Use case research - Infrared (thermal)+motion detect+video

Started by canoneer, November 01, 2023, 10:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

canoneer

Hi all. I am a ML user (not developer) - back in time on 60D - with Crop Mood on Ms and 700D today.

A discussion I have been in is about triggering video capture for a certain length - with adjustable trigger-light/ temperature change - thought to be used on a infrared converted EOS camera.

Been searching historic topics - and there are some about triggering for lightning back in time - a function I have previously used for both lightning and bird photos then on the 60D.

This use case is kind of the same but for video and triggered by changes in different infrared frequency light levels - helped by filters. Is there a direction in the ML history or development that could help in this?

names_are_hard

changes in different infrared frequency light levels - helped by filters
What kind of changes?  Can you describe what your goal is?

Is there a direction in the ML history or development that could help in this?
Too vague a question for me to answer, sorry :)  Do you mean "help with the thing", or "do the thing"?  Impossible to answer either way without a better description of what the thing is.

canoneer

The use case discussed is to trigger and video appearence and movement of what can be called lightning or energy «bulbs» in the sky - day or night.

names_are_hard

The existing motion detection would meet that description.  Presumably that doesn't work for you, or you'd use it?

That's why I'm asking for some more detail.  What criteria do you want to trigger on, that simple motion doesn't work?

canoneer

I think it might work, but to my knowledge it triggers an image- not video. Or am I wrong?

names_are_hard

I haven't used it.  A quick look at the code suggests it only triggers photos.  Looks like it would be easy for someone to adapt for video (leaving aside the question of when to stop the recording).

canoneer

I thought it needed some work from my own testing some years back. The length of the clip should ideally be possible to set from options but probably not critical. A question is also which EOS - ideally 4k - but clips not longer than 5-15 seconds should give some alternatives.

canoneer

Another critical requirement is that it should allow a 24/7 setup - without overheating or going asleep. Probably not very frequent clips.

names_are_hard

I'd say we're at a useful set of definitions now, that's good.  Now you just need to learn how to do it, or convince someone else to do it for you ;)

Walter Schulz

Would be easier to use an external trigger device with a sensor and detection logic.

canoneer

canoneer

I have done this search  :-[ - the use case depend on reacting on non- visable infrared thermal frequence appearence, which I hope to get filters for if converting the EOS camera. Normal commercial triggers are for visable light.

Walter Schulz

Sounds like you need a PIR sensor, right?
Article in english wiki doen't exactly cover your issue. German one seems more like matching your use case.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyroelektrischer_Sensor
Try Deepl.com for translation.

And it sounds like you need some electronic geek's advice how to combine that with a trigger device intended to be used long term (commercial or not).

names_are_hard

Yeah, if you *actually* want thermal IR, canon sensors won't pick it up.

If you're being contracted to make a ghost and/or UFO cam, just tell them it works and have it fire randomly :D

canoneer