[700d/T5i] How do I actually shoot in 4k?

Started by dsaiyan, July 28, 2023, 07:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsaiyan

Hi,

I apologize for the complete noob question, but I mainly stumbled onto magic lantern because I was trying to get rid of the 30 minutes recording limit.

After a while I decided to give some of the other features a try and for the life of me I can't seem to get 4k videos to work.
I installed this version of ML: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25784.0
I have the proper extreme pro 170mbs sd card. I enabled the sd overclock and all of the modules that are mentioned.

When I enable crop mode/raw video I can't seem to get the camera to actually record anything in the higher resolutions. I've tried crop mode, crop mode v2, raw video and raw mlv.
The most luck I have had so far is getting 2540x1080 video when I zoom in on the canon and then go into the ML settings.

I guess I just need someone to walk me through how they setup/record 4k footage on a T5i if possible? I see a lot of great examples of footage on youtube but I can't seem to find any examples of how to actually record in 4k with settings that actually work.

Thanks in advance!

theBilalFakhouri

Hi, the ML version you mentioned is no longer supported, try crop mood build instead (it's better in many ways),
there is an included video which show how to prepare ML settings, beside there are many tutorial video on youtube you can check too.

Let me know if you have questions about crop mood build.

dsaiyan

dsaiyan

I installed crop mood and I'm now having an issue with the video recording shutting off after a couple of seconds.

theBilalFakhouri

Follow the video, if it still happening, share your ML settings and what are doing.

dsaiyan

So I am able to consistently get 1440p footage now. Which is great. Though I am now wondering, since the memory card read speed seems to be the main cause of most issues, has anyone looked at replacing the memory card reader? The speedhack can only do so much, so I'm curious if the card reader is a part that can be replaced in the camera?

names_are_hard

Write speed is the bottleneck, not read.  Replacing the part is not likely to be practical for most people, it would require significant skill.  After replacing it, would the camera OS be able to use it?  That's an unknown, since nobody has tried to do it before.

yourboylloyd

I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to these cameras and the "crop mood" build, but to me it looks like all of the presets are in 14bit? Would it be easier on the card to run 10bit? There is practically no difference in the image quality between 14bit and 10bit.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: yourboylloyd on July 31, 2023, 07:21:30 AM
..but to me it looks like all of the presets are in 14bit? Would it be easier on the card to run 10bit?

Nah, bit-depth is an optional choice in crop mood build, you can select among 14-bit / 12-bit / 11-bit /10-bit with lossless compression.
And yes, some modes won't be continuous at 14-bit (depending on scene, SD card and OC), lower bit-depths would reduce data rate and would help to get continuous recording.

DarkTrapStudio

Quote from: yourboylloyd on July 31, 2023, 07:21:30 AM
There is practically no difference in the image quality between 14bit and 10bit.

The difference is only in the color, and it can be drastic for grading in some situations.

yourboylloyd

Quote from: DarkTrapStudio on August 01, 2023, 02:11:57 PM
The difference is only in the color, and it can be drastic for grading in some situations.

False. These cameras don't even have enough dynamic range to push anything past 10bit.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: yourboylloyd on August 03, 2023, 06:36:59 AM
False. These cameras don't even have enough dynamic range to push anything past 10bit.

You know that this statement only shows you have no idea what you are talking about?

Skinny

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=24933.0

You can clearly see the difference between different bit depths in this thread, it's already been tested many times before...

Personally I don't know about color shifts other than green shadows in this example, but this is probably because of the difference in black level, you can set it a little bit different and get red or magenta tint in the shadows

yourboylloyd

Quote from: Skinny on August 03, 2023, 07:29:53 AM

You can clearly see the difference between different bit depths in this thread, it's already been tested many times before...

Personally I don't know about color shifts other than green shadows in this example, but this is probably because of the difference in black level, you can set it a little bit different and get red or magenta tint in the shadows

Read the rest of that post. That Reddeercity made the same point that I'm making now.

names_are_hard

Quote from: yourboylloyd on August 04, 2023, 09:10:17 PM
Read the rest of that post. That Reddeercity made the same point that I'm making now.

Are you claiming that the sensors don't contain any information past the first 10 bits?  If so, this isn't true.  It's very easy to demonstrate there is meaningful information out to at least 12 bits.  This will depend on the specific sensor to some degree but lots of people have demonstrated this.  Probably some need 14 to get all the information, although tests from Alex suggested there's not much info here, i.e. it is noisier but still sometimes meaningful.

I can extract the information direct from the sensor and graph it, if that would convince you?  If so, let me know and we can do that in a separate thread, it's very off topic here.

Skinny

Quote from: yourboylloyd on August 04, 2023, 09:10:17 PM
I have to disagree with this point, there are easily some scenes that have a lot of dynamic range and you will have both the highlights and the shadows clipped, in the same frame.
In the first post you can clearly see more useful dynamic range with higher bit depths, it doesn't matter if the window was or wasn't over exposed, it could be if the sun was bright enough..

If you can fit everything in 10 bit range then it will be enough, if you are in the very controlled environment (in the studio) you can even make 8 bit h.264 look great.

But there are plenty of scenes where you need as much DR as possible. Bright sunny day, sunsets, light sources in the frame like a table lamp, etc..

yourboylloyd