Looking for 3x1 samples (any camera)

Started by EvanMcG, September 16, 2023, 06:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skinny

Maybe with 5d3 it is not as much of a crop, although 1.6 crop is still significant.. But if you can really push this camera to 4k it will be even less crop.

At the same time, cameras like 5d2 will only have somewhat useable 2,7k, which means 2x crop.

And I have lenses for example 20mm, 37mm, lots of 50mm and some 65, 80 and so on.
So with 2x crop I will only use 20mm because 37 is not sharp enough.

While with full frame I can use whatever I want, all cheap and fast 50mm lenses with lots of bokeh and character..
For example you can find 50mm f1.4 for...$50 if you are lucky enough. But you need ~35mm to get the same FOV with 1.6 crop factor, and 35mm f1.4 will cost you.... a lot. Probably more than the camera itself.

And for guys with 700D or 650D using 1x1 will mean even smaller sensor area than micro 4/3 and it is just so tiny they need to invest in absolutely different lenses for their cameras to use this mode. Unless you like your kit lens and happy with it.. And maybe already have some wide angle lenses.. It will depend on what you have.

a.sintes

@Skinny: you're right, not everyone got a 5D3... 3x1 makes sense to reduce the crop factor.
It's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?

EvanMcG

Honestly that is quite a smart idea, buying a full frame and mounting a 1.6x APS-C lens. It's just a shame about the cost of full frame cameras.

vastunghia

Got my 5D3 for 300 bucks. I was lucky, but you just need to be patient and wait for the right deal to pop out on eBay.
5D3 for video
70D for photo