Need equipment recommendations for recording CRT screens at weird frame rates

Started by wmd, August 22, 2023, 04:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmd

I am looking for camera and lens recommendations for a specific purpose - to record footage of a CRT screen. I will need to use Magic Lantern to specify the exact frame rate, and the different sources connected to my CRT will vary anywhere from 1/50.nnn to 1/60.nnn. I am no camera expert, but have read that mirrorless cameras are better for recording video? Eitherway, please help me select some decent kit for this specific purpose that is fully compatible with Magic Lantern.

Walter Schulz

A lot of ML supported cameras can do fps finetuning. https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26602.msg239959#msg239959
What kind of footage you want to use? Canon recording mode (up to FHD, 8 bit, 4:2:0) or higher res/higher bit depth?

wmd

Walter Schulz

This doesn't mean much. Upscaling FHD to 4k for YT is quite common.

wmd

So given the information I have provided are you able to recommend a decent setup? Just knowing what the best Magic Lantern compatible cameras are (and an appropriate lens for my purposes) would be all I need.

Walter Schulz

With the information you gave (or lack of IMO) I only can suggest to look into 5D3.
Lenses: Whatever fits your budget (which hasn't been told either) and your required FOV for a given distance (which hasn't been talked about).

Sorry, this is guesswork at its worst.

wmd

Distance will likely not be more than approx. 1m from the screen. Budget, ideally less than $1000, but would consider more if the extra price resulted in significantly better recording quality.

Walter Schulz

Without getting the whole picture (still lacking substantial information) this is still guesswork:

650D or 700D + EF 50/1.8 STM. Add a decent card like Samsung EVO Plus 256 GB (2021 edition).
Est. price: Less than 300 Euro/USD.

wmd

Thanks for the suggestions so far. What more info do you need to make a better assessment?

wmd

I bought the equipment you recommended (700D + EF 50/1.8 STM) and have installed the latest nightly build of Magic Lantern, However, I am having problems locating information which will allow me to exactly set the shutter speed in movie mode. I have enabled Exposure Override, but in the Movie options I do not see anything to set the shutter speed. I can see FPS override, but I am not able to precisely set the Desired FPS as I need to (e.g. set to 55.017) - it just jumps from 50 to 60.

Walter Schulz

I recommend to use lua_fix build instead.
Linked thread contains basic info.

wmd

Do I need to uninstall the current version of Magic Lantern or can I just install the lua_fix build over the existing one?

Walter Schulz

Delete autoexec.bin, ML-SETUP.FIR, ML directory/folder.
Copy extracted build content to card.
Done.

wmd

I have installed the lua_fix build (magiclantern-lua_fix.2020Dec28.700D115). How do I set the FPS to exactly 55.017? With "Video system" set to PAL, when I adjust the "FPS timer A" and "FPS timer B" settings it only affects the "Actual FPS" value when I increase those values (A & B), which reduces the "Actual FPS" to below 50fps. I also tried adjusting the "Image Fine-tuning" options by adjusting the "Shutter fine-tuning" but this can only be adjusted in increments of 20 microseconds. The closest I could get the shutter speed to 1/55.017 was 1/54.824 with the next nearest increment being 1/55.432.

https://i.imgur.com/I5KSSU4.jpg

wmd

Can I summarise then that Magic Lantern is in fact not a suitable solution to this problem? If it is not possible to precisely set the fps with 0.001 increments, then good results can not be obtained when recording CRT screens.

Walter Schulz

On 550D I can adjust fps in increments of 0.001
But increment depends on fps range.

I didn't had the opportunity to look into it the last days but will do so soon.