Swapping SD cards

Started by Wannabe, March 16, 2024, 04:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wannabe

I bought a new SD card for use with ML Crop Mood.

Kind of a stupid question, but do I have to go through the entire ML installation process for this new card, or is it going to be enough to just copy all the essential ML folders and files from my older card on which I already have ML installed?

In case that copying the files from one card to another is going to be enough, do I have to still overclock the new card?

Thanks!

Walter Schulz

Card has to be bootable.
Can be done by
- ML installation in cam
- PC based tools. EOScard, MacBoot, script (make_bootable.sh), Petabyte's MLinstall.
- Using disk editors to create bootsector byte by byte
First two methods are covered in Install Guide.

Bit about oc doesn't make sense. If you are not using oc you are limited to cam specs and this means 50 MByte/s theoretical bandwidth.

Wannabe

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 16, 2024, 05:38:47 AMBit about oc doesn't make sense. If you are not using oc you are limited to cam specs and this means 50 MByte/s theoretical bandwidth.
Sorry, I didn't phrase my question correctly.
My question was: If I copy all ML files from an overclocked SD card to another non-overclocked card, does this automatically make the second card overclocked too?

Danne

Every card needs a first installation to make the card bootable.
Why don't you test the rest and draw you own conclusions?

whitelight

Quote from: Wannabe on March 16, 2024, 08:53:37 AMSorry, I didn't phrase my question correctly.
My question was: If I copy all ML files from an overclocked SD card to another non-overclocked card, does this automatically make the second card overclocked too?
I think you definitely need to activate the overclock on the 2nd card after the first boot.

Wannabe

Quote from: Danne on March 16, 2024, 09:39:36 AMEvery card needs a first installation to make the card bootable.
Why don't you test the rest and draw you own conclusions?
Thanks. The SD card that I bought will arrive tomorrow and I will do some tests.

Wannabe

Quote from: whitelight on March 17, 2024, 01:34:11 AMI think you definitely need to activate the overclock on the 2nd card after the first boot.
Thanks. Will do that.

Wannabe

I just benchmark tested my new SD card. It is a Sandisk Extreme PRO that is advertised to reach 200R / 140W speeds.

I noticed something strange.

When the card was completely empty, it scored 71 MB/sec write speed and showed some error for the read speed in Video Mode.
Then, I recorded a short video and ran another benchmark test again in Video Mode. This time around the card scored 92 MB/sec write speed and 83 MB/sec read speed.
Don't know what is causing this difference in benchmark results.

PS:
I haven't tested the card in Photo Mode because I don't know how to access the Crop Mood settings in that mode.

gabriielangel

Quote from: Wannabe on March 18, 2024, 07:04:49 PMDon't know what is causing this difference in benchmark results.

PS:
I haven't tested the card in Photo Mode because I don't know how to access the Crop Mood settings in that mode.

You access ML the same way, by holding the trash button a few seconds.
Try formatting your card in camera. Use the "Keep ML Files" option, restart.
In photo mode (Use the middle one, not the left most A) As soon as you start the benchmark, press the blue  play button. That's how the benchmark performs best.

The camera often records better after 1 or 2 recordings. Why? No one seems to know. But I didn't know this extended to the benchmark also. There is an option for "Card Warmup" but it is not necessary with the eos m. Just record for a few seconds once, then the subsequent recordings will be done at full speed.

Wannabe

Quote from: gabriielangel on March 18, 2024, 08:25:40 PMYou access ML the same way, by holding the trash button a few seconds.
Try formatting your card in camera. Use the "Keep ML Files" option, restart.
I did all of that. Still, I cannot access the ML settings menu in Photo Mode.
Pressing and holding down the trash can button in Photo Mode does nothing in my case. It also causes the camera to make weird noises.

gabriielangel

Power up your camera in video mode.
Press MENU
Go to the last menu to the right -Custom Functions(C.Fn)-
Go to menu number 6 to the right.
Make sure the Trash button function is assigned to 0:Normal

Wannabe

Thanks a lot, man. It worked.
I am now able to access ML while in Photo Mode.

I ran the benchmark test once again (in Photo Mode and on a freshly formatted SD card) and got the results shown below.
I think they are decent.

gabriielangel

Your results are in line with what I got when I tested mine here: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?msg=245718

Wannabe

Yes, at first I thought that my card was fake. But since it scores above 90 mb/sec, it should do the job.

PS
Copying the Settings folder from one card to another saves time.