Write protect error bypass/solution?

Started by somactoth, January 06, 2024, 06:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

somactoth

Hi everybody,
my 600D's SD card slot may be broken, as I insert any kind of SD card (I have tried multiple), the camera always shows the message "Write Protect is on", even though it is not on on the SD card. Because of that, I couldn't install Magic Lantern, and also can't shoot any photos, only connected to my laptop and using EOS Utility 2.

I have looked online forums and such, and also have tried anything (taping the SD card, trying to manipulate the card slot with a non-metallic stick, resetting the camera etc.).
My question would be that is there any kind of solution to this problem?
Thanks in advance!

Walter Schulz

If you are comfortable with opening the camera and soldering you may shorten slot's WP switch. Card with properly working WP switch is open with WP slider in "protected" position. Shorten it and cam will ignore slider position.

a1ex (former dev lead) was able to tweak cam to ignore switch position. He is no longer available and I don't know if the devs are able and willing to work on it. Knowledge has been lost and documentation is a mess ...

And yes: There is a way to make ML run on your cam. Of course not with standard procedure. USB connection can do, too.

kytai90

I get into that problem once, tried to switch on/off the clock, formated the card, doing some antivirus scan,... => nothing work, then I find a solution on goole.
Here it is : https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/how-to-format-a-write-protected-sd-card.html#cmd_command
Method 4. Using CMD.
It worked for me.

Walter Schulz

Different problem.
Card's slider is separated from card's electronics. Slider  actuates a switch in cam's card connector housing which is read by cam's firmware.