Crop mood - Danne custom tweaks (EOS M)

Started by Danne, December 17, 2023, 07:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Nice.
Refined Focus aid some in last build. A compromise but better than centre way off like before.

Danne

New upload:

- Reworked Movie tab menu, added access to all important stuff
- Fixed screenshot bug
- Added fixed intervalometer and rec delay lua scrip(autoenabled, bottom in movie tab), fixed a console bug

kytai90

Hi .
I tried focus aid at 3x3 HFR , so i switch lens to AF (sigma 30 f1.4 art for ef-s mount) => Liveview get freeze, switch back to MF , live view work normaly.
Can we fix this, please. Happen at 3x3 only.

iaburn

With the last build I've noticed that the screen gets darker when pressing record and less than 14bit is selected, and darker with 10bit than with 12bit.
Anyone else noticed?
https://vimeo.com/903613854

Danne

I don't change to selected bitdepth until we hit record now. It stays 14bit before this. That is why   8).

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on January 17, 2024, 11:36:32 AM
I don't change to selected bitdepth until we hit record now. It stays 14bit before this. That is why   8).

But why is it darker? Shouldn't the brightness stay the same regardless of the bit depth?

RhythmicEye

Quote from: Danne on January 16, 2024, 01:43:09 AM
New upload:

- Reworked Movie tab menu, added access to all important stuff
- Fixed screenshot bug
- Added fixed intervalometer and rec delay lua scrip(autoenabled, bottom in movie tab), fixed a console bug

Sharing my extended Config Presets folder for - Crop Mood Danne custom tweaks 16th Jan 2024

Make sure to read the Presets_READ_ME before installation and follow the specific instructions

Please feel free to share link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OWKJGSERLr9bbWm9wjSy6AiPJSLju2ux/view?usp=sharing

NOTE: all resolutions are intentionally set to 23.976 @ 1/48 shutter

Enjoy!

Danne

Quote from: iaburn on January 17, 2024, 11:44:28 AM
But why is it darker? Shouldn't the brightness stay the same regardless of the bit depth?
Strange. Will fix it. Is it only happening with that preset?
Using latest build?

EDIT: Tested your preset but couldn´t reproduce your issue.

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on January 17, 2024, 02:16:40 PM
Strange. Will fix it. Is it only happening with that preset?
Using latest build?

EDIT: Tested your preset but couldn´t reproduce your issue.

It seems to happen when I customize the buttons like this:

Half shutter : Focus aid
Set button: zoom 10x
Info button: dual iso
Tap: false color
U/D arrow: aperture
L/R arrows: off

Edit: its the U/D arrow: aperture

Danne

Thanks! Fixed. I commented out awbsuspend hack. It´s causing these liveview freezes and disturbs too much.

I also Reworked 2.8k to 2.39:1 instead of 2.35:1. Also added 2.39:1 in HFR section.

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on January 17, 2024, 05:19:30 PM
Thanks! Fixed. I commented out awbsuspend hack. It´s causing these liveview freezes and disturbs too much.

I also Reworked 2.8k to 2.39:1 instead of 2.35:1. Also added 2.39:1 in HFR section.

Sounds good, thanks!

What is the impact of commenting out the awbsuspend hack? Does it mean that some performance is lost?

Danne

iaburn

I know many people value reliability more, but I personally prefer a bit more of performance and deal with the compromises. It doesn't sounds like a lot, but in Magic Lantern 4MB can be the difference between orange continuous recording and red stopped recording   :-\

Danne

Could add it back but It will be disabled when affected functions are enabled so better remember it ;).

Danne

New build:
When up/down or SET or INFO buttons are assigned to ISO or Aperture More hacks is bypassed. If up/down button is disabled and other functions to SET and INFO are assigned than ISO and Aperture More hacks is active.

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on January 18, 2024, 08:42:11 AM
New build:
When up/down or SET or INFO buttons are assigned to ISO or Aperture More hacks is bypassed. If up/down button is disabled and other functions to SET and INFO are assigned than ISO and Aperture More hacks is active.

I think it's a good solution :)

Am I right thinking that the problem is allowing to modify ISO and aperture while recording? Because another option could be to allow the shortcuts for ISO and aperture to work only when not recording.

Danne

Yes, liveview altering function is completely frozen regarding iso and aperture with the hack enabled no matter what buttons are used ;). WHy you noticed the brightness shift was due to a race condition because I know use 14bit until we start to record. Using engdrvout overrides regardless if the hack is on or not so this is used now with More hacks.
            //Workaround when small_hacks is set to More in mlv_lite.c
            if (!Arrows_U_D && INFO_button != 2 && INFO_button != 3 && SET_button != 2 && SET_button != 3)
            {
                if (OUTPUT_12BIT)
                {
                    EngDrvOutLV(0xC0F42744, 0x2020202);
                }
                if (OUTPUT_11BIT)
                {
                    EngDrvOutLV(0xC0F42744, 0x3030303);
                }
                if (OUTPUT_10BIT)
                {
                    EngDrvOutLV(0xC0F42744, 0x4040404);
                }
            }

Promet73

Hi Danne, do you know if this build would work on an EOS M2?
It works great on my M, but I have found an interesting offer for a top mint M2, and I was considering getting it...
Many thanks for your excellent work!!

iaburn

I have no problems with not being able to change ISO or aperture while recording, so I didn't assign buttons for that.
I did a quick test with my main sd card and 5.2K at 1:2.35 and 12bit is red with ISO shortcut but orange without the shortcut, so I'm happy with the extra MB/s  :D

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Promet73 on January 18, 2024, 12:25:52 PM
Hi Danne, do you know if this build would work on an EOS M2?
It works great on my M, but I have found an interesting offer for a top mint M2, and I was considering getting it...

EOS M2 is not well supported. So basically: You don't want to buy it if you want to do high res raw recordings.

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on January 18, 2024, 08:42:11 AM
New build:

I also think this is a sound compromise. Those recording with higher resolution presets will be able to get longer recording times.

Making preview 14bit allows for more precise exposure monitoring, as false colors and Histogram are more representative. Those were always slightly off when recording below 14 bits before, so you had a greater chance of clipping footage. The pink clouds you see in iaburn's example are the result of the highlights being clipped. It's not always possible to get rid of those after.

RhythmicEye

Quote from: gabriielangel on January 18, 2024, 03:51:27 PM

Making preview 14bit allows for more precise exposure monitoring, as false colors and Histogram are more representative. Those were always slightly off when recording below 14 bits before, so you had a greater chance of clipping footage. The pink clouds you see in iaburn's example are the result of the highlights being clipped. It's not always possible to get rid of those after.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

I've been experimenting with a variable ND filter and using the RED, AMBER, GREEN recording icon as a kind of exposure metre. I ride the exposure with ND filter based on the icon. Similar to focus pulling, it's not perfect but it gives quite a good result. Definitely takes some practice though

Is what we see on screen during recording under 14 bit not a representation of what is recorded to SD card? Including the new build...

Danne

New build:
Added a 1080p regular preset which allows to use ratios also with 1080p mode. Caveat. Preview slightly laggy until pressing rec.

Regarding 14bit preview @RhythmicEye. Preview screen is 14bit and only when recording it will change to other selected bit depths. If selected. 14bit will always be 14bit.

RhythmicEye

OK got it!

Now that I've had a chance to do a bit more testing, I'm starting to understand where and why you've made the compromises/choices you have. Been swapping SD cards between Danne's Jan 19 2024 build and Bilal's Aug 19 2023 build to see the performance and functionality differences.

I really like the compromises you've made to give us something with the best of both builds and a bit more ML magic sprinkled on top.

Once again kudos and thank you Danne and Bilal!

Danne

It´s all polishing now :).

New upload:

- Support of cropmarks and enabling aspect ratios from crop rec instead of in RAW video when in 1080p:

Preview works normally in this one.

EDIT: Added a fix for resetting offsets.