the advantage of 5d3 5.7k full frame over 3.5k s35

Started by mlrocks, November 19, 2023, 07:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlrocks

better dr
better low light
better gradation
better color (subjective)

so, although 3.5k has workable dual iso, this does not compensate the full sensor's advantage.

vastunghia

5D3 for video
70D for photo

mlrocks

Quote from: vastunghia on November 19, 2023, 08:28:18 PM
sounds a lot like a free lunch ;)

in photography, full frame is always better than aps-c.
in movie, probably rolling shutter is greater in full frame. resolution wise, i doubt there is any eye catching difference between the modes.

vastunghia

Quote from: mlrocks on November 20, 2023, 08:25:23 AM
resolution wise, i doubt there is any eye catching difference between the modes

To me, there is. And rolling shutter makes me sick with FF @ wide angles.

But all of this is subjective of course.
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Grognard

Quote from: mlrocks on November 19, 2023, 07:37:44 PM
better dr
better low light
better gradation
better color (subjective)

so, although 3.5k has workable dual iso, this does not compensate the full sensor's advantage.

Already been discussed here.
The DR is the same because 3.5k is just a crop of the full frame, the sensor capability remains the same

vastunghia

Quote from: Grognard on November 20, 2023, 12:40:39 PM
The DR is the same because 3.5k is just a crop of the full frame, the sensor capability remains the same

+1
5D3 for video
70D for photo

mlrocks

i like both modes, but the vista vision has something special indesciblely beautiful. when comparing my two sessions of 3.5k 5d3 ml with efs 10-18 and 5.7k with an old mf lens, i feel the former has high apparent resolution, but kind of dry; the latter s much smoother, like painting, resolution is also good enough, more balanced. color feels deeper too, but hard to reason why. maybe the lens matters, but i think the sensor size matters too.
update: I remember now that the 3.5k session was 10 bit only, 5.7k session was 12-14 bit. At the time, this was the highest bit rate can go with continuous recording. So maybe this is why 5.7k color seems deeper.

anyways, the best part is that you can have both in one cam for free.

mlrocks

Quote from: vastunghia on November 20, 2023, 11:24:30 AM
To me, there is. And rolling shutter makes me sick with FF @ wide angles.

But all of this is subjective of course.

if you do 800%, yes, many latest mirrorless or even iphone 15 pro max beat 5d3ml in all modes.
but in reality, even viewing one foot from 1080p computer screen of 27 inches size in full screen mode is more demanding than sitting in the middle seats of a standard theatre. hollywood pro dps already test that more than 4k or even more than 2k is overkill for normal scenarios. for aerial or outer spacial shooting, 1000k makes sense. 

mlrocks

Quote from: Grognard on November 20, 2023, 12:40:39 PM
if so, then rolling shutter should be the same too?