Crop mood - Danne custom tweaks (EOS M)

Started by Danne, December 17, 2023, 07:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

No, you can use Full-Res LV 1x1. It's tallest.

2blackbar

Yes but no 24fps, i haev 2fps in fullsensor mode
Is there a specific address in 1440mode where i can up the height of the image ?
i have orange on 2500x1440 so i think in 1600x1600 il get green and i want 4/3 for 16mm look emulation, maybe even 1800x1800 would be recordable on this card

Danne

Don't think it is possible. Either use a ratio in RAW video to get 4:3 or use the 1x1 1920x1280p.

Cryptonize

Cool Build! But is it just me or the Photo/Stills function does not work? (camera locks up and battery needs to be removed) I also tried turning it on by holding the SET button but still the same behavior.

Danne

Possible 8).
New build:

- Added 1620p (2160x1620 1x1 4:3)

After some feedback from @2blackbar it seems we get a new preset into the mix. It´s a decent 4:3 1x1. Nicely centered realtime preview. Almost full preview. Use framing if needed.

iaburn

This new mode is amazing, thank you!!!! (thank you 2blackbar for not being  shy to ask xDD) Almost perfectly centered and it seems to have the full width in real time preview  :D
It fits like a glove c-mount lenses, one of my favorite modes from now on  :o

Danne

2blackbar

Yeah this preset is a nice addon for c-mount lenses.
From what side vignette shows up ? I think from the bottom a bit evenly from left and right but only on really low light scenarios where i shouldnt even film.
And its a bit hard to predict all c mount lenses, some vignette earlier and arent super centered

iaburn

I just like one of my c-mount lenses, the 25mm 1.4 from the picture before. It's perfectly centered with vignette visible on non-crop, but totally gone on 1x1 modes.
The new 1x1 4:3 mode has 0 vignette even wide open

Danne

Would be nice to see example of footage with these c-mount lenses.
We'll need a new map here too.

Danne

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on January 30, 2024, 01:32:19 PM
Pixel map added for 2160x1620 preset.

<3 I'll post some samples when I find something nice to shoot :D

iaburn

Danne, MLVApp is looking for 80000331_2232x1648.fpm instead of 80000331_2232x1649.fpm, if you want to change it, but works perfectly fine  :D

Cool thing is that 14bits are possible in this mode with fast SD cards:

A quick night test while taking out the rubbish on this 4:3 mode with the c-mount 25mm f1.4 wide open, showing light flares.
The lens is sharp from corner to corner, but it has this "spherical focus" shape, so the center and the edges are never in focus at the same time.

Same video with a more vintage look that fit the lens and the format better:

madzharov

Danne

Interesting indeed.
About the pixel map. Could you recheck against latest build in first post? I think I added 1 pixel height to get rid of pixelation at the bottom.

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on January 31, 2024, 08:02:04 AM
Interesting indeed.
About the pixel map. Could you recheck against latest build in first post? I think I added 1 pixel height to get rid of pixelation at the bottom.

I was indeed on an older version, cannot keep up with so many updates! :D

A curiosity about this new mode: 16mm film format size is 10.26x7.49mm, and the 2160x1620 pixels are spread approximately on a 9.3x6.98mm area of the sensor, so quite close.
For reference, the original BMPCC sensor size is 12.48x7.02mm, almost the same height but wider, to imitate super 16 format

gabriielangel

I had a nice setup today, so I took the opportunity to test the latest build while things were still in place: magiclantern-crop_mood.2024Jan29_Custom.EOSM202

The image quality is better than before.
I have tested all the resolutions below:

And I haven't found a single one of these (bad scan lines):

Which would appear every now and then in the previous builds. This is quite nice.
No corrupted frames either.

The following resolutions still have remnants of scanlines at the bottom, but those do not export to prores:

1280x2160, 1472x2208, 1600x2400, 3072x1308, 2520x1080, 1920x1280, 1736x1160, HFR: 1736x976, 1736x868, 1736x790, 1736x738.

The 726p 3x3 HFR Preset will show a black preview if the camera is set to AF. It shows ok when set to MF.

The 1:1 full-res LV only shows a portion of the frame, and it's not possible to press the * button to switch to framing.
This preset only worked well on bilal's first release of crop mood, where you would see a cropped preview, but you could press * to see the framing. (the 3k also worked this way back then)

I Like the order of the new Movie menu: Everything you use most often is right there, and 1 push up, goes at the bottom, so you can get to the rest with less scrolling.

The new preset is nice, You can post on TikTok or other Vertical / Square delivery platforms without wasting the side pixels like before.

I have 2 suggestions:

1- It would be nice if the 3k preset got the 2.39:1 treatment. The little extra room would give it more recording time on a bright day.

2- It would also be nice if MLV App could have an option to map clipped pixels to white. Because of the pink highlights, it is very challenging to shoot a scene like I did today, without underexposing a lot (Because of the reflective stainless steel on the watch).

Danne

You can enable framing/realtime back. There is a setting for that in RAW video.
Will check the other stuff later  8).

iaburn

Danne one small thing I've noticed on the new mode is that the "Focus aid" is centered when not recording, but way off centered when recording. Not sure if it's fixable, but would be great if there was a way to have the same focus point when recording than when standby  ::)

Danne

I can´t get it centered @iaburn.

I added a new build which allows to adjust reg_height in the sub menu. This is how to fix the bottom border pixelation. Usually +1 should work but maybe it is -1, -2 or +2, I am not sure. I simply don´t have time to correct this myself atm. Once correct number is obtained write them down and I can put them into the build.

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on February 01, 2024, 02:14:33 PM
I can´t get it centered @iaburn.

I thought that, not a big deal anyway :D

A day light example showing the incredibly creamy bokeh and how the bar gets sharp at the edges when the center is out of focus. This lens is super fun to use :)
https://vimeo.com/908661212

Danne

Nice! I like this new mode 1620p. Works really well.

iaburn

Quote from: gabriielangel on February 01, 2024, 04:34:11 AM
The 1:1 full-res LV only shows a portion of the frame, and it's not possible to press the * button to switch to framing.
This preset only worked well on bilal's first release of crop mood, where you would see a cropped preview, but you could press * to see the framing. (the 3k also worked this way back then)

Try enabling "Preview toggle" on the RAW video menu, and also remove any action assigned to the Half-Shutter on "Customize buttons". If you do that, half shutter press and (*) will toggle between real-time and actual framing. Not sure why half shutter affects (*) though, maybe is not possible to assign an action just to (*).

gabriielangel

Quote from: iaburn on February 01, 2024, 11:27:45 PM
Try enabling "Preview toggle" on the RAW video menu, and also remove any action assigned to the Half-Shutter on "Customize buttons". If you do that, half shutter press and (*) will toggle between real-time and actual framing. Not sure why half shutter affects (*) though, maybe is not possible to assign an action just to (*).
The * is assigned in the Canon Menu's Custom Functions(C.fn). In C.Fn IV menu 5, some settings transfer Auto-Focus to the * Button.

But Just enabling "Preview Toggle" Did the trick! You can then use the * Button to see the whole frame.

iaburn

Quote from: gabriielangel on February 02, 2024, 02:35:57 AM
The * is assigned in the Canon Menu's Custom Functions(C.fn). In C.Fn IV menu 5, some settings transfer Auto-Focus to the * Button.

But Just enabling "Preview Toggle" Did the trick! You can then use the * Button to see the whole frame.

I couldn't find a way to remove the autofocus from the half shutter and leave it only on the (*), but it doesn't bother me much because I just realized that enabling "Kill global draw", the black info bars on top and bottom are removed and it's a perfect 4:3 real time preview :)
It would be even better if we could simply hide this info bars, but keeping global draw so the zebras are visible, but I can live with that ;)