Canon Rebel SL1

Started by Wannabe, July 02, 2023, 08:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wannabe

So, I got myself a Canon Rebel SL1 / 100D because I read on the forum that it is one of the few models that can run Crop Mood.
Only after I made the purchase, I learned that Rebel SL1 does not support 240 MHz SD cad overclocking and that its focus pixels cannot be removed from the videos.
So I basically bought a useless camera, LOL.  :D
Is there any chance that these issues may be fixed in the future?
Are there any other known problems that I should expect from the Rebel SL1, other than the mentioned above?
Thanks!

Walter Schulz

Sorry, but what are you talking about?
240 MHz should work on 100D, too.

Wannabe

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 02, 2023, 08:52:49 PM
240 MHz should work on 100D, too.
I read somewhere on the forum that 240 MHz either doesn't work on 100D or is very buggy and unstable. Maybe it has been fixed now?

The focus pixels still cannot be removed, though. Pretty sure about it. So basically I can't use this camera for nothing.
Is there any way to create focus pixel maps for 100D by myself? I am willing to take the time, but I have no clue how it is done.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Wannabe on July 04, 2023, 02:39:44 AM
I read somewhere on the forum that 240 MHz either doesn't work on 100D or is very buggy and unstable. Maybe it has been fixed now?

Without actual link to whatever you read it is impossible to tell what you are refering to.

Quote from: Wannabe on July 04, 2023, 02:39:44 AM
The focus pixels still cannot be removed, though. Pretty sure about it. So basically I can't use this camera for nothing.
Is there any way to create focus pixel maps for 100D by myself? I am willing to take the time, but I have no clue how it is done.

MLVapp and chroma smoothing, I guess.

Danne

Did you provide a mlv sample? Could be easy copying an existing pixelmap for your specific case. You need to learn how to use mlv_dump to get frame buffer numbers than you can search for a close match in Mlv App then copy that map rename it so it fits your specific resolution.

Wannabe

Quote from: Danne on July 04, 2023, 09:47:48 AM
Did you provide a mlv sample? Could be easy copying an existing pixelmap for your specific case. You need to learn how to use mlv_dump to get frame buffer numbers than you can search for a close match in Mlv App then copy that map rename it so it fits your specific resolution.
I will try to learn all the necessary stuff and create a map, eventually... Still trying to process most of the info. The learning curve is kinda steep.
By the way, does chroma smoothing make the quality of the whole picture blurry? Or is it perfectly OK to use it in order to get rid of the focus pixels? I want to shoot in 5.2K and in 4.8K.

Danne

Provide a mlv sample. I' could check in five minutes.

Wannabe

OK, so here is the deal.
I installed the latest Canon Firmware for SL1 / 100D = 1.0.1
I then installed Crop Mood and set the SD card overclocking to 240 MHz.

I get about one second of record time before the camera crashes.
All recorded MLV files have an exact size of 59,7 MB.

Here is the crash log:

QuoteASSERT: !IS_ERROR(semErr)
at ./EekoApp/Color/WB/LV/LvWbAlgorWrap.c:522, CLR_CALC:ff420810
lv:1 mode:3

CLR_CALC stack: 1c8e80 [1c90d8-1c50d8]
0xUNKNOWN  @ d090:1c90d0
0xUNKNOWN  @ 3a758:1c90a8
0x0003A450 @ ff0f9e6c:1c9090
0xUNKNOWN  @ 3a480:1c9080
0xUNKNOWN  @ 3a508:1c9060
0xFF4202C4 @ ff25ab60:1c8f60
0x00001900 @ ff42080c:1c8eb8
0x0044C478 @ 44c57c:1c8e80

Magic Lantern version : crop_mood.2023May09.100D101
Mercurial changeset   : NO HG
Built on 2023-05-09 20:40:40 UTC by bilal@DESKTOP-27BNL6E.
Free Memory  : 569K + 2278K

I am using a Sandisk Extreme Pro Micro SD card. However, it is small - only 64 GB.
Could the small SD card volume be the reason why my Rebel SL1 is not working properly with Crop Mood?

Also, the focus pixels are pretty bad.
How do I post a MLV sample?

Danne

Link from a storage provider.

Wannabe

Here are two MLV samples.
As you can see, the two files are the exact same size - the camera crashes at exactly the same spot during recording. It also overheats after a mere second of work.
Is it my SD card that is causing this?

You can see the focus pixels in the dark sample. They are mostly red in color and very, very bad.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BGdd1dEsQigT4cM-SW3DPdl_CME88LYD/view?usp=drive_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XJ4GVU2AF1rfGoVwCIh1mQQQwGVw1Fzb/view?usp=drive_link

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Wannabe on July 06, 2023, 12:38:35 PM
It also overheats after a mere second of work.

That is impossible. Please explain why you jumped to this conclusion.

Please post benchmark results from cam.

Maximum data bandwidth for recording: Est. 80 MByte/s. 64 GB = 64.000.000.000 = 61,035 MiByte -> 61,035 MiByte / 80 MiByte/s = 762 seconds = 12 minutes 42 seconds before space is used up i n highest data rate. ML itself occupies about 2 MByte + less than 100 MByte for ROM copies. Marginal difference.

Wannabe

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 06, 2023, 12:45:28 PM
That is impossible. Please explain why you jumped to this conclusion.

Because it felt very hot to the touch?
There was also an yellow indicator which I believe showed the temperature of the CPU. It was reading 60 degrees Celsius after 5 crash-interrupted clips, each of which was about 1 second in length.

Why does my camera crash when I use Crop Mood? I suspect it is the SD card. I probably need a larger card.

How do I run a benchmark test on this camera?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Wannabe on July 06, 2023, 12:56:44 PM
Because it felt very hot to the touch?

If cam is overheating it will turn off on its own.
And it doesn't feel hot after a mere 1 second, right.

There was also an yellow indicator which I believe showed the temperature of the CPU. It was reading 60 degrees Celsius after 5 crash-interrupted clips, each of which was about 1 second in length.
If you can read it it is not overheating because an overheated cam will turn off. And "some 1 second intervals" is not the same as "it overheats in a mere second". Cam will consume energy without recording, too. To a lesser extend.

Why does my camera crash when I use Crop Mood? I suspect it is the SD card. I probably need a larger card.

Please don't jump to conclusions.

How do I run a benchmark test on this camera?

Module tab -> Activate bench.mo (and deactivate all other modules but sd_uhs.mo).
Restart cam in photo mode
Access Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card benchmarks -> Quick R/W benchmark (1 min)
and run it.

Wannabe

Alright, let me try to run a benchmark test.
Does the benchmark module also save a LOG file that I can post here?
Or do I have to have my other camera ready in order to take a shot of the results?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Wannabe on July 06, 2023, 01:34:02 PM
Does the benchmark module also save a LOG file that I can post here?

Card root -> BENCH0.PPM (increasing numbers for 2nd and consecutive runs). Convert to JPEG or PNG.

Wannabe

Alright, so the camera crashed again in the middle of the benchmark test.
But it still managed to save a LOG file before the crash:

I'm not an expert, but the results aren't looking too promising to me, LOL  :D
I need around 90 MB/sec write speed and I'm only getting 63.8 MB/sec.
Is it time for a new SD card?

Walter Schulz

You didn't start in photo mode, I think.

This is what happens: Card is incompatible with selected overclocking configuration and fell back to default mode around 20 MByte/s.
Now access overclocking submenu and select Access mode SDR50 instead of SDR104. Restart camera and do another benchmark run.

Wannabe

Alright, let me try this.

Wannabe

Oh, wow...
Huge difference!

I will now try to videotape something and see if the camera will crash again.

Wannabe

Yes, it crashed again a few times and it was refusing to focus via half shutter button press, but I managed to videotape a longer clip this time around.
The camera did not heat up and was much cooler to the touch.

Walter Schulz

Crashed or just stopped recording on its own?
Did you get logs?
Modules loaded and recording settings, please!

Wannabe

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 06, 2023, 02:37:08 PM
Crashed or just stopped recording on its own?
Did you get logs?
Modules loaded and recording settings, please!

There was a crash error screen with a red X sign in it. I tried to take a picture of it, but the screen disappeared too quickly.
Will see if there are any logs recorded when I get back home.

Wannabe

Here are all the log's:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FFeW2JpNlB51MQ0-NI1n5udrl2cGzFw0/view?usp=drive_link

Sometimes it just stops recording after one second.
Sometimes the camera shuts down during recording.
Sometimes it shows a red X crash screen and asks for battery extraction.

Danne

Here´s a pixel map file for your provided test files:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/mlv_app_compiler-git/downloads/80000346_1808x2242.fpm

Put it in Mlv App and it will remove your dots.
80000346 being the 100D camera identity number
1808x2242 being width and height

You´ll find width and height with command:
mlv_dump -v input.mlv

In this particular case I took close matching width height in this map file:
80000326_1808x2244.fpm
Then simply renamed it to:
80000346_1808x2242.fpm

EDIT:
Here is one for the other file as well:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/mlv_app_compiler-git/downloads/80000346_1672x2428.fpm

Wannabe

Quote from: Danne on July 07, 2023, 12:15:12 AM
Here´s a pixel map file for your provided test files:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/mlv_app_compiler-git/downloads/80000346_1808x2242.fpm

Put it in Mlv App and it will remove your dots.
80000346 being the 100D camera identity number
1808x2242 being width and height

You´ll find width and height with command:
mlv_dump -v input.mlv

In this particular case I took close matching width height in this map file:
80000326_1808x2244.fpm
Then simply renamed it to:
80000346_1808x2242.fpm

EDIT:
Here is one for the other file as well:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/mlv_app_compiler-git/downloads/80000346_1672x2428.fpm
Sir, this is absolutely wonderful! It worked like a charm and removed all the dots.
Much better than blurrying the whole picture via Chroma Smoothing.
Thanks to you we now have focus pixel maps for SL1 / 100D!

One thing I noticed was that my crash-interrupted video samples turned out kinda small. I was shooting in 5.2K and in 4.8K, but MLV App reported much smaller sizes than the ones I was shooting in.
Also the frame rate was 23.303 fps, instead of 23.976 fps.
Is this normal?

bobolee

QuoteSo I basically bought a useless camera, LOL.  :D
My eos m can reach 61℃ when recording raw video in hot days,the sd card is even hotter,lol
The camera body is so hot,You wouldn't  want hold the camera for long.
Maybe the 700d is cooler?
EOSM,ex pro 95MB/s,NP-F970 for power,feiyu scorp pro+manual focus kit

Wannabe

Quote from: bobolee on July 07, 2023, 10:46:40 AM
My eos m can reach 61℃ when recording raw video in hot days,the sd card is even hotter,lol
The camera body is so hot,You wouldn't  want hold the camera for long.
Maybe the 700d is cooler?
Maybe 61℃ is normal, I just thought that it felt too hot to the touch, especially only after a few seconds of work.
I am no longer worried about the overheating problem. I think it got fixed when I switched the Access mode to SDR50, as advised by Walter Schulz.

My biggest problem now is making Crop Mood work on this camera.
It crashes all the time.