Ultrafast framed preview (5D3)

Started by a.sintes, August 23, 2023, 05:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grognard

Great new features.

It works pretty well. But I also have one side effects If I use grayscale preview, I can't switch back from crop preview if I press half shutter.
It's linked with timing tweak.

Maybe you can add a other option to change resolution between idle and recording. It would be Nice to have half colour resolution before and quarter colour resolution when recording.

Thank you!

a.sintes

Thanks for the feedback!

Cannot reproduce the switch back issue after a half shutter press, need to dig it as you're not the only one it seems...
If it's linked to the "timing tweak" option I think I'll add a third timing option that only removes the sleep when idling, leaving the old values when recording for testing purpose.

And yes, I completely agree with your proposal: I'll change the menu organisation so we can independently choose both "style" and "resolution" for two "idle" and "recording" modes, may also change a bit the way the current "LV freeze" behave (potentially alterning colored & grayscale), which is not very confortable for now.
It's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?

ShittyWebsite

Helo, looking good!
(since we are talking about preview i feel like this might help)
I'm having problems, I guess is not ultrafast but half-shutter behavior , is there any setting or anything to do to avoid half-shutter to zoom? (perhaps somewhere codded)

Sometimes i use ("RAW video", "Rec trigger", "Half-shutter: start/pause") and i get stuck cropped preview, (3.3k/3.5k stuck cropped preview,anamorphic stuck cropped distorted preview,Full-res/UHD/4k stuck with no preview at all)

While playback:
Is it possible to disable automatically for a while?

a.sintes

This half-shutter action in ML seems to be a simple relay to Canon native comportment (autofocus) and if I understood well the code doing the translation in ML is (at least on Danne's repository) in the src/module.c source file(around line 916), so yes, I suppose it's possible to bypass it by adding a new dedicated menu option setting a boolean variable to do so (but it will require a whole ML build/update as it's outside the modules boundaries).

Anyway I won't mix this one with a potential ultrafast feature commit, as it's completely unrelated :-)

a.sintes

Just dropped a new version with independent menus to setup preview when idling or recording (as suggested by Grognard) but also updated timing options to continue the testing.

new menu organisation:
Framed preview
    Engine: legacy | ultrafast
    Comportment
        Idle
            Style: colored | grayscaled
            Resolution: half | quarter
        Recording
            Style: colored | grayscaled
            Resolution: half | quarter
    Timing: legacy | tempered | agressive
    Statistics: off | on

About Comportment:
We can now choose both style & resolution based over the raw_recording_state of the camera (idle or recording), which is more natural for the user (adaptive raw preview).
Anyway, we can also continue to call the raw preview routine by forcing RAW_PREVIEW_COLOR_HALFRES or RAW_PREVIEW_GRAY_ULTRA_FAST (legacy comportment), meaning we can again switch between half resolution colored and quarter resolution grayscale during mlv_play replay (was broken before) with both the legacy or ultrafast framed preview engine.
Adaptive mode also helps to avoid the colored/grayscale switch during recording when dealing with "LV freeze" framing, which is more confortable.

About Timing:
- legacy relies on the current sleep statements as in Danne's repository
- tempered only tries to speed-up things when idling (or replaying via mlv_play), which is a good compromise (faster before / safe during recording)
- agressive tries to also reduce the sleep values when recording to speed-up the display a bit (need to be tested more: may lead to unexpected recording stop depending of the write buffer saturation)

Updated code is available here:
crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_ultrafast_2023Sep01_patch

5D3 pre-builds are available here:
crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_ultrafast_2023Sep01.5D3113
crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_ultrafast_2023Sep01.5D3123

ShittyWebsite

Great build!

Everything working perfectly, did a bunch of tests, the idle/recording trick fixed all half-shutter problems

What's impressive is that with "Rec trigger: Start/Pause" while recording but paused (waiting half-shutter to start) the previews stays "idle" only changing when actually recording

That's great, pretty much real-time BW while recording

a.sintes

Thanks a lot, it's a very good news for the half-shutter issue!

For the "rec trigger" thing, it's because I used the raw_recording_state flag in the opposite direction, switching to recording preview state only when actually set to RAW_RECORDING, leaving all the other potential states (IDLE, PREPARING, PRE_RECORDING & FINISHING) sticked to the idle category: happy to see it's a good decision :-)

a.sintes

FYI, two pull requests are currently opened around this feature on both Danne's 5D3 specific repository and name_are_hard ML simplified repository:
- https://github.com/reticulatedpines/magiclantern_simplified/pull/114
- https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_dannephoto_git/pull-requests/2

kpn

Bruno Moly

I don't want to be disappointed. I think it is a great idea. I recently just wanted to see if it is worth it for me. And I had both settings side by side and I've got two 5D3s and I prefer to press the info button and switch between magic zoom and the other preview. That was tested with the anomorphic mode.
Is there any better rolling shutter or some other kind of better quality, if I use this magic lantern version?
Canon EOS 5D iii Carl Zeiss Jena 58mm Biotar

a.sintes

Sorry, I don't understand your comment: did you test it yourself? did you compare before & after on two different 5D3 camera? are you disappointed? :-/
Don't see also the point about the magic zoom feature, which is completely something else.

About your last question: it doesn't change anything else than the "framed preview" display performances in LV as stated by the feature name itself, so don't expect any other magic side effects :-)

Bruno Moly

Yes, I tested myself. Should I make a proof video? :)
Difficult for me to ask for something. A great step with the Canon EOS 5D Mark III...
would be... I would wish for the aspect 2:35:1. {full frame | 1.00 /\ 1808x2300 | 1.06}    I think the most of my favorite movies are filmed in that aspect ratio. It will make the camera, more like all the other cameras and I think compared to the modern mirrorless cameras, it has a better film grain. The whole picture detail, with being not so very sharp, makes it a comparable cinema camera.
Canon EOS 5D iii Carl Zeiss Jena 58mm Biotar

a.sintes

Unrelated, but you can already get 2.35:1 or 2.39:1 aspect ratios when recording RAW, no matter the resolution (Movie/RAW video/Aspect ratio or Movie/Ratio if using anamorphic presets)

andy kh

i get pink frames with this build. Is anyone also getting pink frames?

edit: its my cf card that gives me pink frames. i tried with another cf card and there is no pink frames
5D Mark III - 70D

a.sintes

koopg

great news, but reading this thread got me a bit confused.

should I install this on top of danne pre installed build ?

thanks

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Walter Schulz

@a.sintes: Confusion is understandable.
It's proper practice around here to update initial posts with latest info and links.

a.sintes

@Walter Schulz: you're totally right, I'll do the change today.

Update done, do not hesitate if not clear enough now!

koopg

OK, I have manged to test it, it works.
many thanks for your work.

is there a way to use this while recording?
I have the croped real time when recirding, I couldnt find a way to change it to this new mode.

a.sintes

Yes, in the "movie/RAW Video" tab you need to:
- set "crop rec preview" to "OFF" (not "auto mode")
- set "Preview" to "Framing" or "Frozen LV" (not "auto" nor "real-time")
- ensures "Kill global draw" is "OFF"

koopg

Bender@arsch

Quote from: koopg on September 28, 2023, 04:29:44 PM
not working

Change "Kill global draw" to off

koopg

Quote from: Bender@arsch on September 28, 2023, 05:06:23 PM
Change "Kill global draw" to off
great it works, thanks.

OK now when I am all set, between
what I can do
and
what is most comfterble to use..

what is your goto witg this new settings

p.s
when "kill global drraw" is set to "off" the status of cards recording is gone, and I have no idea if card spanning is working without problem(some time I see only one card working and I need to restart)
if you have a workaround?..

a.sintes

"comfortable" really depends from a person to another... I personally always set "Preview" to "Framing" unless recording in 4K, where I need to switch it to "Frozen LV" in order to allow continuous recording, then my framed preview configuration is always set to quarter resolution/grayscale no matter if idle or record as I prefer to check the scenery lighting/colors with my own eyes but the framing with the camera.

mmm never checked the status of the card spanning while recording (I mean: if it works once, it will work unless you change your configuration), I'm just putting attention to the global record buffer state when it's becoming red, generally meaning the scene is slightly overexposed and the camera it's struggling to encode/record the RAW data.

koopg

off topic
why do you use tge 4k?
how can you work without preview?
isnt better to shoot the amazing 3.5k  ?