EOS M or 100D?

Started by vladddd, April 05, 2024, 01:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vladddd

Hi,

I want to build a small, light and cheap ML-powered "cinema camera" rig. The choice is obvious - 100D or EOS M.

Personally, I like the 100D better for the following reasons:
- not as small, but has better ergonomics;
- has a more common mount (no need to use adapters);
- I can buy it for half the price ($100 vs $200 for the body);

but, reading this forum, I learned that the 100D cannot record RAW video, as stated, for example, in these topics:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26975.0

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26947.0

People write the same thing on YouTube in the comments under videos, shot with 100D - sometimes they manage to record one minute, most often the recording stops after a few seconds.

So my question: is there any chance this issues will be fixed, or is EOS M the only option?

Walter Schulz

About "Crop Mood" build: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26851.0
All supported cams can achieve around 80 MByte/s continuous data rate for recording with compatible cards*. Unlimited. As long as card has free storage space and battery supplies energy.

And heat protection doesn't set in which may happen in unforgiving environments.

*Chart with tested cards: https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/cards_240mhz

vladddd

In the first post of this topic, I provided links to two other topics, the authors of which encountered the problem I described. The speed of the card has nothing to do with it, they provided benchmark logs and the speed is sufficient. As far as I can see, the problem only affects the 100D, no mention of this problem with the 700D, which is actually the same camera in terms of hardware, maybe excluding AF module.

names_are_hard

You did, but you maybe didn't read as far forwards as you needed, and you don't have enough understanding of the context.

The reported problems were (probably, in both cases, provably in one case) due to the user not understanding how to setup ML to work properly on their cam.

Many people have reported 100D working fine.  Some have reported problems.  The conclusion to draw here is that ML can be awkward to configure correctly, and that variances in card performance can make very hi-res recordings unreliable for *some* people.

You can also find reports of people unable to get ML working how they want on M, 650D, 5D3 - in fact, every camera.

vladddd

Are you saying that from the hardware perspective any 100D will work perfectly and support all video recording modes specified in the crop mood topic if i have a compatible memory card and a correctly configured ML?

Walter Schulz

That is not what names was saying.

All listed video modes are supported for the cams listed in Bilal's post.
You don't need a compatible card.
A compatible card will just allow you to use 240 MHz mode.

It doesn't mean you can get continuous recording in all modes. Card and card interface have limits and there are modes demanding bandwidth rates not able to be delivered by card and cam. Therefore some modes have limited recording durations.

You can easily find "allowed" ML settings where no camera works continuously.

names_are_hard

Quote from: vladddd on April 05, 2024, 04:00:25 PMAre you saying that from the hardware perspective any 100D will work perfectly and support all video recording modes specified in the crop mood topic if i have a compatible memory card and a correctly configured ML?

Nah, I was just saying you're mistaken to think the 100D has special problems.  You can find reports of problems for all cams.  You're checking the wrong thing.  Can you find reports of 100D *doing what you want it to do*?  The answer is yes.  There are still other reasonable questions in that area, including "can *I* make it do that reliably enough for my needs?"

And specifically re "will work perfectly" - that is not what Magic Lantern has ever been :)  It is glitchy, confusing, and will never be 100% reliable.  We try to improve it over time.