[SOLVED]:Canon Eos M Uncompressed 14-bit 5.2K recording stops automagically

Started by zenny, January 17, 2024, 07:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabriielangel

Here are some examples I recorded last year. I left the images at their original resolutions, so I suggest you do like @iaburn did, and resize all the pictures to a common format. I did my best to keep a similar framing at every resolution. (Click on images to download full-size)

0- An example of 1x3 aliasing / Stairstepping on contrasting edges. Those "Animate" when you move the camera.

1- 5208x2108 Original Resolution

2-Same as above, but with CA Desaturation applied, to get rid of the rainbows in the hair (I forgot to do this when I sent the image to the upscaler)

3-2880x1206 Original Resolution

4-Same as above with CA Desaturation applied

5-2520x1054 Original Resolution

6-3072x1286 Original Resolution

7-4416x1846 Original Resolution

8-4800x2008 Original Resolution

9-2880x1206 upscaled with Ai to 3840x1608

10-5208x2178-DownTo1920x804 then Upscaled with ai algo 1 to 3840x1606 (The downscaling cuts the processing time by a factor of 4, and yields a slightly sharper image)

11-Same as above, but with a different Algorithm

I don't have a 3x3 example, but I was a little surprised of the 3x3 sharpness in @iaburn's example.

In the examples above, I left the upscaling to default values, but I would have normally dialed down the sharpness a bit.
I think the debayer could use a little help, to better deal with hair, fur and tiny details.

iaburn

Quote from: gabriielangel on January 29, 2024, 09:33:30 AM
I don't have a 3x3 example, but I was a little surprised of the 3x3 sharpness in @iaburn's example.

I forgot to mention that I processed the exported DNG frames in photoshop, minimizing the aliasing and color artifacts so it was easier to see the actual resolution

2blackbar

So from Your tests it looks like 2.5k is actually much better than 5.2k.. kinda how i thought about it all this time (anamorphic modes vs 1x1modes)... dont know what to think about it, did you sharpen something ?
Cause this is not what maths says and its clearly below 2.5k detail which concludes that i was right about the actual detail.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: 2blackbar on January 29, 2024, 12:18:08 PM
Cause this is not what maths says and its clearly below 2.5k detail which concludes that i was right about the actual detail.

It is exactly what maths says. And pointed out several times. Please try to understand.

iaburn

Quote from: 2blackbar on January 29, 2024, 12:18:08 PM
So from Your tests it looks like 2.5k is actually much better than 5.2k.. kinda how i thought about it all this time (anamorphic modes vs 1x1modes)... dont know what to think about it, did you sharpen something ?

Someone mentioned before, the 3x1 modes have a very high vertical resolution, but the horizontal resolution is 1736 pixels maximum.
Stretching the image 3 times horizontally will give a strange look when you see the frame at 100%, so in my opinion 3x1 modes are best when keeping horizontal pixels and downscaling vertically.
By downscaling, you make the pixels square, the noise is lower, you get less aliasing and there's added real sharpness to the image when compared to 1080p

2blackbar

Id like to see more tests comparing 2.5k to 5.2k anamorphic mode to see whats the closest resolution detail, math is cute and all but theres several factors affecting outcome like scaling algo and skipping vs binning

iaburn

Quote from: 2blackbar on January 29, 2024, 01:08:20 PM
Id like to see more tests comparing 2.5k to 5.2k anamorphic mode to see whats the closest resolution detail, math is cute and all but theres several factors affecting outcome like scaling algo and skipping vs binning

Unless you get an AI to fill the missing pixels when scaling the 3x1 image to 5.2K, it's not really possible to compare resolution directly with 1x1 and 3x3 modes.
Think about 3x1 modes like special format with some unique characteristics.
If you like what you see, don't think too much about it and use it ;)

2blackbar

OK lets derail, so what esrgan model you recommend for 1080 mode 3x3 ? I dont want it to introduce ai artifacts and smudging typical for lots of esrgan models , i think my fav is  4x_NMKD-Superscale-SP_178000_G  cause it doesnt do weird crap but id have to test if it smooths out aliasing ...

iaburn

Quote from: 2blackbar on January 29, 2024, 04:45:57 PM
OK lets derail, so what esrgan model you recommend for 1080 mode 3x3 ? I dont want it to introduce ai artifacts and smudging typical for lots of esrgan models , i think my fav is  4x_NMKD-Superscale-SP_178000_G  cause it doesnt do weird crap but id have to test if it smooths out aliasing ...

Sorry I didn't try any of this AI things that you mention.
Photoshop/Lightroom have a new AI driven feature called "RAW detail" that is able to fix most of the artifacts, so I run this for all DNGs once exported when I want to improve 1080p footage, and it does wonders

zenny

Wow, this forum seems so helpful because the respondents are both immersed, knowledgeable and insightful. Learning a lot from the empirical inputs. Thanks to everyone.

Cheers.
/z