5Dmkiii turns off after a while

Started by USlatin, July 19, 2023, 09:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USlatin

I already set "Auto Power Off" to "Disable" in the regular Canon menu.

Is there a setting I need to change in ML as well?

Thanks!

names_are_hard

Walter Schulz

And in which way? Just stopping recording/streaming? Overheating message?

General help in FAQ: https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#how_do_i_record_stream_for_more_than_30_minutes

USlatin

I am trying to use the HDMI out for longform podcasts with an ATEM mini

The signal stops and the feed from it goes black

I already went to the refual Canon menu and disabled the power saving setting whatever that's called. I tried looking through the ML menu but I couldn't find any settings I could change

Walter Schulz

USlatin

Perfect! Thank you so much. I knew it was somewhere right under my nose.

Can that experimental build be trusted in terms of stability? I am looking at 4h continous recprding if that matters

I am very new so don't really know much about ML stability, only heard all kinds of stuff from people that don't seem to be part of the ML forum community

names_are_hard

4 hour single continuous takes?  It's an uncommon use case, you'll have to try it and see.

Walter Schulz

It's just HDMI streaming. Will do fine. Not sure about power supply.

USlatin

4hs worst case senario. I want to be ready for that as safety

I got a dummy battery and an AC power supply, so as long as the camera doesn't overheat I guess I should be ok - that is if the experimental build is stable

does anyone know if the 5D Mk III has an overheat protection feature?

Walter Schulz

USlatin

That is great to hear about the overheat protection

So Ii installed that experimental build and ran a test and was so crushed when the camera turned off after 1:44:37 but then I realized I had a battery in the camera lol  :D

I will retest again tomorrow

USlatin

Just to update, I tested the 5DMkIII with the Lua build from the FAQ and got past the 4h mark without issues. Clean feed to the ATEM. I used a heat gun to measure the temp for the camera which read around 110F (43C) in some spots, which should be well within safe range. It makes sense that the biggest heat causing culprit would be the compression down to H.264, so with an HDMI feed the camera should be rock solid in normal air conditioned environments.

Thank you everyone for your help!