Will this micro SD card work with Crop Mood?

Started by Wannabe, June 18, 2023, 06:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wannabe

It is a SanDisk Extreme PRO, microSDXC card that you put in a larger adapter before inserting it in the camera.
I am not sure if it will work at all, as it is a micro SD card and not a standard size SD card. It reads 170 MB/s and writes 90 MB/s.

I heard that people overclock their SD cards, whatever that means in terms of SD cards...

So, will this micro SD card work with Crop Mood?
Can it be "overclocked", etc.
Thanks!

Walter Schulz

Looks like this one in microSD: https://documents.westerndigital.com/content/dam/doc-library/en_us/assets/public/sandisk/product/memory-cards/extreme-pro-uhs-i-sd/data-sheet-extreme-pro-uhs-i-sd.pdf

I tested the 128 GB variety and WD states there is no different controller (well, they don't say it is different). It should work, then.

Please read first post in this thread. There are some cheaper cards available known to be good. 64 GB will give you around 13 minutes with highest transfer speed. Upper limit is around 80 MByte/s.

Wannabe

Thanks for your reply, Walter.
I will be getting an EOS M soon and hopefully I will not have to buy a new SD card, because those tend to be really, really expensive.

I know that 64 GB is not much.
Will be using the Crop Mood at 10 bit/sec, in order to save some space on the card.
I will be more than happy if I can squeeze 20 mins in total.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Wannabe on June 18, 2023, 01:55:23 PM
I will be getting an EOS M soon and hopefully I will not have to buy a new SD card, because those tend to be really, really expensive.

256/512 GB Samsung 16/30 Euro (without shipping).

Wannabe

Wow, 512 Gigs for only 30 Euros?
That's beyond awesome.
Time for me to check out some Samsungs.

bobolee

Samsung micro sd card won't work with overclocking on EOS M, it will give you 20MB/S recording limitation.
Sandisk 256g extreme ultra micro sd card works perfectly,but you have to set the overclocking mode to sdr50
I did extensive test to make this statem
EOSM,ex pro 95MB/s,NP-F970 for power,feiyu scorp pro+manual focus kit

names_are_hard

There are many different Samsung cards.  I'm sure some work fine overclocked on EOS M.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: bobolee on June 19, 2023, 11:35:29 AM
Samsung micro sd card won't work with overclocking on EOS M, it will give you 20MB/S recording limitation.

Wrong.
I tested Samsung cards and they all do well above 90 MByte/s for write at 240 MHz. You most likely used older ones. New ones (2021 gen) have the designation like MB-MC128K. Older generations like MB-MC128G will indeed not work.
Samsung PRO Plus
Samsung EVO Plus
Samsung EVO Select

EDIT: Oh, and they have to be labeled V30. Some Samsungs with small capacity come with different controllers doing only V10. They won't do well either.

bobolee

Walter Schulz

Retested with Samsung PRO Plus 256 GB, full size. MB-SD256K. Same card type as yours. Different size, different form factor. Should not matter for ML.

First test with 650D:
Build: Crop Mood, 9th of May
OC: 240 MHz. default access mode SDR 104
Benchmark: 93.x MByte/s for write PLAY-UNK

Set up according to Bilal's video but no Dual-ISO loaded. (Issue with ISOless error)
1280p preset  , 14 bit (uncompressed), 23.976 fps

Recording time 6 minutes (stopped manually). File size 30,058 MByte
Calculated bandwidth = 83.5 MByte/s

Second test with EOS M:
Same as above. File size slighty different (< 15 MByte)

bobolee

About the Samsung card,I refer to this post:https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12630.150
QuoteI've seen two posts in the past that people are talking about the "pro plus"compatibility issues,One post showed the same speed drop issue,a developer tried to fixed in sd uhs.mo,the user test the new modual,reported to be fix,but not in my case. The other post said this card (maybe he's talking about the sd version of pro plus) is good at benchmarking but very bad for long recording,that I think he's talking about the same issue as mine here.
I bought this card from the official Samsung store on taobao.com,so I didn't even think about the fakes or other quality issue of the card,so I don't even tested it on computer.I don't know there's anything I can mess with it and get it to work,so I just give up and return it to the store,they have "7 days  return with no reason policy".I'm gonna just buy the sandisk extreme pro 170MB/s 256GB which is a little bit expensive than the 512GB pro plus, but I don't want go into trouble again. :'(256GB is able to store over a hour of 1080p raw video,so it is enough for me but not "do whatever I want" capacity.

Then ,I bought the sandisk extreme pro mico sd 256,I put this post to report:https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12630.175
Quoteyou can see ,I recorded a 48 minutes raw video,the file size is 133GB,that can say a lot about the stability of the card pairing with the current "crop moon "build.
After this post,I use the camera with confidence in real shootings,but it still gave me "stop recording"randomly.I was like :I recorded a 133GB long take with no issue,how can it be any other stability problem ?! Then after a few more hours of shootings and crashes,I changed the overclocking settings to sdr50,tested in 30+ Celsius degree of temperatures ,relative humidity about 70%,shooting different changing ,sharp ,bright ,complicated scenes;3x3 1080p 30fps 16:9,global draw turned off.It just won't give me a single crash! I notice when I was testing the camera under the sun,the camera showed the internal temperature reaching 60℃ ! After 20 minutes of continuous recording,I took the card out immediately,The card is so hot in my hand that I began to worried about being burned!The camera and the card still able to handle!

Rcently ,I have a kingston sd card on my radar,Only 350YUAN or 49USD,512GB,140GB/S read speed.If someone is using it ,pls share the experience with us.

Walter Schulz

What is your issue? In the first part you are referring to a thread long dead and long dead before Bilal debugged sd_uhs woes. Those were the times of "gold standard" Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s mostly (+ upcoming R170/W90). A thing of the past.
You are quoting yourself and no link to the posts where issues were told. But again: This is outdated.

You are asking about Kingston but give no proper description. We have Kingston cards known to work and we have those not working. If you give proper descriptions someone will possibly be able to tell you if you are picking a good one or a known dud.
I think "140 GB/s read speed" (which is irrelevant for ML) is a typo.

bobolee

I was sharing my experience with different SD cards here.I quote my previous post so that people reading this post can have a full view of my experience.I want to collect some useful information about a certain brand of card ,didn't even ask anybody anything,just hope people can sharing their own experience with me as well.