BIG installation PROBLEM ML on Canon 600D

Started by rschmid, September 20, 2012, 11:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rschmid

Hello forum members,
I have just updated my canon 600d with firmware 1.0.2
Now I get, when I try to install Magic Lantern 2.3 continuously an orange screen with the text: UPDATE FILE ERROR. PLEASE CHECK THE MEMORY CARD AND RELOAD THE BATTERY AND TRY AGAIN.
Now I have tried 3 new full batteries and tried different SD cards but every time when I try to install it again, I get the above message and can not turn off my camera.
I have to remove the battery from the camera to re-start my camera
I've searched the entire internet for people with the same problem but can not find anyone who can help me with this problem.
I only read about problems like a black screen and flashing red light while trying to instal ML, but no one with the same problem like i have with my camera.
I had no problems with the older Canon firmware version 1.0.1 and absolutely no problems with the older installation of magic lantern.
But now you can think, downgrade back to 1.0.1 .. So I tried this, but if I downgrade to 1.0.1 and try to reinstal the older Magic Lantern, I get now suddenly the same message: UPDATE FILE ERROR. PLEASE CHECK THE MEMORY CARD AND RELOAD THE BATTERY AND TRY AGAIN.
Downgrading is no problem and upgrading to the latest firmware is also no problem.
I have upgrade again to  firmware 1.0.2 because i hope someone can help me so that i can install ML 2.3
I there someone who knows what's going on with my camera???, I already spent hours and really can not get out with this problem
PS: offcourse i did format the cards in the camera low level and clearing all the settings in the camera
thanks, Ron Schmid, The Netherlands

bart

Hi Ron,

The filestructure of the new v2.3 is changed. Try a low level sd card format in camera. Add ALL files in the root of the card with a card reader. It should contain among others an autoexec.bin, a couple of .fir files and a ML map.
Then try the Magic lantern firmware update again to make firmware 1.02 bootable.

If this solves the problem please respond here.

Here are a couple of videos that explain the whole install procedure.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/mleng

rschmid

Hi b4rt,
I Did exactly what you say to do, i did it already 30 times with differend SD cards  :(
And again i get this message in a orange screen with the text: UPDATE FILE ERROR. PLEASE CHECK THE MEMORY CARD AND RELOAD THE BATTERY AND TRY AGAIN.
And after this message, i have to remove the battery to shut down the camera

Regards Ron Schmid The Netherlands

a1ex

rschmid

Hi Alex,
I did format the card in in camera low level ;)

a1ex

Can you run a firmare update from Canon? If that one loads, ML should load too.

If you already have the bootflag set in the camera, just make the cards bootable and copy the files, it should work.

rschmid

Hi Alex, read my first message, firmware upgrade is no problem from canons website.
I will make a film and post it on youtube how i try to fix this, later today i will paste a link from youtube here ok ?

nanomad

Sounds like a good plan

Can you post a screenshot of the "firmware update" menu with no card in?
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5