Question about Crop Mood on the EOS 100D

Started by MagicAndy, July 25, 2023, 09:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicAndy

Hi everyone ! As requested by @theBilalFakhouri, I have created this new topic to share my personal experience about using Crop Mood on my EOS 100D.

When I record a video with crop mood, the first time, when the card is empty, I can record up to a little more than 1 minute of footage (about 3.8 GB). After that, It stops recording automatically after a couple of seconds everytime. What could be the issue?
Here are the settings I use :
- Modules : crop_rec, dual_iso, mlv_lite, mlv_play, mlv_snd, sd_uhs
- Crop mood : 4.4K 1X3 2:1 12-bit 23.976 FPS
The microSD card I use is the Samsung PRO + (Plus) 64 GB

Thanks in advance and happy filming !

theBilalFakhouri

Hey again!

Which preset do you use for SD Overclock?

I suspect the case your are having could be either your SD card is slower than required write speed for RAW video (in your current settings) and when the buffer is full, recording stops automatically,
or it might be that the SD card drop to 21 MB/s speed (48 MHz, a safe mode) due to instability with SD Overclocking.

I suggest to do this test:

-Load bench.mo from Modules tab, restart camera
-Record a video with same settings you mentioned until it stop automatically
-Switch camera to photo mode (no LiveView), go to Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card benchmarks -> Quick R/W benchmark (1 min)
-Share the result

MagicAndy

Thanks again for the quick reply theBilalFakhouri!

I am using SD Overclock at 240 MHz (H) with Access Mode set to SDR 104

And here are the results I get after the benchmark :
- Write speed (buffer : 16384k) : 91.2 MB/s
- Read speed (buffer : 16384k) : 84.4 MB/s
- Write speed (buffer : 16384k) : 91.6 MB/s
- Read speed (buffer : 16384k) : 84.4 MB/s

Danne

Try also format to exfat. There's a little overhead when the file is cut at fat32 4gb limit.
A way to test a preset for stability is to nail this 4 gb cut.

theBilalFakhouri

Thanks for running the benchmarks, did you run the benchmark after recording a clip and after it stopped automatically?

MagicAndy

Hi Danne, thanks for your suggestion !

Quote from: Danne on July 25, 2023, 10:12:11 PM
Try also format to exfat. There's a little overhead when the file is cut at fat32 4gb limit.
A way to test a preset for stability is to nail this 4 gb cut.

I formated the card to exFAT on my computer and the same thing happens, it stops recording after a little more than a minute.

MagicAndy

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 25, 2023, 10:24:25 PM
Thanks for running the benchmarks, did you run the benchmark after recording a clip and after it stopped automatically?

You're welcome!

Yes, I run the benchmark right after the video stopped recording automatically.

theBilalFakhouri

Cool, then it seems SD Overclocking is stable, and it's more likely your current settings requires higher write speed more than the SD card can handle.

-You can improve write speed performance when recording RAW video if you set "Small hacks" to "More" from RAW video submenu (Advanced tab), Example.
-Also, Kill Global Draw option can increase write speed performance, you can set it on under RAW video submenu.

-If these two options weren't enough, you can lower the required data by selecting a lower bit-depth like 11-bit and 10-bit.

These should help you to get continuous RAW recording, especially in high res.

MagicAndy

Sorry Bilal, I forgot to mention that I already had "Small hacks" set to "More" and I "Kill Global Draw" to active as well.

I just did more testing with lower resolution (4K) and lower bit depth as well (10-bit) and the same thing happens more or less. The video stops recording after 1m20s and I can't record more than 4 seconds clips after that. The thing is, if I format the card, then I can record for longer again (more or less a minute). Does that mean that the fault could be coming from my card?

Thank you

theBilalFakhouri

Could you share your ML settings? e.g. the ones from Modified tab, let me check it, you can upload pictures using https://imgbb.com/
Or just record a video using a smart phone then upload it YT, let me see RAW video and crop mood settings.

Which build exactly are you using?

MagicAndy

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 25, 2023, 11:29:19 PM
Could you share your ML settings?

Sure, here are the pictures of the crop mood and raw settings I use :
https://i.ibb.co/QjrFFws/20230726-061034.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/yXLxHKb/20230726-061053.jpg

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 25, 2023, 11:29:19 PM
Which build exactly are you using?

I am using the latest build you have uploaded, crop_mood.2023Jul13.100D101

Danne

Shouldn't dataformat stay 14bit lossless?

MagicAndy

Quote from: Danne on July 26, 2023, 07:36:21 AM
Shouldn't dataformat stay 14bit lossless?

When I change the Bit-depth to 10 bit from the crop mood menu, It changes what is written on the RAW menu automatically to 10-bit lossless. But when I enter it like I'm going to change something, It is still 14-bit lossless.

theBilalFakhouri

With crop mood build and when a crop mood preset is selected, you just need to select any lossless option from RAW video submenu, then select the bit-depth from crop mood submenu.
I have a plan to separate compression and bit-depth to two options instead of "Format" option under RAW video submenu, to something like:

Compression: Uncompressed / Lossless
Bit-depth:      14 / 12 / 10

Beside more bit-depth options which be available when lossess is selected: like 11-bit and Auto 11-bit to 8-bit depending on ISO.
Also will get rid of bit-depth option from crop mood submenu

theBilalFakhouri

@MagicAndy

Thanks for sharing the settings, seems fine.

Quote from: MagicAndy on July 25, 2023, 11:00:52 PM
The video stops recording after 1m20s and I can't record more than 4 seconds clips after that.

This tells me that SD Overclocking isn't stable, and safe mode get triggered (48 MHz / speed dropped to 21 MB/s).
To make sure, I implemented a simple method to check if safe mode get triggered (commit):

Safe-mode-chech" border="0

Try this sd_uhs.mo version: sd_uhs_safe_mode_check.zip, extract sd_uhs.mo and put it in ML/modules folder in SD card (replace the old sd_uhs.mo with the provided one).
Then try recording, wait until it stops automatically, try recording again until you get the ~4 secnods limit --> then check SD Overlock menu, did it print "Safe mode was triggered"?

MagicAndy

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 26, 2023, 12:59:40 PM
With crop mood build and when a crop mood preset is selected, you just need to select any lossless option from RAW video submenu, then select the bit-depth from crop mood submenu.
I have a plan to separate compression and bit-depth to two options instead of "Format" option under RAW video submenu, to something like:

Compression: Uncompressed / Lossless
Bit-depth:      14 / 12 / 10

Beside more bit-depth options which be available when lossess is selected: like 11-bit and Auto 11-bit to 8-bit depending on ISO.
Also will get rid of bit-depth option from crop mood submenu

@theBilalFakhouri
Very clear, thanks for the explanation !

MagicAndy

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 26, 2023, 01:11:37 PM
Try this sd_uhs.mo version: sd_uhs_safe_mode_check.zip, extract sd_uhs.mo and put it in ML/modules folder in SD card (replace the old sd_uhs.mo with the provided one).
Then try recording, wait until it stops automatically, try recording again until you get the ~4 secnods limit --> then check SD Overlock menu, did it print "Safe mode was triggered"?

Alright, I will install this module once I get back home and can access the camera. Then I'll get back to you.

MagicAndy

@theBilalFakhouri

Sorry for the wait!

So, I have replaced the sd_uhs with the one you provided. Did the recording, it stopped after 1min, tried recording again, stopped after 1 second of recording. Checked the SD Overclock menu and it doesn't say anything special.

Here is a picture of what is shown on screen :
https://ibb.co/7bYtDdM

theBilalFakhouri

Okay, thanks, this is weird, SD overlocking seems stable here . . and your SD card should handle continuous recording with your mentioned settings.
I am not sure exactly why this is happening to you, more things to try:

1- Perform a low level format from Canon menu, try recording, same issue?

2- Set 1080p24 from Canon menu, turn on RAW video, turn off crop mood, set 14-bit uncompressed from RAW video submenu, set aspect ratio to 4:3 (should give 1736x1160 resolution), turn on Kill Global Draw, set Small hacks to More, highlight RAW video from Movie tab, required write speed should be ~80.5 MB/s

80-5-MB" border="0

Start recording and try to fill the SD card, what's write speed which is reported by RAW video? like this:

RAW-video-reported-write-speed" border="0

Could you record a video with your smartphone showing the camera while recording in this case?
If camera recording stopped automaticlly, hit recording button again (repeat this two or three times), and let me see the reported write speed in in each recording attempt.

3- Try moving large files to SD card in PC with fast SD card reader (until you fill the SD card), does write speed drop after some time?

Currently I am suspecting a faulty SD card, but not quite sure. I am awaiting the results from you.

MagicAndy

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 27, 2023, 02:21:40 PM
1- Perform a low level format from Canon menu, try recording, same issue?

Performed a low level format from the Canon menu, tried recording, and the same issue happened.

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 27, 2023, 02:21:40 PM
2- Set 1080p24 from Canon menu, turn on RAW video, turn off crop mood, set 14-bit uncompressed from RAW video submenu, set aspect ratio to 4:3 (should give 1736x1160 resolution), turn on Kill Global Draw, set Small hacks to More, highlight RAW video from Movie tab, required write speed should be ~80.5 MB/s
- Start recording and try to fill the SD card, what's write speed which is reported by RAW video?
- If camera recording stopped automaticlly, hit recording button again (repeat this two or three times), and let me see the reported write speed in in each recording attempt.

- 1st attemot : 82.5MB/s, recorded for 2 minutes 40 seconds then stops automatically.
- 2nd attempt : 69.2MB/s, then drops down to 46MB/s then stops after 2 seconds of recording the stops automatically.
- 3rd test 78MB/s, then drops down to 36MB/s then back up a little to 42MB/s then stops after 3 seconds of recording then stops recording automatically.

theBilalFakhouri

Thanks for running the tests, I am still awaiting test 3.