Crop Modes

Started by bry, September 19, 2012, 05:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bry

Hi, there's something I think most DSLR cameras should come with, which is different crop modes.

For instance, an APS-C camera, should be able to shoot video using only a micro 4/3 portion of the sensor, or a 16mm film sized portion of the sensor, or Super-16mm... Also, a full frame camera should be able to shoot in these modes plus APS-C, etc.

This would be extremely useful when using different mount lenses. It would be amazing to be able to use professional (and nowadays dirt cheap) 16mm lenses on an APS-C DSLR.

Would this be something Magic Lantern could tackle or is it something that only Canon could do?

nanomad

We don't know yet. Some have crop mode by default but we've yet to figure out how and if it is possible to port it to other cameras
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

3pointedit

Haha, we could turn the 5DmkIII into a BMCC with crop2.3!
550D on ML-roids

bry

That wouldn't be very useful since we can't mount Micro 4/3 lenses on EF mount cameras.
APS-C, 16mm and S16mm  sized crops would be very useful though.

lumiere61

Hello !

will the next Canon 1DC (the top Canon video reflex) be using this crop mode to produce video recordings ?  ???
If Canon has decided to go with crop mode for video in their next TOTL reflex this should mean something, I think.
I also think that they intend to price it very high as this 1DC could be so good to embarrass their own video camera (i.e. c300)  ::)
Maybe this technique could be adopted with other cheaper models as well, like the 5D mk II with spectacular results ?  :D
Okkei ... sorry. I am dreaming.

Thanks and kind regards,
Giuseppe

ilguercio

I guess a top of the line camera doesn't need crop mode.
:)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

lumiere61

Quote from: ilguercio on September 29, 2012, 10:04:30 PM
I guess a top of the line camera doesn't need crop mode.
:)
Hi !  I am not at all an expert, but the 1DC should produce video recordings using just a central portion of the full frame sensor roughly equivalent to the aps-h format.  I do not know if this sensor reading "strategy" could be used also with the 5D mk II for instance.
I guess it should be more efficient than line skipping techniques.
But as I said I am not but an expert in the field
Kind regards,
giuseppe

ilguercio

Well, i didn't check the specs but you never know what Canon feels like to put into its cameras.
:D
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.