Crop mood - Danne custom tweaks (EOS M)

Started by Danne, December 17, 2023, 07:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Test build:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magiclantern_hg_02/downloads/magiclantern-crop_mood.2024Feb11_Custom.EOSM202.zip

Added @doktorkrek nice fixes for the 1620p preview. As stated preview will have a section to the right which doesn´t do anything. This is TEST1. I we skip YUV_LV_S_H = 0x1E0038; // register 0xC0F11A8C it will fill up the whole screen but have a stretched anamorphic look to it. I lean towards keeping the TEST2 version. Maybe @gabriielangel and @iaburn and others could test and share their opinions?

gabriielangel

I Think Test 2 is better also, because we see the whole recorded frame (Some of the bottom was missing in the original preset). Test 1 is too small and could give the impression that something is broken.
In Test 2, there is a distortion at the bottom of the frame in the preview, but the image records cleanly.

iaburn

I've tried both and agree that making the preview smaller is worse than slightly distorted.
I guess it's not easy, but on TEST 2 the image while recording extends till the top, using the space of the black info bar, but doesn't extend till the bottom. If it could take the entire height, like it does on the current version, the image will be less squished and the preview will take the entire screen with "kill global draw" enabled.
I'm sure this is one of the "easier said than done" things haha  :D

In any case, it's already one of the best modes and super useful, it's giving the larger vertical resolution from all non-anamorphic settings  :o

Danne

Thanks guys. I'll have a look soon.
What about recording times. Would it be an idea to reduce resolution a bit to get more stable 12bit recordings? Maybe have two presets. This one and one with less reolsution?

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on February 12, 2024, 09:17:49 AM
Would it be an idea to reduce resolution a bit to get more stable 12bit recordings?
On a 512GB extreme pro 200MB/s I get green with 12bits, never got a forced stop even though I always ETTR. Many times I can use 14 bits  :)

Note: I have live ISO and aperture not assigned to get the extra MB/s

Danne

New build added:

- Preview for 1620p shows more or less full realtime preview. A bit stretched but fully usable imo
- Added a More_hacks switch under Customize buttons. When selected it will always stay enabled if selected in RAW video. When recording user can´t change aperture or iso while filming. Turn it to OFF and the hack will be disabled while recording when using U/D and INFO button as before.

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on February 12, 2024, 02:52:11 PM
New build added:

- Preview for 1620p shows more or less full realtime preview. A bit stretched but fully usable imo
- Added a More_hacks switch under Customize buttons. When selected it will always stay enabled if selected in RAW video. When recording user can´t change aperture or iso while filming. Turn it to OFF and the hack will be disabled while recording when using U/D and INFO button as before.

Pure gold! Best solution to the "more hacks" dilemma :D

Danne

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on January 18, 2024, 08:42:11 AM
New build:
When up/down or SET or INFO buttons are assigned to ISO or Aperture More hacks is bypassed. If up/down button is disabled and other functions to SET and INFO are assigned than ISO and Aperture More hacks is active.

Could you elaborate a bit on the intended effect of adding More_harck Allow? If what's in the quote above is still active, I'm not sure what it targets exactly.

Danne

Small hacks "More" is not running when up down and Info button is assigned. That is because we want to be able to modify iso and aperture while recording. With the switch now it will enable More hacks always and iso and aperture won't work when recording but we gain an extra 5mb overhead.

Promet73

Tested feb 12 build, works well, but I always get a black screen when going from the ML menu to LV. To restore LV need to go into canon menu and back to LV.

Danne

Is this happening with all presets? Even if restarting cam?

Promet73

Quote from: Danne on February 15, 2024, 12:44:35 PM
Is this happening with all presets? Even if restarting cam?

I only use 4.2k 1x3 @23.976 12bit 16:9 1280x2160 2.18x

Yes it happens also restarting the camera.

No big deal, just press the "menu" button twice in and out the canon menu and it works fine.

Danne

gabriielangel

Hello, The Histogram is broken at lower bit depths with the latest build magiclantern-crop_mood.2024Feb12_Custom.EOSM202.zip.

To reproduce the issue:

Load any 1:1 Preset (Because Histogram is steadier in this mode)
Set Histogram to RAW-based (RGB) / ETTR hint
Set the preset to 14bit
Aim the camera at something bright and steady (Lamp, LCD Screen)
Take a Histogram reading
Press Record
Take a Histogram Reading again, Everything is ok, the number is identical.
Set the preset to 12bit
Take a Histogram reading
Press Record
Take a Histogram Reading again, The Histogram number is now higher than it should.
The number will go progressively higher than normal as you select lower bit depths.

My guess is that the Histogram takes its reading after the Live View Brightening adjustment. Because you recently made it so everything stays 14bit until we hit record (...) fill in the blanks :)
Although it has always been off by about +-0.2 EV in the past when using 12,11 and 10bit, it was still close enough. Now the difference is such that it will display OVER, so we can't do the translation in our heads.

It was last seen working as before in Crop Mood 2024Jan08 Custom, and 2024Jan12 Custom releases (I don't have the others ATM).

BTW, the changes you've made in the Movie menu really make a positive difference, as everything is "Right There" (As opposed to the Jan08 and Jan12 versions I just tried).

Danne

Yeah, my roundtrip probably causes the issue here. Not sure if I can fix that in any near future. Thanks for reporting.

Danne

New build

- Fixed a bug around more_hacks "Allowed" function.

huyct666

love the build, there is one thing i love about this build is sticky zoom feature, how ever i experience a weird behavior, my AE lock button now also sticky zoom
is this a bug? or intentional

video test in photo shooting mode

thank you Danne

Danne

AE button is also working as halfshutter button. You can change this button in cnaon menu C.fn section.

huyct666

zenny

Quote from: Danne on February 16, 2024, 03:23:00 AM
New build

- Fixed a bug around more_hacks "Allowed" function.

Thanks, Danne for your efforts to make eosm better. I only saw 2024-2-12 binary build at https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magiclantern_hg_02/downloads/magiclantern-crop_mood.2024Feb12_Custom.EOSM202.zip. Any update link?

Danne

zenny

Quote from: Danne on February 16, 2024, 09:47:03 AM
Check commit in repo  8).
A bugfix.

Yep I did see the change in commits, but that requires compilation, right?

Is there any document that explains how to compile your repo in Linux? The Makefile at https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magiclantern_hg_02/src/master/Makefile does not specify about compiling for Canon EOS M. Or does 'make eosm` or `make EOSM` or make `eos-m` work?

Thanks!

iaburn

Quote from: zenny on February 16, 2024, 12:39:09 PM
Yep I did see the change in commits, but that requires compilation, right?

Is there any document that explains how to compile your repo in Linux? The Makefile at https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magiclantern_hg_02/src/master/Makefile does not specify about compiling for Canon EOS M. Or does 'make eosm` or `make EOSM` or make `eos-m` work?

Thanks!

You don't need to compile, I guess Danne forgot to upload the binaries  ::)

Danne