survey about sd overclocking

Started by Lucagw, September 11, 2023, 10:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucagw

Hi everyone,
i would like to ask how many people are interested in porting sd overclock to Digic 4 cameras.

There are many popular cameras in this group like 500D 550D 600D 60D 50d 5D2 1100D.
Personally i own a 600D and will be very happy to improve the R/W speed of the camera (i.e.for video recording)
Unfortunately i cannot help due my zero level in programming, but i tink that some developer can find a better motivation if the interest was very high.
I've read a Bilal's comment about a maybe not so difficult porting a part of his work for Digic 5 to Digic 4 .
Maybe someone is interested?
Luca
Canon EOS 600D

names_are_hard

Of course everyone with a Digic 4 cam would like the ability to overclock SD.  And all devs already know this :)

We need more devs, and the devs we do have need more time, not more motivation.

Bruno Moly

You can't imagine how much time and effort are invested in Magic Lantern. Always thinking productively.
Until today, the 5D3 was the most beautiful image. Compared to the 1DX (video).

The autumn of Magic Lantern 🇬🇧

In me, you can see that time of year
Where lately the sweet birds sang
In me, you can see only the dim light that remains
After the sun sets in the west
The image of death that envelops all in rest
Lying on the dying flame of my youth
This you sense, and it makes your love more determined
Causing you to love that which you must give up before long.

William Shakespeare  8)
Canon EOS 5D iii Carl Zeiss Jena 58mm Biotar

Lucagw

Of course i understand all the effort that dev put in ML in those almost 15 years.  ;-)
Also that lot of time is spent on newer cpu waiting for a ML usable release.

I'm just thinking if some devs are still working on old cameras... Because now are extremely cheap and still usable for many uses. But unfortunately have the worst speed in R/W.
I know there are some effort to mantain ML usable on every model... For this reason i was asking.
An thank you so much for any answer.

Luca
Canon EOS 600D

Skinny

Quote from: Lucagw on September 11, 2023, 10:09:23 PMI've read a Bilal's comment about a maybe not so difficult porting a part of his work for Digic 5 to Digic 4 .

It is not that easy, we did some tests in the past but the speed was not increasing. Maybe different registers or something totally different for digic 4, but it is not just an easy port...

2blackbar

I dont know about the part of old cams getting cheap but  the expensive ones got cheap for sure, canon M for example actually costs more now than when it came out, i got it for 150euro with lens back in 2012 but now you wont get it at this price.
Canon 5DIIs are cheap now that i feel sorry for cameras and have the urge to buy them just cause theyre so cheap, unfortunately 5D has its own issues with colours in raw video , if it would be like M then id buy more.
And the thing about survey i get that its just a topic to get attention of the devs, so theyd see how many people are interested and can potentially crowdfund the development.

theBilalFakhouri

I had a plan in the past to work on DIGIC 4 in these aspects:

-Lossless compression (if it's possible).
-SD Overclokcing (if it's possible).
-crop_rec stuff (beside real-time preview).

I don't have any DIGIC 4 models, but more likely the community might be able to donate the amount to buy a DIGIC 4 model (like 600D) via crowdfunding,
Unfortuntatly and currently I don't have time to work on DIGIC 4, I have two models to work on which are 5D3 and 70D, will be focusing on these in my ML time.

I am not sure if SD Overclocking is possible i.e the UHS-I speeds/modes, the controller might not support these modes (it could be an old version on DIGIC 4),

If a dev want to work on SD OC on DIGIC 4, he might need SD card board extender or a way to measure SD voltage, because DIGIC 4 lacks SD voltage switch function in ROM unlike DIGIC 5 models which have it by default.
(implemetning SD voltage switch on DIGIC 4 might be easy if the controller support it, UHS-I mode requires 1.8 voltage, I think DIGIC 4 uses 3.3v by default).

In general, getting either SD OC or lossless compression working on DIGIC 4 will give you longer recording times for RAW video (I think that's what DIGIC 4 users want in this case).

Lucagw

Thank you Bilal for the infos,
So let say that if i take the source of sd_uhs.mo and compile it for 600D in Lua_fix and launch the module on my 600D i can give some more information to someone interested in investigate this ? Or make some test on the camera?
Because all i know is how to compile a module....right now.
Luca
Canon EOS 600D

Lucagw

Quote from: Skinny on September 12, 2023, 05:08:57 PM
It is not that easy, we did some tests in the past but the speed was not increasing. Maybe different registers or something totally different for digic 4, but it is not just an easy port...

Thank you for the info, can you tell me more?
Which camera
What kind of test?
Luca
Canon EOS 600D

Skinny

Maybe about a year ago, when Bilal did his SD overclock for digic 5 family, he made some test builds to test if 550D SD controller could be switched to higher frequencies. But unfortunately it didn't work back then. There could be two possible reasons - maybe digic 4 just has completely different SD controller, or maybe it is not possible at all, at least without HW modifications.

By the way SD extender is not really necessary to measure stuff, one can just open a standard microSD - SD adapter and solder some thin wires there