6D bricked while using external HDMI in RAW mode.

Started by smorelucas, August 07, 2023, 11:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smorelucas

Long time ML user (7+ years) and never had any problems a battery pull didn't fix until now.
Thanks to all the developers over the years for providing such a great tool I have used it so much.
Last few months I've been using overclock 240 to shoot RAW with no issues, but this is a relatively new feature.

Using magiclantern-Nightly.2020Jul16.6D116 + crop module (But I did not have the crop mode active during the error).

Clues:
A few weeks ago started getting random ERR 80 when using external HDMI monitor (Andy cine A6), was able to recover after reformatting Sandisk 64GB extreme pro 170/mb card and installing ML firmware again.

Last week got a new Sandisk 128GB extreme pro 200/mb card.

Today while live preview on, global draw off, in regular RAW mode with 240 hack, but not recording, I hooked up the HDMI monitor which worked for a few seconds then screen froze. Switched off camera, but the frozen screen stayed on. I pulled battery and rebooted and everything worked again. Then a few seconds later the screen froze again. Battery pull again, but this time it did not reboot. Totally dead with no signs of life at all.

Things I have tried after reading through the forums:
on a fully charged battery and I also have a external power adapter.
Remove memcard, lens, and battery.
Combinations of switching power on/off and holding down shutter button (I read this might do a hard reset) in both photo/vid modes and all dial modes.
Leaving battery out with switch on, leaving it for a few hours to see if it loses any risidual power.
Re-insert battery/ext power adapter with no lens or memcard = no boot, no led lights at all.
Try using two other backup memory cards with and without backup copies of ML as well as fresh installs with bootflag tool.
Try fresh formatted cards with no ML.
Check battery and memory card door switches.
Makes sure there are no debris in the contacts or ports.
Tried "Project startup-log" and different autoexec.bin but no response from camera.

Nothing I tried got any response or LED from camera at all.
Not sure what else I could try before throwing in the towel on my beloved 6D.

names_are_hard

According to Canon, Err 80 is when "An image or electric control malfunction has been detected".  The only thing you haven't yet tried from their official advice is taking it to a Canon Service Center.  Worth a try for an assessment if there's one near you.

Largely guessing, this sounds like a hardware error to me.  There are very few reports of Err 80 on magiclantern.fm previously, so I'd assume ML is unlikely to be the cause.  The pattern of "intermittent but getting more frequent" feels more like hardware than software, too.

If you know what a UART is, you might be able to get more information that way.  USB might work too, is it recognised when you plug it in?

smorelucas

Quote from: names_are_hard on August 08, 2023, 12:35:03 AM
According to Canon, Err 80 is when "An image or electric control malfunction has been detected".  The only thing you haven't yet tried from their official advice is taking it to a Canon Service Center.  Worth a try for an assessment if there's one near you.

Largely guessing, this sounds like a hardware error to me.  There are very few reports of Err 80 on magiclantern.fm previously, so I'd assume ML is unlikely to be the cause.  The pattern of "intermittent but getting more frequent" feels more like hardware than software, too.

If you know what a UART is, you might be able to get more information that way.  USB might work too, is it recognised when you plug it in?

names_are_hard, Thank you for the reply.

I suspected the fault might be related to the HDMI port, however reinstalling ML fixed the err 80 issue so I can't rule out ML either.
I'm deep in rural Mexico and have no money, so service center is unfortunately not an option.
The intermittent but getting more frequent can also be related to using the memory card overclock, since the error first started when I used that feature.

I do not know what UART is, and USB does not recognize the camera as it won't power on.

cheers

names_are_hard

Could ML have caused a problem?  Maybe, but there's not much information to go on.  ML will print its own errors to screen and log some stuff to card.  It doesn't sound like you saw anything like that?

I'd say it's more likely just a random hardware failure, the err 80 error reports I found elsewhere (unrelated to ML) were mostly board or cable failures.  But I'm not confident either way - could be anything.

Skinny

Quote from: smorelucas on August 08, 2023, 06:29:07 AM
I suspected the fault might be related to the HDMI port, however reinstalling ML fixed the err 80 issue so I can't rule out ML either.
It's not necessary related to the ML, in my experience in repairing various electronics things could be like - you have a TV and it won't turn on from the remote, the remote seems to be fine but it doesn't work, so you buy another remote and it works... but eventually you can't turn on the TV at all. And the problem was actually the PSU all the time..

Or a client say something doesn't work after the storm and lightning strike near his house, but you will find a physical crack in the PCB and bad contact, nothing to do with lightning :)

It happens a lot, something seems to be related but it is not the source of a problem..

smorelucas

Quote from: names_are_hard on August 08, 2023, 06:41:28 AM
Could ML have caused a problem?  Maybe, but there's not much information to go on.  ML will print its own errors to screen and log some stuff to card.  It doesn't sound like you saw anything like that?

I'd say it's more likely just a random hardware failure, the err 80 error reports I found elsewhere (unrelated to ML) were mostly board or cable failures.  But I'm not confident either way - could be anything.

I did not see any error log from ML on screen, however I did an emergency backup LOG ROM0.BIN and ROM1.BIN after the first Canon err 80 because ML docs said it may be helpful in case of catastrophic failure. Not sure if that might be helpful in this case as I don't know how to use or read those.

smorelucas

Quote from: Skinny on August 08, 2023, 10:49:44 AM
It's not necessary related to the ML, in my experience in repairing various electronics things could be like - you have a TV and it won't turn on from the remote, the remote seems to be fine but it doesn't work, so you buy another remote and it works... but eventually you can't turn on the TV at all. And the problem was actually the PSU all the time..

Or a client say something doesn't work after the storm and lightning strike near his house, but you will find a physical crack in the PCB and bad contact, nothing to do with lightning :)

It happens a lot, something seems to be related but it is not the source of a problem..

The only evidence that I have to say it might be ML related is that I could repeat the problem by switching ML RAW on and off. Meaning while the HDMI is plugged in, switch MLV RAW off and be in normal recording mode and err 80 goes away after a few reboots and a clean install of ML. Switch MLV RAW on and get err 80 and locked HDMI screen. Those are the conditions present during failure in all cases. Might not be related, but seems relevant to consider. Also, we have frequent lightning storms here, so you never know lol.

Walter Schulz

Will try to reproduce your issue with my 6D later. Not with my cam right now.

names_are_hard

Meaning while the HDMI is plugged in, switch MLV RAW off and be in normal recording mode and err 80 goes away after a few reboots and a clean install of ML.
Did you test whether restarting cam a few times without an ML card in also stopped err 80 occuring?

Switch MLV RAW on and get err 80 and locked HDMI screen.
Here, do you mean the very first time MLV RAW was enabled with HDMI connected, err 80 would always happen?  Or was it only sometimes?
After err 80 had "stopped", did you ever test whether restarting cam a few times without an ML card, with HDMI connected made err 80 happen again?

Walter Schulz

@smorelucas: What is cam's status at the moment?

May I suggest to switch to discord?