Platja de Cavalleria, Menorca

Started by vastunghia, July 10, 2023, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vastunghia

An experiment I finally found the time to carry on: use my APS-C Samyang 16mm f/2.0 full-manual lens on my 5D3, wide open, with my favorite preset by Danne -- 3.5k 1:1 centered, 14 bit (1.6x crop).

Just an unordered sequence of clips.

Mixed results here -- some clips show the left 1/3 of the frame as out of focus / blurred. Weird. Something wrong going on with the lens? Or with the ND filters maybe? Will have to experiment more.

Thanks for wathching
5D3 for video
70D for photo

ML700D

EOS 700D

a.sintes

the colors on some sequence are dope!
makes me want to be on vacation already...
It's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?

vastunghia

Thank you guys!

Yes, I instantly fell in love with the color contrast between reddish rocks and all the different nuances of green and blue of the sea. I swear I did not boost colors in post! Did my best to reflect my memory.
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Skinny

I also see some vignetting on some shots on the left side, maybe sometimes your preset wasn't centered? Like some bug in settings..

vastunghia

Yeah, thanks, I considered the possibility of a preset not correctly centered.

However using an APS-C lens full open @f/2.0, and with a 1.6x crop preset, I guess that vignetting should come up to be huge (literally a black corner) in that case. Instead, vignetting was heavy (partially compensated in post), but in line with expectations (given the configuration and the use of two stacked medium-quality ND filters).

Also, I thought that using the 3.5K 1:1 centered preset, the frame cannot be moved. But I'm not sure. Will take a look.
5D3 for video
70D for photo