EOS M Crop Mood: "Expect around 0 frames at 65MB/s" - why? SOLVED!

Started by artem, August 23, 2023, 11:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artem

Dear ML enthusiasts, yesterday I started to deal with ML settings on my EOS M and ran into a typical (?) noob problem: "Expect around 0 frames at 6xMB/s". I took all settings from a 1 month fresh video and set the maximum quality settings (1:3, 14 bit, 5.2k). My card had to support this mode (Sandisk Extreme Pro 200mb/s 128Gb v3 class 10). Could you please tell me in which settings I could mistake? Maybe I need to try other versions of ML? Now It's the latest Crop Mood (2023Aug19.EOSM202). I tried to reduce the video quality in different ways, but it gave me about 50 frames only. I will be glad for your tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Dx4RPpwEk&ab_channel=ReelFilmmaking

Walter Schulz

This line is not always telling the whole truth, nothing but the truth ...

What are your actual recording durations?

About recording settings: Please stick to Bilal's instructions. Found in https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26851.0 -> Walkthrough video + latest adaptions for Aug19 build as pointed out in https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26851.msg244733#msg244733
Esp. noteworthy:
"-Now Aug 19 build uses AeWb method by default to ensure stability (you have the option to change it if you want), and it's highly recommended to keep it AeWb, and just use x10 mode for focusing."

EDIT: To ease your soul you may run a benchmark to verify card integrity.
Access Modules tab and load bench.mo and sd_uhs.mo only. Unload all others. Restart cam in Photo (!) mode.
Access Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card benchmarks -> Quick R/W card benchmark (1 min) and start benchmark. Immediately after benchmark starting press Play button to go into PLAY-UNK LCD mode.
Benchmark should show write numbers well above 90 MByte/s.

artem

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 23, 2023, 11:12:41 AM
What are your actual recording durations?
Less than a second. Just several frames.

I've also tried to set AccessMode to "SDR50" in SD Overclock submenu like it was recommended here: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26832.0 - and it didn't work for me.

I'll check your links, thank you! It is the first time in a decade when I've found youtube can't help me in a second. Like in old good days.

EDIT: Roger! Hope for good results because I've bought two equal cards during Amazon sales  :D

artem

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 23, 2023, 11:12:41 AM
Benchmark should show write numbers well above 90 MByte/s.

Not above unfortunately. Feels like my card is not fast enough, right?

I can record continuously with crop mood off, in RAW 1736*n (4:3 looks preferable because it can be cut to cinematic 16:9 in post). But I still hope to reach a full potential of the camera.

EDIT:
SD overlock 240MHz (H):
Write speed: 84.2 Mb/s
Read speed: 86.2 Mb/s

SD overlock 192MHz, 160MHz, OFF:
Write speed: 78.3 Mb/s
Read speed: 86.2 Mb/s

Walter Schulz

Looks like you have troubles following instructions. ;-)
Card is good. But you selected bit depth "14 bit" = 14 bit without compression. And it works as designed. You cannot get 153.4 MByte/s data transfer rate for continuous recording. Cam maxes out at around 83 MByte/s.

artem

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 23, 2023, 10:00:28 PM
You cannot get 153.4 MByte/s data transfer rate for continuous recording. Cam maxes out at around 83 MByte/s.
Oh, so I need to check settings about bitrate, right? Something is "doubled" that Mbytes... Any ideas?.. I nerdly did all step by step (that crop mood walkthrough), and there are not so many settings to make a mistake.

EDIT: Ups... I've changed 14 bit to 14 lossless, and it works somehow... One try was long, about ten seconds, second one was about several seconds and was shut by camera. Anyway, thank you for advice, I could search it for days by myself  :D

Walter Schulz

General rule: Avoid overexposure or compression algorithm may break.

artem

Good tip! Does zebra work correctly enough to avoid it? Or there are some nuances? I was going to be as lighter as possible up to the first red spots, but now I see it can be challenging for the camera.

Grognard

Quote from: artem on August 24, 2023, 10:04:29 AM
Good tip! Does zebra work correctly enough to avoid it? Or there are some nuances? I was going to be as lighter as possible up to the first red spots, but now I see it can be challenging for the camera.

No, raw zebras are broken in crop mood unless you use framing.
RGB zebras work but clip before raw.... so raw histogram is the best tool to avoid clipping.