Is there any really noticeable difference between shooting in 10bit vs 14bit?

Started by Wannabe, June 18, 2023, 02:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wannabe

Is the difference between 10bit and 14bit color really that important? Is it really noticeable to the naked eye? Does 10bit cause banding issues, etc?
From what I have read, 10bit should be enough for decent color correction in post. So why do people like to overload their EOS-M's by using 14bit color?
Wouldn't it best to take off some load from the camera and always shoot in 10 bit?
Just a lame newbie question.
Thanks!

DarkTrapStudio

DarkTrapStudio

Longer answer :
The only answer is : It depend, if you do a rallye you will need 300hp or more, if you go on familly trip probably not.

If you can't answer this question that means you lack understanding fundamentals like colors depth, post processing, codecs, intermediate and output color format etc and if someone will give simple answer telling you Its not necessary at all thats pure ignorance, again, Nasa may need 0,000001 precision but your Fridge probably not.

Wannabe

Sorry, my question wasn't worded correctly. I wasn't really asking if 14 bit was better than 10 bit.
I realize that different scenarios call for different approaches. Hollywood movie makers will probably always shoot in 14 bit, no matter what.
But I am not one of those.
Everybody's case is different, just like NASA and my fridge have different purposes in life. I get that.

Let me re-word my question: since Magic Lantern is unreliable and since it causes pink frames, crashes, interrupted recordings, black screens, overheating and all sorts of other problems, wouldn't it be wise to have some mercy on your camera's already severely overloaded hardware and make a compromise with color depth by shooting in 10 bit or in 12 bit, instead of 14 bit?
I remember seeing a video by some Magic Lantern guru who advocated always shooting in 10 bit in order to avoid problems. If I remember correctly, he used DaVinci Resolve to color grade and to stabilize and his videos looked more than passable to me.

bobolee

Short answer: use 14bit lossless in crop mood firmware .
Why?1 Somebody already tested,14bit images looks better in shadow/noise area.2 Only small difference in terms of recording file size/bitrate.3No load difference on CPU usage.4No pink/corrupted frame for crop mood firmware no matter what.
If you chose the right recording cards,EOS M with crop mood firmware works just as stable and reliable as a normal pro-consumer video camera,chose any bits you like.
EOSM,ex pro 95MB/s,NP-F970 for power,feiyu scorp pro+manual focus kit

Volumetrik

bobolee

I would like to apologize for my previous viewpoint .
I should not say 14bit is better.In my test,using crop mood build,14 bit lossless has significant more burden on the camera and the sd card than 10 bit lossless.In some presets ,with higher resolution -fps,the recording will show yellow or red bar,even a recording stop with 14 bit,but 10 bit will have most of the time,green icon,which is good.
EOSM,ex pro 95MB/s,NP-F970 for power,feiyu scorp pro+manual focus kit