Low Shutter Speeds for motion blur effect

Started by djwudy, September 19, 2012, 01:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djwudy

Hi there,

So basically... I am shooting a music video and i want to achieve an effect in camera that will add blur to the footage.
I was using a Sony Z5 previously and it allowed the shutter speed to go very low creating the effect I was after.
I have been playing around with the FPS override feature attempting to get the shutter speed low but keep the fps at 25 or 50 but have had no success. Does anyone out there know if this is possible or is the FPS Over ride feature strictly intended for timelapse?

Thank-you!

Justin

djwudy

...Was simply a case of slowing down the footage in post...

Roman

Hey there,

there is a 'shutter speed' option under the movie subfolder in ML...

If you want a lot of motion blur then you want to set this up high, say 275 or 359 degrees.

If you are filming at 24fps then each frame can be exposed for almost 1/24th of a second, which gives motion blur. Even more so, if you raise the shutter speed while using FPS override to less than 24 frames per second.

It's probably something better done in post though, it's easy to apply motion blur than it is to remove it if it doesnt turn out right :)

Using the FPS override feature, you will end up with footage that speeds up. If you are shooting at 24fps with an override to 12fps, the footage will play back at double speed when viewed, unless slowed down in post.