Canon SL1 doesn't shoot RAW

Started by RickSalami, August 03, 2023, 01:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickSalami

I'm doing hobby photography with a SL1. My 350D shoots two images, a JPG and CR2, clearly two different files with different sizes. My SL1 with L+Raw I only get 2 JPGS. exact same bytes. One comes out as IMG3315.jpg and the other IMG3315(1).jpg.

Would magic lantern offer any remedy for this and if so could I ever revert back to the original firmware ?

names_are_hard

At least part of this problem is not to do with the cam.  Canon would never name the file IMG3315(1).jpg, that name is too long.  Your OS (Windows I'd guess) is naming it that way because you copied IMG3315.jpg twice to the same location.  How are you trying to copy the files, are you using a card reader?

ML is not firmware and doesn't change the firmware you have on the cam.  I don't think it will fix this problem because I suspect there isn't a problem at all.

RickSalami

Thanks for the tip. you were right and I checked it under linux and the CR2 files are there. not sure why windows is launching some camera/scanner feature and not seeing them but it works fine this way so I'm good .. thanks.

RickSalami

I'm going to try ML anyway as I like to tinker around and notice it just goes on a SD card.

names_are_hard

Cool, glad to hear it's mostly fixed.  I'd guess you might be hiding file extensions in Explorer, combined with not having anything installed that can sensibly open CR2.  Some quick searches suggest Windows can handle older format CR2 but not newer.