Ultrafast framed preview (5D3)

Started by a.sintes, August 23, 2023, 05:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a.sintes

Using "Frozen LV" you can actually record 4K WITH proper framed preview, it's just less smooth and you increase the risk to encounter record buffer saturation.
But with all the hacks activated, card spanning, SD overclock etc. it's quite usable and most of the time it's ok for continuous recording, specifically when targeting RAW 12bits instead of 14bits (which is enough even with extreme color grading post-process, honestly).

But yes, I also prefer the 3.5K 14bits x5 preset experience, which is almost flawless on the 5D3 (recorded myself a whole shooting day without any trouble for a music video project).

The advantage of 4K being the "native" 4K timeline, avoiding an additional upscaling stage to be applied over your 3.5K footages before typical YT uploads.
It's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?

Mattia

Quote from: a.sintes on September 29, 2023, 08:52:44 PM
specifically when targeting RAW 12bits instead of 14bits (which is enough even with extreme color grading post-process, honestly).

When you say 12bits and 14bits, you mean 14bit and 12bit lossless? On my 5d3, with all the hacks active, sd overclock, audio off, etc I can't record more than few seconds if I use a non lossless bit depth. Am I doing something wrong?

Walter Schulz

Yes
Run benchmark in photo mode and share results.

Mattia

Samsung Pro Plus 256Gb
IMG-20230929-233511" border="0

Samsung Pro Plus 256Gb + Lexar Professional 1066x 64Gb
IMG-20230929-233631" border="0

Buffer R/W
IMG-20230929-234255" border="0

Walter Schulz

Looks perfect.
Cam limit for combined write is 145 MByte/s for continuous recording.
Check data rates for your settings.

Bender@arsch

Quote from: Mattia on September 29, 2023, 11:09:55 PM
When you say 12bits and 14bits, you mean 14bit and 12bit lossless? On my 5d3, with all the hacks active, sd overclock, audio off, etc I can't record more than few seconds if I use a non lossless bit depth. Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, he means 12 and 14bit lossless 😉
Just use the bitdepth in the Movie Tab - it is all lossless and a tweaking from the 14bit lossless. Just let the data format in raw video at 14bit lossless.

Mattia

Once again, I've experienced how after running the benchmarks my cards perform much better. This is something that should be investigated, it doesn't seem a casual occurrence. Before running the benchmarks I could record only one or two seconds at 10bit or 12bit (not lossless), after running the benchmarks my 5d3 seemed capable of continuous shooting at the same bit depths. However, before I could have a (choppy) preview, after I couldn't, no matter if I selected "framing" or "live view" or any other option available for the preview, it remained always frozen.

Walter Schulz

Willing to bet no small amount it is completely unrelated.

dxotic

I am stumped. I have successfully shot 1808x 2268 anamorphic continuous with my EX Fat Formatted Extreme Pro SD and CF spanned cards but as you can see I cant even get it going now , not sure what I've done wrong.. and I can't run the benchmarks as the modules aren't loading any help with workflow for my setup with anamorphic would be greatly appreciated.

Walter Schulz

Rename ML dir, rename autoexec.bin and ML-SETUP.FIR.
Download latest build and copy extracted build content to card.
Retry (including benchmark) and report back.

Danne

Looks like it maybe records to SD card. Try removing the SD card for testing purposes.
It is also not advices to change resolution from RAW video section but stick to preset in main movie tab.

Mattia

Is it a normal behaviour when selecting 10 or 12 bit (non lossless) the preview become frozen? Regardless of the preview option chosen in the menu..

a.sintes

Yes, it's expected: RAW uncompressed requieres too much recording bandwidth, which is unsustainable for the camera buffer, when compressed (but lossless) RAW reduces in ~half the amount of data to be flushed on the cards, leaving the record buffer free enough to allow continuous recording.

As explained before: let the default 14bits lossless setting as it is and just switch the bit depth to 10/12bits in the Movie menu.

Mattia

Quote from: a.sintes on September 30, 2023, 12:45:31 PM
As explained before: let the default 14bits lossless setting as it is and just switch the bit depth to 10/12bits in the Movie menu.

In what would it result? Will it record in 14bits lossless in the end? I usually turn off bit depth in the movie menu and select 14 bits lossless in the raw video sub menu.

a.sintes

With 14bits lossless selected in RAW:
When bit depth turned off=14bits lossless
When bit depth set to 12bits=12bits lossless
When bit depth set to 10bits=10bits lossless
etc.

Yes, too many menus with almost the same options doesn't help...

Mattia

Quote from: a.sintes on September 30, 2023, 01:32:26 PM
With 14bits lossless selected in RAW:
When bit depth turned off=14bits lossless
When bit depth set to 12bits=12bits lossless
When bit depth set to 10bits=10bits lossless
etc.

Yes, too much menus with almost the same options doesn't help...

I didn't know that, thanks!

dxotic

I have no idea why it isn't writing to the SD card even though i have card spanning on. Im sure it use to. I have formatted the card on the PC and also cleared the settings on the camera, I have found that some of these settings seems to "stick" even if it gets formatted.

I can get continuous recording if I turn the bit depth to 10 bit. 

But how do i get the anamorphic ratio correction?

I turned on the cinemato.mo on and it fails to load... Is it my SD card , I have two and they seem to be both the same result.
Do I turn it on or will it autoload when Im in anamorphic mode

Walter Schulz

Which card is used to run ML?
If it is your CF there is no use reformatting SD because ML settings are stored in CF's ML/SETTINGS directory and those could be swiped by using "Restore ML defaults" in Prefs -> Config files/options.

dxotic

I have  ML on the SD card and I checked the CF and there was nothing on it besides a .log file and the MLVs I have now formatted it EXFAT on the PC

dxotic

I've also restored to default as You've suggested but it doesn't seem to have wiped it and I didn't have to reconfigure it, it seems

Walter Schulz

Clarification: Both camera defaults.and ML defaults?
In former post you wrote camera defaults.

dxotic

This is what I am faced with:

I slow reformatted both cards. and defaulted both the camera as well as the ML as pointed out by Walter and then turned on bench.mo , restarted and did the bench and the SD worked then i turned on the card spanning and the 240 speed up of the SD card and did the bench again and the SD didnt benchmarked.

Walter Schulz

Try lower oc frequencies and test both Access modes (oc sub menu: SDR104, SDR50)

dxotic

Good News!

I once again cleared both the camera and ML back to default config and re-entered the needed information for Raw shooting at 1880x2268 Anamorphic Preset 12 Bit and the SD card spanning and SD card OC at 192 and both cards were being written to.

Cards are SanDisk Extreme Pro  SDXC 64Gb  and  Sandisk Extreme Pro Extreme Pro CF 64Gb 90MB/s

here is the result with 12 Bit Raw 1880x2268 continuous recording

my next enquiry is what is the purpose of the cinemato.mo
before I enable it. and how do I get the Anamorphic correction in Live view as the Anamorphic in  Display doesnt exactly correct  the  2:1 ratio as intended.

any other tweaks you can recommend will be greatly appreciated
:D
Thanks for all your help

a.sintes

cinemato.mo is a focus sequencing module, its only purpose is to replace the embedded two-points limited focus rack feature by allowing the preparation of multiple focus points to be replayed later (during recording).

Please note I'm currently working on a complete rewrite of it, relying over a preliminary lens calibration process that will allow to easily setup the focus sequence by using the auto-focus; sadly, it will require not just an additional module this time but also a different version of ML code (around lens.c) to be reliable, so I'll push it directly on my repository in the future.