Crop mood - Danne custom tweaks (EOS M)

Started by Danne, December 17, 2023, 07:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank7D

I'm wondering about the possibility of having a true preview for 1x1 1920x1080 crop video. Is it theoretically possible? I've never done any ml coding but I am able to compile using other people's repos, and maybe I could fiddle with it if I knew there was a chance.

Danne

Crop mood? All presets are real time preview. Or am I under hypnosis :o.

Frank7D

Yes, but I don't see a 1920x1080 one. The closest is 1920x1280 (or maybe I am under hypnosis, or just blind)

iaburn

Quote from: Frank7D on February 16, 2024, 10:25:03 PM
Yes, but I don't see a 1920x1080 one. The closest is 1920x1280 (or maybe I am under hypnosis, or just blind)

In theory you can use the 1920x1280 and set a mask to hide the extra pixels on top and bottom. You can also try to set the aspect ratio to 16:9 on RAW menu

Danne

New build:

- Added 1920x1080p 1x1 preset(although it´s like a 1440p with less resolution)

Frank7D

Wow, thanks! I'll see if I can get it working with my 650D (despite having done zero ml coding before. I am an optimist.)

Danne

@Frank7D
Could you test this module on your 650D?
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magiclantern_hg_02/downloads/crop_rec.mo

Didn´t test, no 650D.
Please report back if working or not.

Frank7D

Frank7D

One thing I see is that the preview image fills the whole screen, so I assume it's stretched vertically. This doesn't bother me, as the main thing is accurate framing, but I thought I'd mention it.

Danne

New build

- When Histogram and RAW-based is enabled 14bit preview whie in other bits is turned off working as regular 12,11,10bit preview. Fixes the histogram issue mentioned by @gabriielangel

Needs some testing.

@Frank7D, Yes, stretched, but only a little right? Maybe could be done better but I don´t know how.

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on February 18, 2024, 08:27:56 AM
New build

- When Histogram and RAW-based is enabled 14bit preview whie in other bits is turned off working as regular 12,11,10bit preview. Fixes the histogram issue mentioned by @gabriielangel

Needs some testing.

Will test later, thanks!!

Another 1620p sample, this time with a tiny Cosmicar/Pentax 16mm f1.4 lens (the one on this post)

Danne

Really nice footage man. Where to buy this lens and adapter?

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on February 18, 2024, 10:07:19 AM
Really nice footage man. Where to buy this lens and adapter?

Thanks, I got it on eBay, but you have to be patient because there are really ridiculously high prices. A fair price in my opinion is 50/60€, I wouldn't pay more...
The adapter for c-mount lenses is easier to find and very cheap (look for "c-mount ef-m adapter")

Danne

I see. Meanwhile I will play with my bulky sigma 3.5 10-20mm. Quite sharp and well controlled ca.

gabriielangel

New build

Needs some testing.

@Frank7D, Yes, stretched, but only a little right? Maybe could be done better but I don´t know how.

The 1920x1080 preset needs a proper focus pixel map. The one I just downloaded makes my MLVApp freeze.
It records without corruption.
Preview is a little stretched, but as long as we know that it records fine (it does), we can at least see the full, uncropped preview.
It doesn't disturb me, as I use AF before recording, but someone who uses MF could chime in.

Note: Because we cannot skip the MLVApp Step no matter what, it would be wiser to record  using the 1440P preset and export to 1920x1080 with MLVApp. This gives sharper images (Oversampling) and the crop isn't as brutal.
The real reason to use the 1920x1080 preset would be to record 14-12bit Uncompressed (Which has been removed in this version).
When recording on a ski slope for example, this would prevent the camera from stopping the recording because of sudden variations in image brightness, which is likely to happen when recording at 14bit lossless.
It would also allow you, for example,  to clip the highlights a little to get more exposure for people's faces, as long as you know that if you clip too much, the pink highlights cannot be removed.

The histogram now works as before at all bit depths. I tried with both Kill Global Draw ON and OFF.
So, to make it clearer:
If you enable the Histogram, the Preview's Bit Depth is always the same as the recording Bit Depth selected (If you bump up ISO to 6400 and raise shutter to 1/1000 or more it is easy to verify.)

If Histogram is disabled, The Preview's bit Depth is always 14bit, regardless of the recording Bit Depth selected. The recording Bit Depth selected will kick in as soon as you hit record and will return to 14bit when you stop.
Especially when using 11-10bit, this gives an artifact-and-color-cast-free preview, which makes focus and evaluation a lot more enjoyable.

I will use it during the week and let you know if I find anything else.

Danne

The map causing Mlv App to freeze? Works over here  8).

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on February 19, 2024, 01:23:32 AM
The map causing Mlv App to freeze? Works over here  8).

Yes. If I load a clip recorded at any other resolution, everything is fine.
If I load a clip I just recorded at 1080p, without the focus pixel map installed, the clip opens fine (With the focus dots showing).
If I shutdown MLV APP, Install the new 80000331_1992x1109.fpm; when I launch the app and open a 1080p clip, I get a beach ball and I need to force-quit (I'm on OSX).
If I launch the app again, but load a 2.8k clip this time, all is well. MLVApp 1.14, official build.

Danne

Try report this on Mlv App thread. Strange.

Danne

New build

- Removed histogram check. It was causing some serious overhead. Need to rethink. Maybe a manual switch back to regular preview when selected 12bit etc.

Danne

New build

- Fix for now regarding Histogram:

Danne

New build again.

- Seems I fixed histogram check automated and without speed penalty.

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on February 19, 2024, 02:51:18 PM
New build again.

- Seems I fixed histogram check automated and without speed penalty.

The camera heats up faster with RAW histogram enabled, quite CPU demanding, but good to know it works now if I ever use it  :D

gabriielangel

Here's a test I made last week, checking overhead. Could be useful as a baseline.

The effects of different settings on Write Speeds / Recording times:

Because I didn't know what the parameters were ahead of time, I give the following figures in seconds of recording time instead of speed in MB/s.
This allowed me to set a fixed exposure level and only change Settings.
As the slightest change in exposure can make a difference of +- 30 seconds, this approach will make the test length more manageable, because there are too many variables to take into account to do several trials to check repeatability.

Card Tested: Samsung Evo Plus microSDXC UHS-I 512GB MB-MC512K (Fresh Low-Level Format)
Build Used:magiclantern-crop_mood.2024Feb11_Custom.EOSM202.zip
Resolution: 2880x1206 14 bit
More Hacks set to Always, unless specified.
Filming a test chart on LCD Screen, slightly off-focus to avoid moiré (Which would affect the Data Rate).

I set the exposure to be slightly under the Write Speed limit of the card,  so I could get a max record time of about 30 seconds (Baseline).

1- MF (Manual Focus), No Custom Buttons Assignments, Kill GD ON = 31-35 Seconds (Baseline)

2- AF (Auto Focus), No Custom Buttons Assignments, Kill GD ON = 31-45 Seconds

3- MF, No Custom Buttons Assignments, Kill GD Off = 20-21 Seconds

4- AF, No Custom Buttons Assignments, Kill GD Off = 20-21 Seconds

5-MF, Custom Buttons INFO x10 Zoom , SET False Colors, Kill GD On = 31-33 seconds

6-AF, Custom Buttons INFO x10 Zoom , SET False Colors, Kill GD On = 31-33 seconds

7-AF, Custom Buttons INFO x10 Zoom, SET False Colors, U/D ISO, Kill GD On = 6 seconds (31-33 seconds if More Hacks = Always)

8- MF, Custom Buttons INFO x10 Zoom, SET False Colors, U/D ISO, Kill GD On = 6 seconds (31-33 seconds if More Hacks = Always)

9-MF, Custom INFO Aperture Expo, SET False Colors, U/D ISO, Kill GD On= 6 Seconds (31-33 seconds if More Hacks = Always)

10-AF, Custom INFO Aperture Expo, SET False Colors, U/D ISO, Kill GD On= 6 Seconds (31-33 seconds if More Hacks = Always)

11-AF, Custom INFO x10 Zoom, SET False Colors, Kill GD On, Histogram On= 31 Seconds

12-AF, Custom INFO x10 Zoom, SET False Colors, Kill GD Off, Histogram On= 16-18 Seconds

13-AF, Custom INFO x10 Zoom, SET False Colors, Kill GD Off, Histogram On= 11-16  Seconds; Kill GD On=30-31 Seconds

14-AF, Custom INFO x10 Zoom, SET False Colors, Kill GD On,  =1:07 (I lowered the exposure to get a New, Longer Baseline)

14b-AF, Custom INFO x10 Zoom, SET False Colors, U/D ISO, Kill GD On,  = 6 Seconds

14c-AF, Custom INFO x10 Zoom, SET False Colors, Kill GD Off,  = 21-25 Seconds

Conclusion: For those who prefer using the higher resolution / high bit depth Presets, or just extend recording times, the following is recommended:
Kill Global Draw must be set to On;
and ISO / Aperture assignments to the custom buttons must be avoided while recording.

Frank7D

@Frank7D, Yes, stretched, but only a little right?

Yes. I think the screen has a par like 1920x1280. Using 1920x1080p preview, a circle appears a bit taller than it is wide. But it's fine for framing, which was my main goal. Thanks again!

zenny

Quote from: iaburn on February 18, 2024, 09:58:07 AM
Will test later, thanks!!

Another 1620p sample, this time with a tiny Cosmicar/Pentax 16mm f1.4 lens (the one on this post)

Wow that is really nice. Thanks for posting. Does this 16mm lens causes vignetting? I have C-EOSM adapter, but mounting a C-lens does not show up anything. Maybe wrong adapter from Amazon! Which adapter did you use?