SD cards!

Started by Jakob_Lundberg, June 30, 2023, 02:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakob_Lundberg

Just downloaded the crop mood on my EOS M, and got everything set up. But it won´t let me record! I´m Guessing it´s because my SD card is too slow but thought i´d check here before buying a new one. The card i have is a PNY Elite- x 64GB 100MB/S. I was trying the 2.5k 1:1 crop, and would also love to have the ability to shoot other modes too. Is the card the reason why i can´t record?

Also if i switch over to another SD card i´ll have to download the ML crop mood to that card too right?

Thanks in advance!

ML700D

do you load sd_uhs.mo and applied sd overclock?
EOS 700D

Walter Schulz

Modules tab -> activate Bench.mo and restart cam in photo mode.
Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card benchmarks -> Quick R/W benchmark (1 min).
Start benchmark and press Play button after start.

Share results. Benchmark will write BENCHx.PPM to card root which can be converted to JPEG/PNG/...

Primer:
Both writes in 38-43 MByte/s area: Overclocking not active
Both writes above 90 MByte/s for 240 MHz oc frequency: Fine card
Any result going around 20 MByte/s: Card not compatible with current oc settings. Try different access mode (found in oc sub menu) and/or lower oc frequencies.

EDIT: Found some benchmark numbers for this card type and it seems write rate without overclocking maxes out at around 75 MByte/s. In case you are wondering: It is common practice for manufacturers to label cards with numbers for read access only.
Generally speaking: We found cards with at least W90 are required to run with 240 MHz oc (which is the highest mode ATM).
Disclaimer: Manufacturers may change card internals frequently. It is unknown if the card you own and the card benchmarked for W75 are of the same type/generation.

Jakob_Lundberg

Thanks! It seems like it´s writing 27.7MB/s and reading 64.1MB/s. So it´s maybe not compatible in that case right? Still won´t record when i press the rec button or the shutterbutten on top.

Don´t know too much about all these settings and numbers yet so sorry about that, simple anwsers are appreciated!:) If anyone has any SD cards they can recommend that they know work well with the RAW settings 2.5k, & 2.8k, without having problems where the camera stops recording by itself, and generally will let me record please let me know!

Thanks again!
- Jakob

Walter Schulz

Numbers are far outside card specs. Looks like fraud. Numbers resemble SanDisk Ultra.
Do you own a decent cardreader? You should use PC and tools like CrystalDiskMark or Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.

EDIT: Please share screenshot if cam's benchmark results. I doubt you are in mode PLAY-UNK

bobolee

Seach the forum first ,you will find a lot of discussion about compatible sd cards.Buy SanDisk extreme pro,generally,they are compatible,but expensive.I bought a really cheap kingston card recently,it only compatible with the overclocking module by the settings of 160mhz.You can use most of the crop mood presets using this kingston ,but not as satisfied with SanDisk.But you know how cheap is this?256GB card only 117CNY or 16USD !

EOSM,ex pro 95MB/s,NP-F970 for power,feiyu scorp pro+manual focus kit

Walter Schulz

You will find "Kingston Canvas Go!" listed as incompatible in Bilal's writeup https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25841.0

Jakob_Lundberg

Can´t find any PLAY-UNK mode where in the menu is it and what does it do?

I will try buying a different card today, found this which they have in mye City (can´t buy online since i leave in a few days). It says it should read up to 180MB/s and reads at 90MB/s.

Please give me feedback if anybody knows if this will work fine with the 240 mhz modes and 2.5k & 2.8k.

Again sorry i´m a bit lost in all theese settings but i really just wan´t to fix this before leaving since this was the reason for buying the camera and going for ML. Just need to know if any of theese two cards are compatible:)

https://www.scandinavianphoto.no/sandisk/sdxc-extreme-128gb-180mbs-uhs-i-u3-v29-1056849

https://djioslo.no/produkt/enterprise/sandisk-microsdxc-extreme-256gb-pro-m-adapter/

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Jakob_Lundberg on July 01, 2023, 10:08:17 AM
Can´t find any PLAY-UNK mode where in the menu is it and what does it do?

It is not a menu setting but a mode you get by starting cam in photo mode and pressing Play after starting benchmark.
See

SanDisk Extreme Pro R170/W90 will work.

I think it is not a good idea to learn/rely on an unknown workflow in short time ...

bobolee

I have the same SanDisk mico sd card in use,change the access mode on overclocking module to sdr 50 with this card,it is perfect!
EOSM,ex pro 95MB/s,NP-F970 for power,feiyu scorp pro+manual focus kit