Crop mood - Danne custom tweaks (EOS M)

Started by Danne, December 17, 2023, 07:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

ML700D

EOS 700D

gabriielangel

This is Nice! Having every most used menu under the Movie tab again makes making modifications faster.

Also, giving access to the ISO Expo page (And Others) is good news.

Here's why:
On the Eos m, by default, the Wheel is assigned to Shutter and when you hit Right Button, it is momentarily assigned to Aperture.

Because the U/D and L/R buttons are located under the Wheel, if you reach for it and press too hard while turning, you end up triggering one of the buttons. So for me, putting ISO there is a no no, as I often bumped it up to 200-400 inadvertently and only realized 4-5 clips later. So I had to switch to Photo mode to modify it, which was annoying.

Same thing with the touch screen, it is too easy to touch it when you grab the camera and change something. In this build the Presets keep the modifications you make (Changing the bits to 14 for example), so it's not as bad as your former build where you had to dial in everything again whenever you switched presets.

But still, I'd rather put something inconsequential on the touch screen, like false colors; and then use the INFO and SET buttons, which are a lot harder to trigger by mistake, to put ISO access and x10 zoom (Or Aperture + -, which will be a lot more convenient than the wheel when the cam is on the gimbal).

Therefore, if you eventually added false colors to the touch screen menu, it would be a welcome addition.

Also, if doable (I know it may involve pre-populating the SETTINGS folder, which may be an annoyance) Having all the enabled modules showing with the green light, so that the user can unload those if needed, could help with troubleshooting, when people ask questions on the forums.

I 've been benchmarking my cards for the past few days, so I retested my Sandisk Extreme Pro 128 with your custom.
There is a slight penalty of about 5 MB/s when writing to the card. This can be mitigated by switching to 12 bits. With the fast cards, there is enough headroom for this.

Danne

Thanks for checking in.
I want a workflow which excludes the scroll wheel. As you say, it works bad as it needs multiple functions to work. With expo shortcuts we can skip the scrolling fiunally.
Installing this build automates modules and enables the build. Having an option to turn off the "invisible" modules will complicate things and I like to keep this simple. There´s the main crop mood build to do tests with. My version is more my personal preference and built around simplicity and usability.
Added false colors to tap display and fixed a few bugs.
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magiclantern_hg_02/downloads/

RhythmicEye

Quote from: Danne on January 09, 2024, 10:01:31 AM
Thanks for checking in.
I want a workflow which excludes the scroll wheel. As you say, it works bad as it needs multiple functions to work. With expo shortcuts we can skip the scrolling fiunally.
Installing this build automates modules and enables the build. Having an option to turn off the "invisible" modules will complicate things and I like to keep this simple. There´s the main crop mood build to do tests with. My version is more my personal preference and built around simplicity and usability.
Added false colors to tap display and fixed a few bugs.

Danne's on fire in 2024. This is awesome!

I'd just completed configuring my presets folders when I saw your update from yesterday. Combined with my presets this takes the little EOS M to a whole new level of functional.

Presets folder jpeg
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ew3EqcYAQOHQGj9SSY8Em6UznV11I7in/view?usp=share_link

iaburn

Crop mood with the best of the polished Danne's builds, cannot get any better  :D
So happy to have the Dual ISO shortcuts again, and the seamless photo switch is an awesome bonus. Thanks a lot Danne!!! <3

Danne

Thanks guys. I really am building my own personal version here and happy to share it with you.

@gabriielangel

Regarding speed penalty losing 5mb. I posted a new version. In this version if camera is set to manual focus and U/D Arrows is turned OFF or set to Aperture and if small hacks is set to More this should enable all hacks on the eos m and maximize sd card speed.

If cam is set to af or U/D Arrows set to ISO it will automatically turn off aewbSuspend(); which when enabled will ruin af and iso changes while filming.
Anyway. Thanks for noticing before.

gabriielangel

Thanks. As long as we know what's going on, it's easy to make a decision / compromise based on our needs (Pre-Focus at x10 Zoom on my end).

The Half-Shutter AF while filming works best at 2.5K and 1080p, and these modes can do without the 5 MB/s on a good card :)

Danne

I added a new preset to th 1x3 family:

Full res LV and will film in 12 fps. Full sensor. Really nice. Preview should be set to framing. I talked to bilal and he might try and make a real time preview possible. Preview kind of works with 2:35.1 but shows only part of the image but this indicates bilal should probably be able and fix this. I cross my fingers ;).

Commit:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magiclantern_hg_02/commits/ec57380e8ef222843c36adfc9aa00e66bf21f715

Essential parts:
                if (Anam_FLV)
                {
                    cmos_new[5] = 0x20 + CMOS_5_Debug;
                    cmos_new[7] = 0xC00 + CMOS_7_Debug;
                }

if (Anam_FLV)
    {
        RAW_H         = 0x1D4;  // from mv1080 mode
        RAW_V         = 0xDB0;
        TimerB        = 0x1407;
        TimerA        = 0x207;

//From AR_2_35_1
        Preview_H     = 1728;      // from mv1080 mode
        Preview_V     = 2214;
        Preview_R     = 0x1D000E;  // from mv1080 mode
        YUV_HD_S_H    = 0x10501B5;
        YUV_HD_S_V    = 0x1050341;
    }

RhythmicEye

@Danne

Testing - magiclantern-crop_mood.2024Jan11_Custom.EOSM202

Adding custom mode presets folders removes the ability to capture CR2 in camera mode, works when custom mode presets is set to off and the camera restarted.

Works in various resolutions if CM is set to off and camera restarted.

Will sticky half shutter toggle be able to be fixed in Crop Mood? Would be nice to be able to have x10 Zoom stick on half shutter and the ability to toggle on and off, it currently freezes LV when activated. I know this is an old issue but thought it worth revisiting.

Otherwise working like a dream so far. Even on older slower cards.

Danne

Hi!
Noticed CM modes weren´t working a few builds so fixed now. Uploaded a new build again.

About your issue taking CR2 stills. I could not reproduce this. Maybe it was related to the bug I just fixed? Could you retest this again?
Tested sticky halfshutter. Once halfshutter pushed you cannot disable the halfshutter push. Is that the issue? What are you using this function for by the way?

RhythmicEye

Thanks Danne.

I just came back to post an update to my previous post to say I retested the new build on a different SD card and it solved the issues I was having with CR2.

All seems to be working fine now

Danne

Good to know.
Regarding sticky halfshutter. Curious what could be done here. If you are using it to keep x10 zoom with halfshutter it should be easier to create a function for this in crop rec code than using the external stick halfshutter.

RhythmicEye

I was using SET for x10 Zoom but now using for Aperture + so was hoping for an alternative for x10 Zoom that toggles on/off

Danne

I see. I will take look when I get some more time.

Meanwhile. Increased fps to the 1x3 fullres LV preset.
14bit(12fps)
12bit(14fps)
11bit(14fps)
10bit(16fps, silent movie fps) Turn off ISO buttons up/down for best performance. Small hacks set to More.

With realtime preview this will probably be more solid than now.
Push MENU button a few times when changing fps or it will not be taken into effect.
FIXED. No need to enter MENU and back.

gabriielangel

Quote from: RhythmicEye on January 11, 2024, 11:59:42 AM
I was using SET for x10 Zoom but now using for Aperture + so was hoping for an alternative for x10 Zoom that toggles on/off

If you set your camera to Manual Focus (MF), in the canon menu, or on the lens if you are using an ef-s lens on an adapter.

You can go to the customize buttons menu and set it as:

Half-Shutter: Zoom x10
SET Button: Aperture +
INFO Button: Aperture -

Then, pressing the shutter halfway (Be careful not to push it too far!) will toggle x10 Zoom on off.
If you press it all the way in, it may take a photo, but sometimes it freezes the camera. So you need to pull the battery and restart it.

EDIT: I remember what I did to stop that annoyance:
Go to the Canon Menu
In the 5th tab
Set Video snapshot to: ENABLE
From now on, when in Video mode, the full Shutter Button won't work at all.
And it will work as usual in Photo Mode.
No Video Snapshot seems to be recorded on the card.
I haven't tested if it affects performance though. Let me know.

If your camera (Or ef-s lens) is set to AF

INFO Button: Zoom x10 (Preferred)
or
SET Button: Zoom x10 (If you do this, you won't be able to recenter the focus box automatically if you move it. You will have to use the arrows on screen to put it back in the center)

Then you use the wheel to change the Aperture.
If you use the wheel directly, it will change the shutter speed.
If you push right button, then turn the wheel, you will be able to adjust Aperture + -

Using the Tap screen fo x10Zoom would not work, as you wouldn't be able to turn it off once you're in, because of the Nav arrows on screen;
Using the U/D buttons seems to have a performance cost (I don't know if it's the buttons themselves, or what's currently assigned to them);
L/R buttons cannot be assigned in eos m ATM (From what I have read so far).

Danne

Up down buttons are only problematic with More hacks and ISO. Iso stops changing because of the hack. Therefore I disable the hack when ISO is enabled to up/down buttons. Other shortcuts are not affected.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Danne on January 10, 2024, 09:51:37 PM
I talked to bilal and he might try and make a real time preview possible. Preview kind of works with 2:35.1 but shows only part of the image but this indicates bilal should probably be able and fix this. I cross my fingers ;).

Previewing 1736x3478 in LiveView works :D
(Code was sent, check it out!)

Danne

Damn! The preview wizard from Syria has done it again  8) :o. I will fix this later tonight. Many thanks!

Danne

New build uploaded in first post 8)

1736x3478 (Full res LV) 1x3 preset. Upscaled 5208x3478 that is!

With 10bit you get 16 fps. With a little imagination this is like shooting CR2 bursts but continuous packed in MLV format  :P.
12bit runs at 14fps and 14 bit at 12 fps.

All thanks to the preview wizard theBilalFakhouri. Big thank you!

The preset is stashed in here:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=27084.msg245758#msg245758

Ernani

Bilal + Danne is one hell of a team! Thanks, guys!

whitelight

Great job guys!
Can't wait to have the time and test it.

Danne

New build:

- Sticky zoom added to halfshutter button
- Various fixes

RhythmicEye

Danne!!! This is awesome man, thank you.

Yet another level up on functionality. Great job and thanks again.

RE

RhythmicEye

Quote from: gabriielangel on January 11, 2024, 05:19:28 PM
If you set your camera to Manual Focus (MF), in the canon menu, or on the lens if you are using an ef-s lens on an adapter.

Half-Shutter: Zoom x10
SET Button: Aperture +
INFO Button: Aperture -

@gabrielangel

Thanks for the suggestion man but you've probably already seen Danne has added a sticky half shutter fix to the code. Woohoo!

Allows for the best of all button presets.

Hard to believe the EOS M just keeps getting better in 2024.

RE