Auto ETTR on Canon 5D Mark III not working properly

Started by PaulHarwood856, February 16, 2024, 03:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulHarwood856

Hello Magic Lantern,

I shot a sunset timelapse last night and a sunrise timelape this morning. For some reason, the camera stays on the same setting when first taking a picture throughout the entire timelapse when on Manual mode. For example this morning, it stayed at 8" at ISO 1600 and F8. For some reason I had to adjust the slowest shutter to 8" in order to get proper exposure. I used a B+W 10 Stop ND on a Canon 16-35mm F2.8 L USM Mark 1. Basically, the exposure is not changing when the sun gets brighter, or sun gets darker with a sunset. I changed the Highlight Ignore settings from 5% (used on sunset) to 0% this morning (for sunrise).

I'm on Firmware 1.2.3 using this build: https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_dannephoto_git/downloads/

I even tried turning the SNR limit to off for Midtone and Shadow. I had link to Dual ISO on. The exposure target was -1 EV.

I'm really confused as to what is causing this.

Can anyone help me? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- Paul

Walter Schulz

May I ask you to reproduce issue with lua_fix build?

PaulHarwood856

Hello Walter,

Thank you for the quick response. I've heard of lua before, but have never used it. Can you explain how to do this?

- Paul

Walter Schulz

Rename ML directory, rename autoexec.bin.
Copy extracted lua_fix buld content to card.
Overwrite ML-SETUP.FIR or not. They are identical.

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html

PaulHarwood856

Hey Walter,

I didn't have a sunset or sunrise, but I shot a bunch of pictures with Lua and Ettr Modules enabled. I panned the camera to dark lighting and bright lighting based off the sun outside. I even put a Variable ND Filter and it worked. Everything worked properly. So what does this mean? Do you need any files from me? How can I achieve this with the build I'm using? Thank you for all your help.

- Paul

Walter Schulz

Redo the same test with Dianne"s build.
Just rename current dir and autoxec.bin and reinstate Danny's files.

If issue is reproducable -> Bug report to Dianne.

PaulHarwood856

Ok so last night I recorded a timelapse of the sunset near where I live. I had a Canon 5D Mark III on Firmware Version 1.2.3 with the Latest Nightly Build: 2018-07-03. I was successful. The Auto Ettr module was enabled, and it worked.

However, on another Canon 5D Mark III with the same firmware version 1.2.3, I had Danne's build (with the renamed ML directory and renamed autoexec.bin). I couldn't turn the camera on. The red light would come on for a second, and then off. I used multiple batteries.

When I arrived home, I tried again with no luck. Then I put the SD card in a memory card reader, plugged it into a PC, and just had all original files and no renamed folder and no renamed file put on the SD card. When I put the SD card in my camera, the camera turned on.

I'm not sure what exactly is going on, but I do know the nightly build on this site works, and Danne's build isn't working for timelapses (with what I've experienced).

Here is a link to his build: https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_dannephoto_git/downloads/

It works great for video, and I prefer it over the Nightly Build from 2018 when shooting video.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

- Paul

PaulHarwood856

I messaged Danne. He told me Auto Ettr is not a reliable module, and to use AV (Aperture Priority) instead. I will test AV with Timelapse mode on the next sunset or sunrise I go to. I will report back here how it went. I just wanted to post this in case anyone else was reading.

Danne

Less reliable than av with timelapsing as I recall it years ago.
For general photography, probably better.

PaulHarwood856

PaulHarwood856

Hello ML,

On the 2018-07-03 nightly build I wasn't able to do a timelapse with Aperture Priority with my manual focus lens (on Canon 5D Mark III). However, I was able to do Auto Ettr in Manual mode with this lens, the Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero Distortion. If I use an autofocus lens I'll try Aperture Priority vs. Auto Ettr, but I just wanted anyone reading this to know.

- Paul