happy to answer any technical questions.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

Walter Schulz

kitor

Yes, but it was posted by Alex in a whole topic explaining this early boot process.

Edit: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=23641
Too many Canon cameras.

ML700D

oh.. thanks.. I'll try to figure it out.  :D
EOS 700D