MLV Raw audio and Datarates

Started by gabriielangel, January 17, 2024, 04:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabriielangel

I have 2 questions:

Is the audio in the MLV file aslo compressed with lossless, or is it a regular .wav file?

How do the devs estimate the theoretical resulting Data Rate for a given resolution, given that you don't know ahead of time how efficient the lossless compression will be? Do you have a compression ratio window?

names_are_hard

Lossless video compression is specifically LJ92, which is part of the JPEG standard.  I think you could apply it to any data, so you *could* use it on wav, I suspect this isn't currently done.  Might be a good idea! Video is a lot more of the data, so you might not save enough to be significant, but it could be worth testing.

If you give me an exact string from the UI that reports the data rate, I will look up the code to see how it works.

masc

Audio is so little data, I don't think it is worth it:

48000kHz*2(channels)*2(Byte)/1024/1024 = 0,183MB/s

If you remember at what data rates we record the video part, the audio data rate is just nothing.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

gabriielangel

Thanks! I just needed to know, to make sure I wouldn't introduce too much bias in my calculations.
You both gave me what I need: LJ92 scales well and I can take the whole data rate reported in MLV app to make comparisons across resolutions.